am I the only one that fine tattoos stupid?

Have 2 sleeves done, and I consider my tattoos gorgeous and could not care less what people think.

Its a bit sad really that some people on here hold the views they do.

Trying living a little, bunch of bloomin sqaures :p

Oh and maybe just maybe, some people get tattoos because they mean something personal, or want to hide/cover part of there body? And want something permanent? i.e not some dumb ass t-shirt.

Mind you as an artist Im probably a little bias.

Tattoos are as subjective as the art they depict and to the individual who has them.

I have Mario & Bowser as a sleeve, as its the 1st game I ever played and I,ll always have a place in my heart, plus Im a mario era child (born same year).

Other arm is a design I created based on my own art work, it sat about for about 3yrs then my sister convinced me to get it done. Everyone I know loves it and says it captures who I am perfectly.

• Like 2

^

"Trying living a little"

A little? Huh? The second you finish it your whole life is lived with it. 

But that's that YOLO s*** that is going around I guess. 

^

"Trying living a little"

A little? Huh? The second you finish it your whole life is lived with it. 

But that's that YOLO s*** that is going around I guess. 

YOLO is probably the last thing that is said before a death certificate with the cause of "accident" is issued

I agree tattoos are a stupid waste of money, and are a mutilation of your body.

Many people regret them in later years.

On the other hand, temporary tats that you can wash away, can be fun. ;)

These are just my views -- I am not telling anyone what to do.

I think some tattoos look really cool.  I'd like to get sleeves one day.. but as it is permanent.. it has to be something I really like.  As of now.. I've just not seen anything.

While i do not think tattoos are stupid i think that if someone is going to get a tattoo a lot of thought should be put into it. rather than just getting a tattoo on a whim. 

i am not certain where i heard this but you should frame a photo of what you want as a tattoo and put it somewhere in your house that you have to look at it every day and if after a year you still like it, then you can get it as a tattoo.

I am a supervisor for a banks contact centre and software developer and i am currently doing training for managerial positions within this bank inc roles within the main business. As well as that i regularly meet with clients.

only reason i mentioned my job is because i have both my arms tattooed heavily and large gauge ear lobes and a large gauge lip stretch. I started with body modification quite young which was silly because it could have affected future careers but I'm lucky with the role i have got.

i do admit though, tattoos and body modification is getting more mainstream which is good for the people who want to get tattoos for personal reasons and express themselves as they see fit but are scared too because of the possibility of not getting a job. Its a more acceptable practice now, but younger people are getting too modified too young Imo.

tattoos are a personal thing, its no ones place to classify all tattoos as stupid.

I'm a big fan of tattoos! I have 2 decent size ones, one of my right calf and one on the left side of my body.

Got my first one when I was 28 and the second one at 33.

I do think you spend some serious time thinking about what you want, and if you will still like this design in 20 years. Draw something yourself, or let somebody do it for you if you are not very artistic, anything is better then nr 250 out of the catalog!

Anybody getting tattoo-ed while they are drunk is an idiot. That's how you end up with Daffy duck on your shoulder or worse.

Also I would avoid any tattoo artist that even wants to tattoo you while you are drunk.

I can understand that some people have no interest in tattoo's but to call people who have them lowlifes or followers need to get a life.

We don't complain about your body, let's not complain about what we do with ours. It's a real shame that all these forums are filling up with condescending, judgmental people these days :(

• Like 3

At some point in time, a tattoo was a sign of being a bad-ass.  I'm thinking WWII vets here, where squad members would all get the same one.  When you saw these guys together, you knew they had been through a lot, and these were people who'd trust their lives to each other.  These tattoos were earned with blood.  That, I respect.

Nowadays, it seems decorative and little else.  And then, art is subjective.  I'm not gonna call any of it "stupid" like others do, but I will state that none of it ever appeals to me.

A few months ago I saw pictures of a "Gangnam Style" tattoo on some guy's arm.  I'd bet he already has to explain what it refers to.

I have 10 tats:

1.- A promise I made to my mother

2.- A promise I made to myself

3.- The title of the last poem my favorite writer ever wrote. A poem that, actually, describes very well my identity.

4.- An empty set symbol, which is also the symbol of focal length. My tools of trade are cameras and analytic philosophy applied to social theory.

5.- A black square, a void, remembering my stepfather who commited suicide

6.- A Cross, because my mother is catholic, and while I dont believe in religions I have all my faith laid upon my mother.

7.- A phrase of Nathanael West. Look him up.

8.- A fragment of Joy Division's Decades. The most important aesthetic finding in my life.

9.- An impossible triangle by Escher. The historic encounter between art, rationality and psychoanalysis. The three things I believe the most.

10.- The word "control" on my chest.

Soon I will have two more: My mother's birthdate and my grandfather's birthdate. The two people I love the most on the planet.

So, your question was not only stupidly rhetorical, but also your generalization makes you look ignorant and conservative.

The ink in my body has more meaning and context than your morality.

Or, as the Nathanael West's phrase I have says:

Your order is meaningless.

My chaos is significant.

I have one tattoo of a dragon that I wouldn't say i regret, but I wish I had spent more time thinking about it. I have wanted another tattoo for a few years yet but don't really have the money so havent spent much time looking into what I want although I have a general idea.

I can understand tattoo's arent for everyone but it shouldn't mean you think any less of a person for it. It's a very person life choice and to think of them as lower class is very wrong, I can't believe I actually have to use the quote "don't judge a book by it's cover" but it is true. My tattoo is covered so you wouldnt even know I had it unless I told you, and not a lot of people do know.

I have a tat, it's on an upper arm, of a panthers head with a dirk through it, I got it 30 years ago when i worked on the oil rigs, loads of the "bears" had tats, Many ex sailors worked the rigs, tats were like no biggie then f'sho.

My gf at the time hated my tat, and used it against me in trivial arguing... eff her, she only went and married one of my mates and ran off to that London innit...

:) tats are good, but tramp stamps and whale tails are ugghh... :D

I've seen some really beautiful tattoos, and even fallen in love with some.

But overall I'm not a fan.

I was told a year ago the Japanese believe that they're disrespectful to your parents, as your skin is a gift from them.

I can see that, and also how that would make some want to draw all over it even more.

I have 10 tats:

1.- A promise I made to my mother

2.- A promise I made to myself

3.- The title of the last poem my favorite writer ever wrote. A poem that, actually, describes very well my identity.

4.- An empty set symbol, which is also the symbol of focal length. My tools of trade are cameras and analytic philosophy applied to social theory.

5.- A black square, a void, remembering my stepfather who commited suicide

6.- A Cross, because my mother is catholic, and while I dont believe in religions I have all my faith laid upon my mother.

7.- A phrase of Nathanael West. Look him up.

8.- A fragment of Joy Division's Decades. The most important aesthetic finding in my life.

9.- An impossible triangle by Escher. The historic encounter between art, rationality and psychoanalysis. The three things I believe the most.

10.- The word "control" on my chest.

Soon I will have two more: My mother's birthdate and my grandfather's birthdate. The two people I love the most on the planet.

So, your question was not only stupidly rhetorical, but also your generalization makes you look ignorant and conservative.

The ink in my body has more meaning and context than your morality.

Or, as the Nathanael West's phrase I have says:

Not even conservative, I know a lot of real conservatives and not just right leaning Libertarians with tattoos, his whole comment was just ignorant and elitist, nothing else, most real conservatives are nothing like what the press claims they are :)

Skim through the first page and no one mention about the "fine" and "find" error.  Should probably fix that.

Back on topic. In Asia, the tatoos are embedded on the skin with spells that does its task such as making themselves impenetrable by objects such as knives or guns.  There was one person I know that has such thing on him and they can't kill him with a gun.  Shot many times but the bullets didn't go through him and bounces off so they bury him alive.  In the western society, tattoos are used differently.  Tattoos in Asia are seen as ones with some magical spell placed on him for a certain purpose.

I have 2 tattoos and soon to be three

They all have a meaning to me and are not just random

It comes down to the person getting them if they want to get one then that is their choice

My two so far are

• The date i got married in Roman numerals on my wrist (and now not just a chavvy line of numerals
  • My sons hand print and his date on birth in binary on my back

I will post pics later if anyone is interested

I have 2 tattoos and soon to be three

They all have a meaning to me and are not just random

It comes down to the person getting them if they want to get one then that is their choice

My two so far are

• The date i got married in Roman numerals on my wrist (and now not just a chavvy line of numerals
  • My sons hand print and his date on birth in binary on my back

I will post pics later if anyone is interested

Maybe there should be another thread to show off tat's :)