Photo

Snap Internet Explorer desktop view (WTF?)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:18

I've seen a some video of Internet Explorer from a Snap mode aka 1/3 of the screen use for IE. The problem I have is that it should be deploying mobile view or a responsive view of the site. I found it useless to have IE if you can't use the mobile view when having it in 1/3 of the screen and the tv show or game 2/3 of the rest.

#2 Jarrichvdv

Jarrichvdv

Not all who wander are lost

• Phone: Windows Phone 8 GDR3

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:28

Hmm, yea. Makes sense.

#3 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:35

How can IE deploy a responsive view if the site in question doesn't have it? Most sites still ignore IE and only support Chrome for such stuff.

#4 XorpiZ

XorpiZ

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:36

How can IE deploy a responsive view if the site in question doesn't have it? Most sites still ignore IE and only support Chrome for such stuff.

But it doesn't even work with Bing. :(

#5 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:37

You could navigate to the mobile version of the site you're on. Snap view seems to be more of a reference view than it is intended for a full browsing experience.

1/3 view of anything on IE/Xbox is better than the Wii's browser. :p

#6 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2013 - 13:03

If they are only supporting Chrome, they aren't responsive. Responsive design is supposed to be device independent - it's kind of the whole point of it.

#7 bogas04

bogas04

This title is bogus

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 18 November 2013 - 13:04

Most sites rely on UA over the resolution to fire up their mobile version. Open touch.facebook.com and use it in 1/3rd mode , you'll like it (sucks coz IE zooms out for that mode). But this is something which will require to change UA when in that mode , which is pretty weird I guess..

#8 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 November 2013 - 14:54

Oh, god, no.  If I wanted to have the crippled page experience, I'd specify the crippled page URL.  At 1920x1200 (or 1080), even just a third of that is still 640 pixels wide, which is plenty good for a lot of pages.

Besides, with even small devices starting to get desktop-size resolutions, IMO it doesn't make sense to have pages switch sizes arbitrarily.