Sell Me America for My Honeymoon

So later this year I'll be proposing to my girlfriend although we have started planning already.

For our honeymoon, we're pretty set on American but it is a vast and wide country.  So here's some thoughts:

We're flying from the UK.

We would like to visit a few places, quite possibly starting with New York.

We have a total of 14 days, possibly slightly less.

Half of the holiday we don't mind seeing places, other half is relaxing in the sun, so want somewhere warm!

Don't need to see the Grand Canyon or go to Las Vegas.

How long would it take to fly from New York to Los Angeles? New York to Orlando? Any estimate cost for one way trip?

If going to Orland, is Disney World day trip worth it?

I guess the Hollywood near Miami is "the" Hollywood with the sign?

After looking at Florida it seems to meet a lot of what I'm looking for. How long would it take to get from Daytona Beach to Miami? Would it be a train? Sorry, it must sound dumb, but it's hard to compare with the UK.

Thanks

Haven't read all of the replies, so I'll give you all the information I can.

NY to LA, I would guess about 6 hours, not counting layovers.

I went to Disney World when I was in high school and loved it.  There was tons to do, although it does get a little expensive.  Drinks and food cost more inside the park than they do outside by quite a bit.  A day trip would be fun, but there's so much there you will not be able to see and do it all in only one day, so if you're planning on doing one day go ahead and plan on what you want to do ahead of time so you can make sure you get those things done.

Hollywood is a part of Los Angeles, CA, so the Hollywood that is near Miami, FL is not "the" Hollywood.

Depending on what month you come, chances are you'll have warm weather in most places in the summer.  The further north you get, the cooler it gets, but in June/July even Seattle, WA gets up to 70 degrees or more with sunshine, and I even saw it get up to 90 once or twice while I lived there, and it's almost in Canada, but obviously the further south you go the higher your chances of sunny weather, especially in the Spring/Fall months.

I live in Kentucky and if you're into natural beauty, you can visit Mammoth Cave here.  It's a huge underground cave with all sorts of nifty artifacts to check out, and there's Natural Bridge park on the east mountain parkway a few miles from where I live, but from the things you mentioned it seems like you want to spend more of your time in the cities, and if you're already planning on hitting up New York and Florida, then that's going to take up a day or two of just sitting on an airplane.  The few times I've been in Florida it has always been very sunny and warm, even in later months.  It did seem like it clouded up and rained for about 10 minutes every day though, and then the sun would pop right back out.

Edit: If you're interested in Kentucky at all, they, like other states, have a tourism website with information on it. http://www.kentuckytourism.com/

There's many options obviously. New York, LA, and Florida are probably the best known worldwide but there's plenty of other places. Chicago is good city to visit and worth a mention. Hell even Minneapolis where I'm from has a lot to offer and is more of a real American city but I realize you probably want to visit more of the better known and beachy American cities. New York is nice but I think it can be overwhelming too. If I were you and had 14 days over here, I'd split it up to 7 days on each coast. Fly to New York, spend a day or two there and then take a train or drive to other east coast places like Boston, Philly, Washington, etc. Then I'd fly to LA for the second half. I'm not sure why you don't want to see the Grand Canyon or go to Vegas but they're both within a moderate drive from LA. You could see the Hoover Dam too. Florida is nice but overrated in my opinion. Maybe you could fly from LA to Florida and spend a day or two there before flying home?

Thanks for the replies so far.

It's been an interesting read and I am certainly on the road of planning with a better head than last night.

Aside from the fact that spending 1 or 2 days in NYC, LA, Miami, etc is terrible planning, you'll be spending MUCH more time and money sitting down!  Why?  Because the USA is MASSIVE.

Train from NYC to Miami: 31 Hours.

Plane: between 5-7 hours

Car: between 18-19 hours

This is exactly it.

I don't want to be spending a day sitting down on a plane or train really.  While we'd love to visit New York, we have to decide which side of the states we want to be on which will give us a few things to do but also some relaxing time.  This is why I thought of Orlando as there is a hotel there I can stay in for free, Disneyland, Sea World, Space Centre....  Not sure if it will be too hot though.  I guess it was just a "which coast has the most support" sort of post.  While it would be great to see everything, of course, it simply isn't going to happen.

I think on this trip, we're just happy not to see the Grand Canyon or Vegas as we both have no interest in gambling at all.

I'll take a look at the California website and see what else there is to do there :)

I wouldn't waste my time with LA. If you are interested in CA I would suggest spending time in nothern CA. Unless you love big dirty cities, in which case LA would be perfect (not that we don't have our fair share up here (Oakland)).

I also highly recommend picking one single area and staying there the whole time.  You'll waste too much time trying to jump to different areas of the country.

If you go to NYC, you can rent a car and visit a ton of other big cities such as Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC.

Honestly, it depends on what you want to do most.  The big cities are rush rush rush, and while you'll be able to see a lot of awesome stuff, you'll be in for a lot of walking, driving, and staying awake.  My girlfriend and I did a 10 day vacation to 7 states in New England (starting in NYC), and we were up at 4am and out until midnight every day.  It was exhausting and we put 1500 miles on our rental car, but it was one hell of an experience.  If you want any suggestions for stuff to do in that area, I still have our 20 page itinerary I can pull ideas from.

If you go to Florida, expect it to be really expensive and really hot (if you go during the summer).  I was at NASA's Kennedy Space Center about 4 years ago during the peak of Summer, and it was ungodly hot.  Even at night I would sweat my ass off being outside.  It is very beautiful there and there's plenty to do, but it would be more of sitting on the beach and relaxing more than sightseeing.

Personally, I love the big city and love seafood, so the North East is, in my opinion, one of the funnest places in the US.

Well - I guess if you need convincing you should go to America, maybe it's not necessarily the place to aim for. Is it somewhere you've always wanted to visit, or are you sort of indifferent about it? 

I'd always wanted to go to the states - but the cost, etc etc was always a barrier. Last year I finally got to fly out, for work, but got a few days of 'me time' to do sightseeing. We were in San Francisco so there was a lot to do / see and it totally lived up to my expectations. I loved everything I did there, and I don't honestly think there was a single thing that I disliked about the trip there though I must admit the sheer amount of homelessness was quite eye opening and saddening in San Francisco. 

Got to go again this year, and again it was brilliant. Last year we saw Alcatraz, went to a Giants game, and hired a muscle car from Hertz and drove down to Santa Cruz (as a Lost Boys fan, it was awesome!). This year we got to a 49ers game, drove across the Golden Gate bridge, also and drove down to Monterey. Ate at some great restaurants, met some really friendly nice people, stayed at good hotels - I absolutely loved it. The weather was stunning both times we went as well. I don't think I'll get to go back with work again, but it's only fuelled my desire to get saving for a trip out there for myself now. 

Well, I think I have sorted the most part of it.

We'll probably spend a couple days in New York, go see the Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Empire State Building...  then fly out to Orlando to relax for half of it, the other half heading to Busch Gardens, a beach somewhere, there's Sea World, Disney World, Space Centre, so much more to do, but we can chose what to do rather than try and do it all.

Just got to try and save lots of monies to go out there in style!