12 posts in this topic

Posted

It's being reported that Sony

Posted

I'd be very surprised if it hits then and works. Plus i'd be even more surprised if it allows you play PS3 games.

I still think if you're going to offer backwards compatibility you have to do it with the hardware in the box.

1 person likes this

Posted

I wonder if they will offer this as free service for ps+ subscribers.

I'm very interested in seeing this work well.

Posted

It's kinda surprising, they buy a pretty much ready made service and they take years to get it up and running.

And people expected them to make a fully featured from scratch cloud service in a few months ?

Seems like they rebuilt the whole thing, so why did they even bother buying them...

Posted

Source

Sony Source

You're going to have to wait a full year and a half to be able to stream your old PS3 games.

By then it's way too late...

BC is only useful (And used) at the beginning of a console's life.  By 2015, the PS4 should have enough of its own games available that few people would ever think to play a PS3 game anymore...

3 people like this

Posted

Well this is quite something. 18months or so out for this to implemented properly. Will gamers still be interested in this in 18 months?

Once my PS3 library built up quite a bit, I didn't even bother with the PS2 games (I got the OG launch 60GB, PS3) on my ps3.

My only games I have that are ps2 are shadow of collosus and ico. Which I may just buy the PSN versions and be done with the physical copies.

When it comes to things like this, you have to strike while there's the window of opportunity. Which is about 12-18months, there's usually 1-3 AAA next gen games, that will slowly make you forget about your last gen games.

Posted

When it comes to things like this, you have to strike while there's the window of opportunity. Which is about 12-18months, there's usually 1-3 AAA next gen games, that will slowly make you forget about your last gen games.

Very well said, backwards compatibility is most useful during the times the libraries are being built up, not after.

Posted

Oh well, looks like I'll skip buying a Vita then!

Either the Vita TV or Gaikai-Vita will suit me fine.

Posted

I've just left my PS3 in the spare room as a "remote play" server for my PS3 games. If I want to play them, I'll use that.

It would have been nice to have BC sooner though.

Posted

Oh well, looks like I'll skip buying a Vita then!

Either the Vita TV or Gaikai-Vita will suit me fine.

Yeah, I'm at the same point. It will come down to cost and quality offered by each option. I still need to see both in action first.

Posted

By then it's way too late...

BC is only useful (And used) at the beginning of a console's life.  By 2015, the PS4 should have enough of its own games available that few people would ever think to play a PS3 game anymore...

Sony are probably counting on this being the case.

Posted

I'd be very surprised if it hits then and works. Plus i'd be even more surprised if it allows you play PS3 games.

I still think if you're going to offer backwards compatibility you have to do it with the hardware in the box.

Exactly.  If I can emulate a Nintendo 64 or a Playstation 1 on a 10 year old desktop PC, then I should be able to play PS3 games on my PS4.