Photo

[Hoax] PS4 Jailbreaking (with OrbisOS 0day)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 InTheSwiss

InTheSwiss

Neowinian

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:25

Seems the PS4 may have already been hacked?!

<snipped>

Edit: looks like it was all a hoax :( http://wololo.net/20...-scene-on-fire/

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:42

I removed the link due to its content. We don't condone piracy around here. (Y)

#3 +FiB3R

FiB3R

"the sun is definitely rising on a new dawn!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:57

I removed the link due to its content. We don't condone piracy around here. (Y)

Updated link with references to piracy removed...

http://pastebin.com/YDKnHcTY

Just so people can see the BS.

Is that ok, Nick?

#4 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 01 December 2013 - 13:05

Is that ok, Nick?

As far as I know Jailbreaking isn't illegal, so it's all good in my mind. I will point out that other staff members may overrule me on this though. Thanks for clearing the pastebin file up. (Y)

#5 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 01 December 2013 - 13:22

Hello,

This was bound to happen sooner or later on a x86 platform.

If its a fake, its just delaying the inevitable...

#6 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 01 December 2013 - 13:32

lol.. Assigned/UnAssigned code?  I assume he means Signed/UNSigned... and of course you could run SIGNED code.. all code that runs is signed.

#7 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 01 December 2013 - 13:33

Hello,

This was bound to happen sooner or later on a x86 platform.

If its a fake, its just delaying the inevitable...

The CPU type isn't indictive if it's likely to be hacked or not.

#8 riahc3

riahc3

Posted 01 December 2013 - 13:48

Hello,

The CPU type isn't indictive if it's likely to be hacked or not.

I highly disagree.

Programmers have been programming (worded wrong but its understood) for the x86 architectures since about the 80s. Any softwared related (or processor) exploit depending on this arch, would probably make it easier.

Granted more times its a software bug that is exploited but this doesnt rule out thats it could be the architecture's fault as well.

(I might have worded my previous comment incorrectly; This "hack" isnt related to the arch, its related to the OS so my apoligies)

#9 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 01 December 2013 - 13:52

Hello,
I highly disagree.

Programmers have been programming (worded wrong but its understood) for the x86 architectures since about the 80s. Any softwared related (or processor) exploit depending on this arch, would probably make it easier.

Granted more times its a software bug that is exploited but this doesnt rule out thats it could be the architecture's fault as well.

(I might have worded my previous comment incorrectly; This "hack" isnt related to the arch, its related to the OS so my apoligies)

The processors has nothing to do with it.  Unless there is a CPU level exploit that works for all x86 instructioned CPUs.   Any exploit will be through the OS which is CPU Independant, or they will be direct hardware hacks (intercept lines, memory dumps, etc).

#10 +fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 01 December 2013 - 13:52

Good(that it ended up being a hoax).. I use to be all for consoles getting hacked.. but now.. it really hurts the scene.. I hope it never gets hacked to be honest.. If you want "homebrew" buy a RaspberryPi or something.. If you want to play copies of games for free. get a PC.. lol  

#11 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 December 2013 - 14:08

Hello,
I highly disagree.

Erm yeah... Things like intercepting memory buses, halting the processor, changing the memory (which is most likely encrypted and the decryption is most likely done INSIDE the processor to avoid the key being on a seperate chip which you could just read it out from)... You can do that on any CPU, powerPC, arm, x86, sparc, PIC, AVR, etc.

OS exploits are again, completely independant from the CPU type, if you make a piece of C code that has a potential buffer-overflow bug, no matter what arch you compile it for, it'll still be present in the assembly instructions for that CPU.

Unless you're talking about something like there being a flaw or bug with how a CPU does something, like (this is made up) if you hold an address like wrong it allows unsigned code execution, in which case there's going to be even LESS problems with this because x86 is the tried-and-tested mainstream CPU and has been for over 30 years now. If there was a hardware exploit suddenly discovered in the x86 architecture, it would effect pretty much almost all computer systems on the whole planet, hence why they do very stringent testing.

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 01 December 2013 - 15:40

Title changed.

#13 riahc3

riahc3

Posted 01 December 2013 - 15:49

Hello,

The processors has nothing to do with it.  Unless there is a CPU level exploit that works for all x86 instructioned CPUs.   Any exploit will be through the OS which is CPU Independant, or they will be direct hardware hacks (intercept lines, memory dumps, etc).

Erm yeah... Things like intercepting memory buses, halting the processor, changing the memory (which is most likely encrypted and the decryption is most likely done INSIDE the processor to avoid the key being on a seperate chip which you could just read it out from)... You can do that on any CPU, powerPC, arm, x86, sparc, PIC, AVR, etc.
OS exploits are again, completely independant from the CPU type, if you make a piece of C code that has a potential buffer-overflow bug, no matter what arch you compile it for, it'll still be present in the assembly instructions for that CPU.

Unless you're talking about something like there being a flaw or bug with how a CPU does something, like (this is made up) if you hold an address like wrong it allows unsigned code execution, in which case there's going to be even LESS problems with this because x86 is the tried-and-tested mainstream CPU and has been for over 30 years now. If there was a hardware exploit suddenly discovered in the x86 architecture, it would effect pretty much almost all computer systems on the whole planet, hence why they do very stringent testing.

Both of you misinterpreted me. Never mind.

#14 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 01 December 2013 - 16:08

Good(that it ended up being a hoax).. I use to be all for consoles getting hacked.. but now.. it really hurts the scene.. I hope it never gets hacked to be honest.. If you want "homebrew" buy a RaspberryPi or something.. If you want to play copies of games for free. get a PC.. lol  

I imagine at some point there will be an 'emulator' similar to WINE for the PS4/XBone given that the PC and the systems all share the same ISA. It is a different ball game from prior game system architectures. Reverse engineer the loading process, implement stub OS services, implement wrappers for the OGL/DX ABI calls, and you are probably well on your way there.

#15 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 December 2013 - 16:58

I imagine at some point there will be an 'emulator' similar to WINE for the PS4/XBone given that the PC and the systems all share the same ISA. It is a different ball game from prior game system architectures. Reverse engineer the loading process, implement stub OS services, implement wrappers for the OGL/DX ABI calls, and you are probably well on your way there.

It took sony/ms years to make the implementations from scratch and optimise them, having to implement an entire system using a guessed spec would take an incredibly long time and be incredibly inefficient. It'll take a long longer than 10 years before something even starts, 12 years on and there's still no xbox emulator for PC, and that's a puny P3 733MHz system.