OS X Recovery Question

If a MacBook Air was purchased in 2011 (running OS X 10.7.1), and I were to restore it via OS X Recovery (which downloads installation media from the net), would it install the latest version of 10.7 (10.7.5 from memory), or 10.9? Also, would it update all iLife 11 apps with the latest updates?

Or, would the unit be restored to factory conditions as when it was first purchased?

If 10.9 is later installed, is it possible to revert back to 10.7 (via OS X Recovery)?

You'll get 10.7. I'm not sure if you'll get the latest update to 10.7, but you definitely won't get 10.9 straight away. 

I recently did this to a Mac mini and an iMac, and they both got the OS they were sold with (10.7). I immediately upgraded both of them to 10.9, so I didn't check if I got the latest version of 10.7 or not.

It would make sense to push out installation media with all the latest updates, instead of the user having to download additional GBs of updates later.

You'll get 10.7. I'm not sure if you'll get the latest update to 10.7, but you definitely won't get 10.9 straight away. 

I recently did this to a Mac mini and an iMac, and they both got the OS they were sold with (10.7). I immediately upgraded both of them to 10.9, so I didn't check if I got the latest version of 10.7 or not.

My MacBook Pro came with 10.6 and my experience is a bit difference.  After installing 10.7, the recovery would reinstall 10.7.  After installing 10.8, the recovery would reinstall 10.8.  I have not tried 10.9 yet.  I'm pretty sure that recovery is updated along with the installation of the new OS, but this may only be the case for Macs like mine that came with an OS X version before 10.7.

My MacBook Pro came with 10.6 and my experience is a bit difference.  After installing 10.7, the recovery would reinstall 10.7.  After installing 10.8, the recovery would reinstall 10.8.  I have not tried 10.9 yet.  I'm pretty sure that recovery is updated along with the installation of the new OS, but this may only be the case for Macs like mine that came with an OS X version before 10.7.

Oh, I'm talking about Internet Recovery ? the thing that kicks in when your hard drive is completely nuked or you replace it with a new one. If the hard drive is still intact, the 10.9 recovery partition will indeed reinstall 10.9.

I used it on a computer with Mavericks previously installed a few weeks ago, and it downloaded Mavericks via internet recovery if memory serves. Restored from a Time Machine backup, though. Still... pretty sure if you have had Mavericks installed, IR will redownload it when the HD gets nuked.

Oh, I'm talking about Internet Recovery ? the thing that kicks in when your hard drive is completely nuked or you replace it with a new one. If the hard drive is still intact, the 10.9 recovery partition will indeed reinstall 10.9.

Oh I see.  Thanks for the clarification.

The way it works is like this if installing from usb. If you create a usb recovery disk it creates based on the current OS that is installed because its taking the recovery straight from the existing recovery disk that's on the HD. If your using a brand new HD I am not sure which one its going to install if you are going that route. I have not tested that scenario when using the internet recovery that's not already pre-made. 

Here's what actually happened:

• The Mac had OS X 10.7.2 and iLife 11 installed
  • I booted into the OS X recovery partition to format the SSD installed (and accidentally wiped the recovery partition too - woops!)
  • Thankfully, Internet Recovery saved the day - excellent tool, built into modern Mac firmware. That pretty much downloaded the recovery partition (from my understanding).
  • After installation complete, I found that OS X 10.7.5 had been installed but iLife 11 hadn't. I later found the that latter is a free download from the App Store (I'm pretty sure it checks the Mac's serial number for this). Recovery partition was back too!       
  • Firmware was not updated automatically. Security updates weren't installed either.

Internet Recovery is how I will be restoring all Macs in the future (when required). It's awesome.