iMac Kiosk Mode Help

Hello there everyone, wanted to get some help because I have been tasked to work out an iMac Kiosk Image. I have done a lot of research online and so far I only found one good working guide. I am not a Mac person, don?t use them a lot but if you guys can share some thoughts on this topic and share some info with, it would be really appreciated. Doing this in Windows is easier especially 8.1, but I never worked on a Mac and Kiosk before, so any help would be useful.

Current OS 10.7.5

It would help give us an idea of exactly what you need if you describe a set of tasks that users would be expected to be doing on this kiosk machine. Some examples would be...browsing the web only from a series of whitelisted websites, running locally installed applications, printing stuff, etc.

I remember one really locked-down kiosk image that I worked on where we used Opera in kiosk mode and used that to replace Finder.app... No matter how hard users tried to wreck the system, it would recover in a few seconds. :D

It would help give us an idea of exactly what you need if you describe a set of tasks that users would be expected to be doing on this kiosk machine. Some examples would be...browsing the web only from a series of whitelisted websites, running locally installed applications, printing stuff, etc.

I remember one really locked-down kiosk image that I worked on where we used Opera in kiosk mode and used that to replace Finder.app... No matter how hard users tried to wreck the system, it would recover in a few seconds. :D

You have the right idea. This machine I would like to only run the Browser and have everything else locked down. Use able to view good sites and not the bad sites. This would be in Customer service location, so the safer, the better.

Phew, it's been a long time since I've been on OSX, so I apologize if my information is out of date.

If you want to stick with what's in the box, give a shot using Parental Controls (System Preferences) on your kiosk account. Give them just access to your browser of choice in Private Mode. Leave it up to the user to quit the browser when finished, or use an idle time script to detect five minutes of idle and then kill the app (or the entire user session followed by a quick nuking of all user preferences for that account).

If you want something more aggressive, try enabling Simple Finder and use Opera in Kiosk mode (just give them a shortcut with the correct switch on the desktop).

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/14277/how-to-kiosk-mode-a-web-page-osx-chrome

Also, what kind of filtering do you need? Is it a simple list of local/non-local pages, or do you need to give users a lot more freedom to browse?