• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GotBored

GotBored

Moved to NeoGAF

• 917 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:54

Its seems that both the PS4 and Xbox One has been so popular that they are sold out just about everywhere, but a lot of these sales are attributed to people buying several consoles to own one and sell the rest at a profit on online auction sites like eBay.

I saw today a few consoles which sold at retail price on eBay Australia. And I wouldn't be surprised if after Christmas comes and goes that these console will be selling at a loss.

(100's of eBay listed consoles already plus the abundance of unwanted gifts after Christmas)

So I urge anyone considering being ripped of by one these bang-wagoners looking to make a quick profit to wait a few days, you might save a few bucks. :)

#2 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,650 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:43

I think it is disgusting. They're like ticket touts.

I hope they some sell at a loss.

#3 OP GotBored

GotBored

Moved to NeoGAF

• 917 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:05

I think it is disgusting. They're like ticket touts.

I hope they some sell at a loss.

They just did! :) I bought a PS4 at retail price so after eBay fees they are down about $50 (Australian Prices).

I probably should've waited after Christmas and picked up one for bit less, but am happy with RRP price for a brand new PS4 (brand new - sealed).

If anyone else in Aus is waiting for the PS4, Sony is giving Australia a large shipment early January and it will cover all pre-orders and even have a few thousand in stock for people to walk into store and purchase.

Or you can try eBay (or other online retailers) and get one at RRP now or wait a few days and it might even be less than RRP.

#4 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• 11,170 posts
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:39

I really think the % of overall sales from people who have purchased multiple console to sell one or more at a profit would be in a pretty small damn minority.  Whilst I have no doubt its occurring for both, the 600+ PS4 give away via pizza hut would no doubt account for some of the % of those being sold as well. 

I would like to be outraged at this but the truth is its all supply and demand, the history and market signs were all there that these consoles - particularly the ps4 - was going to be in short supply, if you wanted one before xmas you had a lot of time to pre-order to ensure that occurred.  Just like a lot of things in life now the choice is between exercising patience or paying a premium for it.  fwiw big w is doing pre-orders for jan for $530 something.

#5 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,370 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 December 2013 - 20:30

On the flipside, consumers need to be more patient and look around a bit more. I work in an electronics store and we've literally had an Xbox One on the shelf for over a week and nobody bought it. We were selling it at the RRP and it was right there to take home. :p Bizarre.

#6 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 7,660 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 20:39

Well it's been over a month since these consoles went on sale, so supply shouldn't be limited anymore.

It's only realistic to make a profit on re-selling things during the first week or two of the product being on sale.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!