Photo

Disable ISO Mounting in Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2013 - 23:44

Is there anyway to disable the built in ISO Mounting in Windows 8.1 ? I prefer to use my own that I like better.

#2 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 28 November 2013 - 23:48

Then use yours. There is not point in disabling it.

#3 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 28 November 2013 - 23:48

Is there anyway to disable the built in ISO Mounting in Windows 8.1 ? I prefer to use my own that I like better.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (not at home so can't check), but if I recall you just need to associate ISO's with another program and that'll take care of it, even the context menu will be disabled. It only works if ISO's are associated with Explorer.

#4 OP max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 28 November 2013 - 23:50

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (not at home so can't check), but if I recall you just need to associate ISO's with another program and that'll take care of it, even the context menu will be disabled. It only works if ISO's are associated with Explorer.

That is my problem the context menu little option is not disabled when I do that. Reason why I want to disable the built in mounting of ISOs.

#5 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 28 November 2013 - 23:59

That is my problem the context menu little option is not disabled when I do that. Reason why I want to disable the built in mounting of ISOs.

Should be...

#6 OP max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2013 - 00:01

I will just go back to Windows 7 64 bit no big deal. Thanks.

#7 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 29 November 2013 - 00:05

I don't see the value if it's not the default handler, but:

Regedit -> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Windows.ISO.File -> shell -> delete 'mount' and 'burn'.

#8 OP max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2013 - 00:07

I don't see the value if it's not the default handler, but:

Regedit -> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT -> Windows.ISO.File -> shell -> delete 'mount'

Thanks.

#9 este

este

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2013 - 00:31

I will just go back to Windows 7 64 bit no big deal. Thanks.

Over something as trivial as this? lol...

#10 Top Qat

Top Qat

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S 3

Posted 29 November 2013 - 00:33

Over something as trivial as this? lol...

I thought the same thing.

#11 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 14
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 29 November 2013 - 00:34

What opens when you double-click an ISO?

And agreed with above.. just set the open-with handler and remove the context menus if it's not working, takes like 5 seconds... a lot easier than a reinstall. Killing a fly with a nuke and all that.

#12 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:55

And how does your utility (even a home-rolled one) use less RAM (or resources) than File Explorer (the renamed Windows Explorer, which handles ISO mounting)?  At worst, File Explorer adds an additional process per ISO it mounts - it uses no more RAM on a per-drive or even per-ISO basis (at up to six drives).  Even the additional processes chew up no more in the way of RAM use.  (File Explorer, like Windows Explorer in previous versions, is always running - remember, it's the shell behind other necessaries, such as the Taskbar.)  That is less than any third-party ISO mounting utility i have seen - free OR fee. 

#13 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:06

And how does your utility (even a home-rolled one) use less RAM (or resources) than File Explorer (the renamed Windows Explorer, which handles ISO mounting)?  At worst, File Explorer adds an additional process per ISO it mounts - it uses no more RAM on a per-drive or even per-ISO basis (at up to six drives).  Even the additional processes chew up no more in the way of RAM use.  (File Explorer, like Windows Explorer in previous versions, is always running - remember, it's the shell behind other necessaries, such as the Taskbar.)  That is less than any third-party ISO mounting utility i have seen - free OR fee. 

I don't think he is making an argument that what he wants to use is less RAM. For whatever reason he likes whatever he wants to use better. Maybe it supports more file types than just ISOs like WinCDEmu, Virtual Clone Drive, Daemon Tools all do. Hell, some of those have additional features such as defeating copy protection mechanisms on discs. I use to play Diablo II with ripped ISOs in place of using CDs back in the day with DTools.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!