As Xbox One Complaints Increase, Microsoft Promises Improvements

It's interesting how the EA sports games are smaller, I have to think they're just tweaked ports of the 360 versions with higher res textures and little else maybe?    It'd be nice if developers can bring the sizes down going forward though.  I think next gen games in the 20-30GB range makes more sense than 40GB.

Interesting to hear this. I have a Day One and I have never had slow issues or any of these other issues mentioned. I don't know how I am any different. Kinect works great, speed is great, power on and off is great, load times are nice. The dashboard is not great, but not bad. I walk in the room and say "Xbox On" and it turns on within a few seconds, turns on my TV and my AV receiver. When I am done playing a game I say "Xbox go home" and it quickly goes to the Dashboard and then I say "Xbox power off" and then "yes" and it turns everything off for me as I walk away.

• Like 2

I hope that's not true, otherwise that's completely stupid. Thankfully, if they were really that shortsighted, I'd be willing to bet that should be an easy enough fix. (I hope)

It's actually stupider. If you hit the guide button to go to anywhere outside of xbox music, it instantly stops. You have to have it snapped to even go to the console settings.

Someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread and I completely agree. Compartmentalizing the Operating System and making everything an app was a mistake. I've had some really weird issues where I decide to go to the friends app - It loads (slowly) and when I go back to my game (Madden especially) the game is completely frozen. I have to force quit the game app, thereby loosing all of my progress.

I think the only true way of fixing this is to move some of the console's features back into the OS and I doubt it's going to happen. They will focus on optimizing and making it faster, but it will never be like the xbox 360. It's one step forward and one step backward (not two, heh).

Interesting to hear this. I have a Day One and I have never had slow issues or any of these other issues mentioned. I don't know how I am any different. Kinect works great, speed is great, power on and off is great, load times are nice. The dashboard is not great, but not bad. I walk in the room and say "Xbox On" and it turns on within a few seconds, turns on my TV and my AV receiver. When I am done playing a game I say "Xbox go home" and it quickly goes to the Dashboard and then I say "Xbox power off" and then "yes" and it turns everything off for me as I walk away.

Same here.... No issues whatsoever. My biggest problems have just been bugs with BF4 lol.. and those will eventually get resolved. The Xbox itself, the only thing left I want is for them to get the skype snap working again like they had in demos.

It's actually stupider. If you hit the guide button to go to anywhere outside of xbox music, it instantly stops. You have to have it snapped to even go to the console settings.

Someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread and I completely agree. Compartmentalizing the Operating System and making everything an app was a mistake. I've had some really weird issues where I decide to go to the friends app - It loads (slowly) and when I go back to my game (Madden especially) the game is completely frozen. I have to force quit the game app, thereby loosing all of my progress.

I think the only true way of fixing this is to move some of the console's features back into the OS and I doubt it's going to happen. They will focus on optimizing and making it faster, but it will never be like the xbox 360. It's one step forward and one step backward (not two, heh).

But why does compartmentalizing it make fixing the issues impossible?

Remember, this is windows. It should be able to jump between aps or games without an issue (Windows 8 can easily jump from a metro app to the desktop and back again without missing a beat). Going with this setup seems to be a good thing in my mind. It means MS can push more updates at a faster pace, not being forced into a larger, OS wide update, just to fix bugs, etc that only occur when accessing certain parts of the OS.

I just think this is more proof of a rough version 1.0. I think it seems fundamentally sound. Most of the issues we are talking about involve UI tweaks or fixing bugs/performance issues. Heck, the problem you experienced is another good example of something that could be fixed in software, not requiring a complete rework of the OS.

Same for me....

I'd say that they wanted to get the base OS done, the core features, and later on they'll add in things and update things.  The music app not playing in the background should be a easy fix with a small update for the app itself.    I'm sure it's not there because ATM if it's in the background playing for example then they'll have to add music player controls into the default menu app that pops up when you hit the xbox button on the controller.  Or something so you can control it without bringing it back up.  I'm betting this is why it's not there yet as that is a bit more work.  Unless people are fine with just switching back to the app to change to the next track or something but I'm sure they'd want quick access controls from anywhere in the system when music is playing in the background.   It's like you can already picture what the next request will be.  heh.

This.

The OS has some problems which is to be expected, but as a whole it's excellent. The fact that I can control the whole OS with my voice when I'm doing stuff in the room or being able to get to any part of the OS from game with my voice instantly and switch back or even the simple things like Xbox controlling my volume. The crystal clear chat in party's are awesome also and I don't see what the fuss is about with party's, I really don't.

I'm not having too many issues with my Xbox at the moment. But the main one is really annoying - not being able to install a game whilst connected to my network. Does anyone know why that is? It just sits at 0% and then says "Installation Stopped". I instead have to take it off my network, install it, rejoin to network then install any update after. This has been my biggest gripe so far.

Kinect has been working perfectly for me now I know the commands and have stopped talking at it and now talking to it like a person. I also, only have one other friend who has an Xbox so have yet to try out the party side of it.

No real issues for me other than the ones caused by DICE with BF4.

People are complaining about features being missing from what was available in 360. Many of them must not remember that the 360 did not arrive fully featured and took a few updates to get to a more complete state.  The same goes for my PS4 also, both are pretty basic but will grown and blossom.

• Like 1

I too have had very little troubles with my Xbox One experience. "Xbox on" and Xbox turn off" work just fine, the gestures are recognized 99% of the time, and the UI hasn't got slower at any point during operation of the Xbox.

Some little gripes are:

- No notifications (or at least an option to turn them on) for friends coming online--not even for friends in Favourites,

- No battery status indicator for my controller,

- Xbox One does not know the difference between a game lobby invite and an invite to party chat,

- No more quick access to Achievements (with little details, not the full-fledged app experience).

Other than that I've been enjoying my experience thus far! Voice commands are great. I am very much behind the suggestion I read that says we should be able to speak what we want to say in a text input scenario instead of typing it on a virtual keyboard. Especially since they already have voice commands--that means they know what we're saying already.

Only issue I have had is Battlefield 4 has kicked me out from MP all the way to the Xbox One Home screen when connecting to games. 

But what annoys me are a few 'gripes' which make me feel like the console is 'incomplete' and missing features, for example:

- Controller Battery Life, there is no way of finding out how much charge is left.

- Party Chat, completely different to what we are used to with the Xbox 360. I find it very awkward to use and annoying when having people in a party that are playing different games.

- Friends List, why can't I have an app just for friends?! Instead I have to go through a few screens to get to the list. Also the list always shows as all, it can't ever save to show just online people.

- External HDD Support, for an all in one entertainment system, the fact it doesn't allow me to plug an external hard drive in to a USB port and not play Movies/Music is disappointing.

- Notifications are weak, it doesn't show me when friends come online ect.

Hopefully updates will come through fast to fix this 'gripes'.

The cold boot looks like it takes forever.

Cold boot takes about 30 seconds for me.

Of course booting from standby takes 4-5 seconds :laugh:

I'm not sure why I would ever not use the standby feature.

Here is the website with a compiled list of the suggestions so far:

http://xboxfeedback.com/

Pretty good stuff so far.

Although I already spotted some issues that are not issues at all because you can already do them.

1. There was a suggestion for allowing notifications to be turned off. Well in fact, you can already do that. There is a check box in settings for each type of notification and you can uncheck them all.

2. There was a suggestion to have an option disabling the Xbox Turn Off command. Well that also already exists in settings.

So its a good start, but I think it needs a bit more moderation to check the validity of some of the suggestions.

Also, Major Nelson has commented that the Xbox team is following both the reddit page and this website, so they are in fact taking in all the suggestions. I hope they are able to start rolling out some updates over the next month or two.

One journalist, writing for Edge magazine, published a scathing editorial today titled "Xbox, why? The baffling incompetence of the Xbox One interface."

"Xbox One's debut user experience is stuttering, clunky, and a serious challenge to Xbox Live's long-held status as the premier console service," Edge wrote.

"Bluntly, they take too long to load, don't offer the functionality that Xbox Live was built on, and are, inexplicably, badly handled by the OS."

lol edge.

r1HYoIG.jpg?1

uh huh

• Like 2

At least these are just software problems.  Software problems can be fixed with updates at no cost to the end-users.

The cold boot looks like it takes forever.

The videos for both systems that I've seen have showed ridiculous startup times, like 45 seconds or something.

I have to say that Edge loves to stir the pot.

Its almost as if they actually profit from making people angry and to create more fanboys for the never ending war, a war they are happy to support :rolleyes:

Its one thing that aggravates me about the gaming media and the gaming 'news' sources from places like youtube.  so many of them blatantly stir the pot, knowing full well that they are contributing to the insanity that many of them will then decry.

I have to say that Edge loves to stir the pot.

Its almost as if they actually profit from making people angry and to create more fanboys for the never ending war, a war they are happy to support :rolleyes:

Its one thing that aggravates me about the gaming media and the gaming 'news' sources from places like youtube.  so many of them blatantly stir the pot, knowing full well that they are contributing to the insanity that many of them will then decry.

I've said this many times when it comes to reviews but people shouldn't take them as the "truth", they're just glorified opinions. I check out video reviews but more for the game play videos. That's why demos are such a good option to have.

I hope MS issues a patch soon for some of these core issues.

How do you use "Standby Mode?"  I have my Dish Hopper/AV Receiver/TV all controlled by my xbox.  When I am done watching tv or games, I say Xbox Off, and everything turns off.  I assume this isn't standby mode?

I hope MS issues a patch soon for some of these core issues.

How do you use "Standby Mode?"  I have my Dish Hopper/AV Receiver/TV all controlled by my xbox.  When I am done watching tv or games, I say Xbox Off, and everything turns off.  I assume this isn't standby mode?

One way to know if standby is working, turn off your console and check the light on the power brick. If the light is white, its in standby. If its orange its not. You can enable or disable this from the settings section.

You can also control how the Xbox deals with your components from the settings section. I have mine set to not turn off anything else when I turn off my X1 via voice.

I'm not sure if my Xbox One is having a real issue or if this is just my luck, but my TV has stopped working as well as many of my games. I've had to completely disable the resume feature and cold boot my system for the programs to work again.

Because of this I can no longer use my voice to turn on the system. I'm getting very close to pulling out the tv feature completely and just use the damn system as a gaming console only.

I'm not sure if my Xbox One is having a real issue or if this is just my luck, but my TV has stopped working as well as many of my games. I've had to completely disable the resume feature and cold boot my system for the programs to work again.

Because of this I can no longer use my voice to turn on the system. I'm getting very close to pulling out the tv feature completely and just use the damn system as a gaming console only.

What do you mean TV does not work? What is the exact behavior? Same for the game issue. Maybe we can offer some advice with more details.

If the issue is that serious, then the least thing I would do is call MS and get support. If it is somehow a defect, you would want a replacement.