• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• 504 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:43

I'm on an Apprenticeship that's due to end this month (after Xmas I assume) and I have been doing web development but the thing is I don't enjoy web development any more and I have plans to take a few months time to sort my health out and my life, but I've been told I am not leaving, which was not stated in my contract when I started here.   

I feel like a prisoner being forced to do things I don't want to do.   It makes me feel miserable everyday.  I don't want to be a web developer any more and people never listen to me. 

What can I do?

#2 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,462 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:49

Is it a paid apprenticeship?

I would read over the terms of the contract. Apprenticeships should have a termination date, I believe. Mine did. Your contract should also have something about termination rights. You would be able to hand in your notice, but you would need to see how much notice you need to give the company.

Ultimately, they cannot keep you there indefinitely. Apprenticeships and jobs don't work like that.

#3 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,684 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:00

Hello,

but I've been told I am not leaving, which was not stated in my contract when I started here.   

I feel like a prisoner being forced to do things I don't want to do.

You could.....not go???

Paided or unpaid, it doesnt really matter. If you dont go, either:

1: They fire you.
2: You dont pass the course.

About #2, you if its a apprenticeship (if its to pass a course, its problably unpaid) you should keep going (also builds responibility) and do the min. You dont have to do it right as you are "learning" but have to do SOMETHING and you will pass.

people never listen to me.

illage3, meet real life. Real life, meet illage3.

#4 OP illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• 504 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:03

Is it a paid apprenticeship?

I would read over the terms of the contract. Apprenticeships should have a termination date, I believe. Mine did. Your contract should also have something about termination rights. You would be able to hand in your notice, but you would need to see how much notice you need to give the company.

Ultimately, they cannot keep you there indefinitely. Apprenticeships and jobs don't work like that.

Yeah I'm getting paid. They want to "Help" me find another job but really all they want from me is free tech support, as I said I never had any say in this matter, never have any say in anything to be honest. 

#5 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,462 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:10

Yeah I'm getting paid. They want to "Help" me find another job but really all they want from me is free tech support, as I said I never had any say in this matter, never have any say in anything to be honest.

But you do have a say, even if you think you don't. It's a matter of reading through your contract and seeing what responsibilities you have agreed to, as well as working dates. Once the end date has been reached the contract is complete, and in order for the company to keep you they need to write up a new contract that you then need to agree to. Again, they cannot keep you indefinitely.

The idea that you do not have a say in the matter isn't correct, it may just feel like it. I've had to sit my bosses down a couple of times over the years when I've felt like I wasn't being heard, and I've made my position very clear with them.

#6 OP illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• 504 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:13

But you do have a say, even if you think you don't. It's a matter of reading through your contract and seeing what responsibilities you have agreed to, as well as working dates. Once the end date has been reached the contract is complete, and in order for the company to keep you they need to write up a new contract that you then need to agree to. Again, they cannot keep you indefinitely.

The idea that you do not have a say in the matter isn't correct, it may just feel like it. I've had to sit my bosses down a couple of times over the years when I've felt like I wasn't being heard, and I've made my position very clear with them.

Might have to take a look at the contract again.  Thanks :)

#7 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:14

What can I do?

The whole point of doing an apprenticeship is to get your foot in the door along with some experience.

If I were you, I'd think about some other new skill that you want to develop (since web development isn't your thing any more) and see if there's a demand for this skill at your current company.

You should just talk to your manager, explain your situation. They've gotten to know you by now and it seems to me that they like you and don't want to lose you. Remember, everything is negotiable.

So, what is it that you'd like to be doing?

#8 watkinsx2

watkinsx2

Neowinian

• 316 posts
  • Phone: HTC One/Lumia 920

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:16

They cannot force you to work for them, however if they are keen to keep you on after the apprenticeship has finished you must be doing something right!

#9 OP illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• 504 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:47

The whole point of doing an apprenticeship is to get your foot in the door along with some experience.

If I were you, I'd think about some other new skill that you want to develop (since web development isn't your thing any more) and see if there's a demand for this skill at your current company.

You should just talk to your manager, explain your situation. They've gotten to know you by now and it seems to me that they like you and don't want to lose you. Remember, everything is negotiable.

So, what is it that you'd like to be doing?

Something along the lines of training people to use IT systems. 

#10 OP illage3

illage3

Apprentice Game Designer

• 504 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:49

They cannot force you to work for them, however if they are keen to keep you on after the apprenticeship has finished you must be doing something right!

Its under the guise of "Helping me with me future", basically they want me to work somewhere else, me leaving might be bad PR for the company, but that isn't my concern. So they don't want to keep me.

#11 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

• 767 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:12

If you think your being forced into a job you don't want to do, then you can just get up and leave anytime you want to. No matter if it's a contract or not. It's illegel and a direct violation of human rights.

#12 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,609 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:17

If you think your being forced into a job you don't want to do, then you can just get up and leave anytime you want to. No matter if it's a contract or not. It's illegel and a direct violation of human rights.

Except when he needs it to pass a course...

Good luck dude, if anything, you have learned how some companies can take advantage. Take something out of this to prepare yourself for the future, life is full of things you don't want to do.. as long as it doesn't become the norm in the future! As you say it's only until the end of the month..

#13 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,438 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:25

Turn up for work naked.

#14 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,684 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:31

Hello,

Turn up for work naked.

Except thats illegal.......others things that have been mentioned here that he should do, arent illegal....

#15 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• 9,473 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:36

I'm on an Apprenticeship that's due to end this month (after Xmas I assume) and I have been doing web development but the thing is I don't enjoy web development any more and I have plans to take a few months time to sort my health out and my life, but I've been told I am not leaving, which was not stated in my contract when I started here.   

I feel like a prisoner being forced to do things I don't want to do.   It makes me feel miserable everyday.  I don't want to be a web developer any more and people never listen to me. 

What can I do?

Do what is asked that is written into your legally binding terms of employment you and whomever is supposed to sign.

If you get the sack, then one you're out of it and two, sue them for every penny and employment tribunal can get. 

If you don't want to do what you are contracted to do, then they can sue you.

If you contract is finished, then do a Bosman and leave.