• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 15 December 2013 - 19:43

Let's get rid of the "period" part, because I'm genuinely intrigued. Why is Teamviewer not a recommended suggestion?

Seconded. I can't really see why teamviewer is much different than straight up RDP here. At it's base it is just a modified version of either VNC or RDP (older versions were definitely VNC based). The only effective difference I can see is that it requires 3rd party authentication so perhaps that can be seen as an additional attack vector.

#32 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 15 December 2013 - 19:44

Oh god. If people don't know any better than suggesting you to use teamviewer (which is meant for client-to-client) then go ahead.

Other than that use either shell or rdp. I am not going to argue here, anyone dealing with servers from day to day will tell you TW is not the right thing to go with. Period.

Just as an fyi, quite a few of us deal with multi client support and are not tied to any single site or single domain. Rdp, remote services and vpns to each site either can not be done or are counter productive. The companies that I used to work for needed the techs to work on multiple sites/clients at a time, the tools you mention would be extremely cumbersome to use effectively and securely.

#33 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 15 December 2013 - 19:48

http://www.mobilepcmonitor.com does a buncha stuff also.

#34 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 December 2013 - 20:12

I don't use RDP for one simple reason: You have to open ports to the outside world if you're off site & there isn't a VPN in place. TeamViewer and LogMeIn you don't. If someone hacks my LMI or TV account, then yes, they get access to my client list, but that only gets them access to the computer list - they would also need passwords for the computers.

With RDP, you just need time and the port (which get scanned for constantly - if you have any type of security appliance in place, you'd see this) and you'd get in, eventually. There is of course going to be an 'Administrator' account in nearly every case, so you just need to brute force the password.

#35 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 15 December 2013 - 21:04

Although he'll need to be running Windows 8 on his laptop.

you're wrong on that.

RSAT has been available since Windows Vista SP1

#36 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 15 December 2013 - 21:50

you're wrong on that.

RSAT has been available since Windows Vista SP1

The OP is trying to manage a 2012 server so he would need RSAT for Windows 8 if he wants to manage all its features.

#37 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 December 2013 - 22:14

Teamviewer, LogmeIn.

#38 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Shine bright like Iron Man.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:47

So..my answer with TeamViewer still doesn't work after 3 pages?

#39 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:50

So..my answer with TeamViewer still doesn't work after 3 pages?

Teamviewer is fine as a solution. So far we haven't heard back on why some people think otherwise.

#40 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 16 December 2013 - 13:04

Teamviewer is fine as a solution. So far we haven't heard back on why some people think otherwise.

Food for thought guys. You can listen to your remote PC with TeamViewer like external speakers. You can also present to multiple people at once. You can connect the same desktop remotely 10 times in a row if you wanted to. Better yet, you can disable the screen on that remote PC so that only you can see the desktop/laptop/server on TeamViewer.

If you care about keeping TeamViewer, just use it as personal, not commercial. Since this is only about one desktop/server, obviously.

#41 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 16 December 2013 - 21:07

I am enjoying this thread.  I listed TV in the beginning because it makes things so easy, but thought I would get the "thats great for desktop support but not business blah blah blah - you peon noob.."

I have used some desktop/end user software in corporate enviro because it makes things easier for me, but I realize its not the ideal situation -  

(Like using Acronis True Image to back up a server before I do something to it) - when I know using the Symantec BackupExec or Veeam would be more appropriate - its just so much easier with the other stuff.

I usually think its because I dont know enough about the enterprise level stuff and Im just being an inexperienced noob - but it hasnt caused an issue thus far...

FWIW - I use RDP when connecting to servers in the domain, when Im @ my desk.  Anytime I need to access another machine, or am on my laptop or not @ my desk - teamviewer gets used.  I was the person to convince the IT Mgr to pay the $1500 commercial license.

#42 Mr.XXIV

Mr.XXIV

Posted 16 December 2013 - 21:10

I am enjoying this thread.  I listed TV in the beginning because it makes things so easy, but thought I would get the "thats great for desktop support but not business blah blah blah - you peon noob.."

I have used some desktop/end user software in corporate enviro because it makes things easier for me, but I realize its not the ideal situation -  

(Like using Acronis True Image to back up a server before I do something to it) - when I know using the Symantec BackupExec or Veeam would be more appropriate - its just so much easier with the other stuff.

I usually think its because I dont know enough about the enterprise level stuff and Im just being an inexperienced noob - but it hasnt caused an issue thus far...

I agree. To me, just because a software is labled "enterprise" or for "business", doesn't make it great, when the simplest themes can do better large scale.

#43 OP +ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 December 2013 - 19:50

Thanks guys. TV is cool, so far.

#44 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 26 December 2013 - 04:38

Hello,

While Teamviewer on desktop is a handy choice it's not for servers. The best way for a windows server is still RDP or try some shell access.

Why is it not for servers?

TeamViewer is not free for commercial usage.

Well, the OP never states its for commerical or noncommercial usage.

Talking about that, some time ago I installed Teamviewer on my laptop (Windows 8.1). Suddenly for some odd reason it changed to commercial mode. It gaves me a few days to try it and later it stopped working (incomming and outcomming connections). I called up Teamviewer, they asked me a couple of questions (and a couple of IDs a recently connect to) and they changed the license to free in 10 minutes or less. Great support for a company giving out a free software solution.

#45 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 29 December 2013 - 18:10

For RDP you would also have to setup a VPN to get through the firewall. Because you wouldn't want to open a port. So the good thing about teamviewer is that it handles all of that for you.

Although you could do a combination of a paid hamachi account and RDP.