Motherboard/PC turns on for a second then turns off

powers on for a second then powers off...could be heat related (bad contact to heat sink, too much or too little thermal paste...should be a very thin amount between the two, I spread evenly using a business card as a brush). 

Yet another reason not to build computers for your business.

There are various ways, no one way is correct but I've always found a pea sized dot in the centre and applying gentle pressure with the HSF spreads the paste pretty nicely.

Hello,

Well, chipsets back in the day were really picky but I thought modern ones really didn't care...

Im worried about that :( So must frustration of putting the motherboard together just to unplug EVERYTHING now from the case and everything else to send it back to MSI, get a replacement and not be able to test it until the 7th of January....

CPU-Z says its running in triple data rate mode, not double. I would understand if it was running in double your logic but...

Send the board back to your supplier, don't let them fob you off to MSI, you purchased from the supplier so it's their duty to replace it for you.

Hello,

It's DOA, right?

Well that DIMM slot is :p

Perhaps you can press on the retailer? Or choose a different board instead... after all, you did buy a thing that never even worked (correctly) to begin with. If distance sales agreement is in order (that is, anything you didn't buy in a brick and mortar store, but ordered online and got in a package), retailer in question might even be obligated to immediatey exchange or refund (depends on the country; it's EU consumer protection law I'm basing it on).

If I want to return the board, I dont see any problem in returning it. The problem is disconnecting everything and reconnecting everything to the new board...

You're confusing things now. There's no such thing as triple data rate. It's still DDR. And neither does it become QDR or quad data rate just because there's now four of them. Each module in and of itself works at this specific rate, being able to (in theory) send data *twice* every time the internal clock ticks. You don't sum them together.

Consider the following example I very much like, if that helps:

SDR SDRAM on a single channel is sort of a car on a single-lane country road, speed limit 90 mph.

DDR on a single channel is the same car, but towing a trailer, still on that pitiful country road. However, more stuff can be delivered now, because of the trailer.

DDR on a quad channel is the same trailer-towing car on a four-lane highway. Now, four cars can go along each other and carry four times more stuff, but the speed limit is still 90 mph.

I ment to put triple channel instead of "triple data rate". Typo.

m776.png

Hello,

Send the board back to your supplier, don't let them fob you off to MSI, you purchased from the supplier so it's their duty to replace it for you.

The problem is that the supplier will problably send it off to MSI.

Its A LOT quicker to send it directly to MSI instead of having to wait on a retailer which is already saying that most orders will be delayed for the holiday seasons. Damn Amazon...

stupid Neowin comment system, just did a comment on this afternoon only to find out it didn't even posted :pinch:

OP: glad to hear that you find out the cause: faulty board (my first guest would be a faulty PSU and then the board, i've seen that same synthoms too many times). Press on the supplier, not MSI as i don't know their policy but some brands can refuse to accept directelly from consumers faulty parts, only from a suppliers.

Hello,

stupid Neowin comment system, just did a comment on this afternoon only to find out it didn't even posted :pinch:

OP: glad to hear that you find out the cause: faulty board (my first guest would be a faulty PSU and then the board, i've seen that same synthoms too many times). Press on the supplier, not MSI as i don't know their policy but some brands can refuse to accept directelly from consumers faulty parts, only from a suppliers.

Seasonic didn't give me any buts about a PSU at all. I think MSI wont either.

Hello,

No. Meanwhile, while we wait for the RMA form to come, Im working on OCing the processor without much sucessful gain.

I think there are too many threads that are about the same PC and its causing confsuion.

Hello,

The problem is that the supplier will problably send it off to MSI.

Its A LOT quicker to send it directly to MSI instead of having to wait on a retailer which is already saying that most orders will be delayed for the holiday seasons. Damn Amazon...

Is the supplier Amazon? If so, they would send you out another one, give you a pre-paid returns label and give you 30 days to return back the faulty board. Suppliers usually do not make you wait especially if your item was DOA. A supplier depending how big they are would send the board back to their supplier who is usually an authorised distributor for the manufacturer and the distributor would return back to MSI.