Windows 8.2 pro:

The fact that there aren't any more advanced Metro apps says a lot about the quality of the platform. The software that is there, even Microsoft's own, is extremely limited in functionality compared to what we had before.

I agree a thousand percent.  I loved the Aero glass theme in Vista and 7.

Aero Glass was brilliant for multitasking since it allowed you to sort of 'feel' the window hierarchy. The taskbar allows you to see at any time what's available and always has things in a consistent place since 7. That's my biggest annoyance with 8(.1). As soon as you enter Metro you lose all visual links with anything you were doing before and it's horrible for multitasking.

• Like 2

I lost all respect for this when I seen a shortcut icon on "This-PC" instead of adding the icon via the standard "Change Desktop Icons" in the control panel.

Aero Glass was brilliant for multitasking since it allowed you to sort of 'feel' the window hierarchy. The taskbar allows you to see at any time what's available and always has things in a consistent place since 7. That's my biggest annoyance with 8(.1). As soon as you enter Metro you lose all visual links with anything you were doing before and it's horrible for multitasking.

I agree. As much as I love Metro, I wish it were more aware of desktop applications, rather than simply showing "Desktop" in the sidebar. As it is, it feels like those programs are running in a Win 7 VM, not in 8 itself. Maybe in 8.2 this will be addressed?

Show me a metro app that doesn't SUCK compared to the desktop version and I would think different...

Challenge accepted.  Try my Win32 app then PM me for the Win8 app (then tell me that my Metro app doesn't give Win32 a run for its money.

Challenge accepted.  Try my Win32 app then PM or e-mail me for the Win8 app (in beta, corey@instanthousecall.com) then tell me that my Metro app doesn't give Win32 a run for its money.

You are just using what he said as some excuse to self-promote some pay-for product of yours  :huh:. I looked at the screenshots of it on your website and it looked like crap anyway so I doubt he would be impressed.

The fact that there aren't any more advanced Metro apps says a lot about the quality of the platform. The software that is there, even Microsoft's own, is extremely limited in functionality compared to what we had before.

Rome wasn't built in a day.

You are just using what he said as some excuse to self-promote some pay-for product of yours  :huh:. I looked at the screenshots of it on your website and it looked like crap anyway so I doubt he would be impressed.

Actually not, it is a sincere offer.  I've edited out my e-mail address in it if that'll make you happy.  Somehow I doubt it will.

It was definitely livable after 2 years, plus alpha/beta dev time.

• Like 3

Challenge accepted.  Try my Win32 app then PM me for the Win8 app (then tell me that my Metro app doesn't give Win32 a run for its money.

Those are fighting words. I'll try your Metro app. (as long as it doesn't phone home, lol)

So you want to replace this "dull" looking desktop environment

209821-windows-live-mail_original.jpg

With this dull UI

Windows81Mailinbox_Web.png

One of the definitions of dull is.

"lacking interest or excitement." ... so wouldn't windows 8 be considered dull?

Nop, because while the Windows 7 Windows Live Mail application has eye-candy for an UI, Windows 8's Mail app has transitions, etc. as eye-candy.

It was definitely livable after 2 years, plus alpha/beta dev time.

I live there now, and have for the last two. It's more than livable. Feel free to join in.

I live there now, and have for the last two. It's more than livable. Feel free to join in.

That still doesn't change what Ambroos said, which is a fact:

(dammit can't copy/paste in IE 11, gotta type it) The fact that there aren't any more advanced Metro apps says a lot about the quality of the platform. The software that is there, even Microsoft's own, is extremely limited in functionality compared to what we had before.

Whether you love Modern UI or not, it makes no sense to deny that reality. One needs only to meet at the coliseum to review the Core Apps: Xbox Music/Video/Mail. All usable, all limited in functionality in some way or another. What's the point in denying it? More people saying, "not good enough" can only result in improvement.

• Like 1

Nop, because while the Windows 7 Windows Live Mail application has eye-candy for an UI, Windows 8's Mail app has transitions, etc. as eye-candy.

I like the Mail App's UI, especially snapped. No other mail app is as effective and efficient using only 1/4 of a screen. But TBH, Outlook 2013 is just as nice and finger friendly on a tablet. That screenshot looks like 2010.

It's true, but there were a lot of bugs in Win8, and 8.1 is marginally better. 

It's challenging to make genuinely powerful apps for Win8 as it stands, unless you're making a game.

Those are fighting words. I'll try your Metro app. (as long as it doesn't phone home, lol)

please report back to this thread with your findings  :laugh:

please report back to this thread with your findings  :laugh:

Based on the nature of the app, it's too much trouble for me to install either win32 or WinRT. But, given the nature of the apps, I would surmise the Modern UI is more suited to providing a more efficient and user friendly UI & UX. Particularly given the type of user likely to use it.

Of course, I believe there are many benefits to WinRT itself. Just not many devs are really taking advantage of it, and I think a lot of planning and design must go into any serious app that uses it to overcome it's shortcomings like limited in-place context menus, full or snap screen only (which if you take the time to design for it I believe is a plus). etc. Create too many menu options that require using top or bottom bar and you make your own app cumbersome to use IMO. I think Modern apps should keep in-place context menus but that just doesn't work well on tablets and phones.