Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 November 2013 - 17:28

Great, so they have the 8x4 in stock near you as well.. Let me know how it turns out.

Went out and got the Motorola SURFboard eXtreme (SB6141), it's still hooked up to my G router, because this damn AirPort Extreme is being a pain the ass. I click the status which has 2 issues I guess.

1: Setup over WAN Found out I can leave this unchecked

2: Double NA

So, I have no clue what's going on there. But I did a speedtest, and it does feel faster. And if I'm being told G routers are old, I can't wait to see what the APE can do.

3127019165.png

But back to the APE, I even updated the firmware to 7.7.2 and still having issues.

#17 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:59

Well that is not 50Mbps -- so you got the 6141, that is 8x4 - nice.

Dude I thought the Apple stuff just works? ;) No you would not be configuring it off your wan.. You should just plug in its wan to your cable modem, and you should be done from a NAT internet connection sort of thing.

Then all you should have to do is setup your wireless security.. It should take all of like 3 minutes tops really! Maybe its defective? But an old G is highly unlikely to be able to route 50 wan to lan, I am actually kind of surprised your seeing 30+ What is the make and model of your current router?

#18 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:14

Well that is not 50Mbps -- so you got the 6141, that is 8x4 - nice.

Dude I thought the Apple stuff just works? ;) No you would not be configuring it off your wan.. You should just plug in its wan to your cable modem, and you should be done from a NAT internet connection sort of thing.

Then all you should have to do is setup your wireless security.. It should take all of like 3 minutes tops really! Maybe its defective? But an old G is highly unlikely to be able to route 50 wan to lan, I am actually kind of surprised your seeing 30+ What is the make and model of your current router?

Weird. I went to Network Preferences and my ethernet settings were set on Manually, switched it to DHCP and it finally connected.

3128084138.png

#19 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2013 - 13:09

hehehe - Oh that is rich!!

Dude 96 -- that is screaming!!! And your paying for 50? Maybe I should switch to that tier.. Would love the 12 up vs my 5.

#20 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 November 2013 - 18:08

hehehe - Oh that is rich!!

Dude 96 -- that is screaming!!! And your paying for 50? Maybe I should switch to that tier.. Would love the 12 up vs my 5.

Yeah only paying for the Blast package.

What's the difference between router IP address and LAN IP Address? I got a notification when I woke up on my iMac about another device using the same IP, I open AirPort Utility and it was the LAN IP Address.

I haven't noticed anything different from my other devices with the WiFi. I know my Xbox One still only gets 2 bars and my TV that it's hooked up to get full bars.

What I do like is that I can see what devices are hooked up to my network from just opening up AirPort Utility.

#21 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:49

Well the router would have 2 addresses -- its wan or public IP.. Something other than 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.16-31.x.x those are rfc1918 address and are not viable on the public internet and are reserved for local use.

So your router would also have 1 of those on its LAN side, say 192.168.1.1 that would be your gateway to get off the network and use the internet. So your machines would be say 192.168.1.2-254 range

I don't know what the Apple stuff defaults too for lan addresses or dhcp scope.

What mode are you running your APE wifi in G only, N only G+N is it dual 2.4 and 5, are you connecting to which one.

As to bars -- so your saying your TV shows full bars, and the xbox one that is I assume right next to it only shows 2?

Bars don't always mean that much - what kind of speeds does it get? You sure your not connected to the wireless across the street with 2 bars.. I have seen it quite a few times to be honest.

User: How come I come I can not see my printer anymore?
Admin: Because your connected to the linksys SSID across the street! Not your linksys - Why did you not change your freaking SSID and setup security?
User: What is an SSID?
Admin:
facepalm.gif

#22 OP Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2013 - 17:52

Well the router would have 2 addresses -- its wan or public IP.. Something other than 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x or 172.16-31.x.x those are rfc1918 address and are not viable on the public internet and are reserved for local use.

So your router would also have 1 of those on its LAN side, say 192.168.1.1 that would be your gateway to get off the network and use the internet. So your machines would be say 192.168.1.2-254 range

I don't know what the Apple stuff defaults too for lan addresses or dhcp scope.

What mode are you running your APE wifi in G only, N only G+N is it dual 2.4 and 5, are you connecting to which one.

As to bars -- so your saying your TV shows full bars, and the xbox one that is I assume right next to it only shows 2?

Bars don't always mean that much - what kind of speeds does it get? You sure your not connected to the wireless across the street with 2 bars.. I have seen it quite a few times to be honest.

User: How come I come I can not see my printer anymore?
Admin: Because your connected to the linksys SSID across the street! Not your linksys - Why did you not change your freaking SSID and setup security?
User: What is an SSID?
Admin:
attachicon.giffacepalm.gif

Lol, sorry for all these questions.

Alright, I don't know what my devices are connecting to. I have 2 networks, one is 2.4ghz and the other is 5ghz. My Xbox One was connected to the 2.4GHz and was getting like 38MB/s, connected it to 5GHz and got 65MB/s.

I guess everything is good to go now. Thank you once again for all the help.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!