Girlfriend Friendly PC Games

girlfriend friendly games pc puzzler platformer rpg jrpg

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:26

I've set up a Steam account recently for the girlfriend with Septerra Core & Toki Tori, she's got little history of video games, but is really interested in various indie titles she see's me picking up.

Brief overview of her tastes:

The Sims Series

Pokemon (Gameboy)

Rayman (non-3D)

To The Moon

Brothers:  A Tale of Two Sons

Kingdom Hearts

Unsure what GPU her laptop packs, but I do know she's got an an i3 w/ 8GB of RAM running Windows 8.1

I think I can keep her covered on the platformers (I am still open to suggestions), but I am at a complete loss when it comes to RPGs / JRPGs on the PC, especially turn-based ones - basically, anything that doesn't require much in the way of reactions / timing would be good for her.

Does anyone have any suggestions worth checking out?

#2 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:29

Well, Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are available through Steam, they're the de facto JRPG's to go for.

I can't really think of any more other than The Last Remnant... which is a bit flakey.

#3 ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:34

We played Age of Empires against each other thats fun! Anything like that. Red Alert. All the classics ;-)

#4 Snake89

Snake89

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:45

Also check out GOG.com , they got a really good list of games.

#5 NoClipMode

NoClipMode

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:46

Trine and Trine 2.

#6 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:51

Solitaire

#7 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:56

Guacamelee is a great platformer, it also features co-op, if you hadn't seen that one yet.

There aren't a ton of turned based RPGs out there, and most of the good JRPGs I can think of aren't on PC, but as noted above, FF7 and 8 are in the Steam store now. There's also X-Com, which is turned based, but Sci-Fi. You could also try the Civilization series if turned based is her thing.

#8 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:05

Get her a controller for Big Picture Mode.

Limbo

Bastion

Fez

Spelunky (very fun co-op)

Heavily modded Skyrim

And I second the Guacamelee nomination

Blizzard's Hearthstone has recently reached the Open Beta phase if you think she'd have any interest in a RPG card game.

I'd also download emulators and use a controller with Motion in Joy to play titles like 1080p Ocarina of Time.

When she starts getting good, introduce her to Dark Souls (Controller required.)

I also forced my g/f to learn how to dominate Minesweeper, because I truly believe it will make you smarter.

She has been a huge Final Fantasy and Zelda fan overall and has recently been playing Path of Exile.

#9 +GreenMartian

GreenMartian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:22

You could also try the Civilization series if turned based is her thing.

If your GF is into Civ, then I suggest you marry her ASAP :laugh:

Btw, 2014 is a great year for turn-based RPGs. http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=741172

I wish I didn't have a job and could play most of them...

Edit: That list doesn't even include PC ports/remakes of older games.

#10 OP Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:25

Also check out GOG.com , they got a really good list of games.

I love GOG, but I want to stick with Steam / Origin to keep things simple.

We played Age of Empires against each other thats fun! Anything like that. Red Alert. All the classics ;-)

I'm not so sure how she'd take to RTS games, but I think I picked up AOE II HD in the sales, so I might pop it on sometime when she's around.

Well, Final Fantasy 7 and 8 are available through Steam, they're the de facto JRPG's to go for.

I can't really think of any more other than The Last Remnant... which is a bit flakey.

Yeah, I want to get her into FFVII, but it seems to require a lot of fiddling.  The models have not aged very well and the midi soundtrack puts me off, never mind her.  I have got it on my PC and I've picked up the 20gb TIFA Bootleg Mod Collection, but I don't fancy fiddling with / downloading (she lives in the sticks, so Hick Internet is all she gets) that to her laptop.

I'll probably set it up on my rig at some point to see how she fairs with it, I don't really want to go through it all on her laptop to find she doesn't enjoy it.

Trine and Trine 2.

I've got both of these on my rig and they're certainly on the list.

Get her a controller for Big Picture Mode.

Limbo

Bastion

Fez

Spelunky

Heavily modded Skyrim

And I second the Guacamelee nomination

Limbo is a good shout, its another I've got on the list of things to play with her. I've got Skyrim & Bastion and I think she would struggle a lot with those, however I will take a look at Fez / Spelunky, thanks.

I picked up Guacamelee! Gold Edition in the sales and I'm yet to play it, hearing good things about it though.

Guacamelee is a great platformer, it also features co-op, if you hadn't seen that one yet.

There aren't a ton of turned based RPGs out there, and most of the good JRPGs I can think of aren't on PC, but as noted above, FF7 and 8 are in the Steam store now. There's also X-Com, which is turned based, but Sci-Fi. You could also try the Civilization series if turned based is her thing.

I've got XCOM, but I'm not 100% sure if she'd get into that... but then again, she's a bit of a Star Trek nerd, so it's a possibility.

Civilization is a very good shout, I'd forgotten about that one.  I've got Civ 5 on Steam, but it's not really my thing, however if it'll run on her laptop, I'll definitely give it a go.

Solitaire

Maybe, but I don't think she has the Patience for that ;)

If your GF is into Civ, then I suggest you marry her ASAP :laugh:

Btw, 2014 is a great year for turn-based RPGs. http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=741172

I wish I didn't have a job and could play most of them...

Haha, if either of us cared for marriage, I think it's a dead-cert that it would happen!

Thanks for that link, I'll trawl through it tonight.

#11 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:30

Off the top of my head, Mark of the Ninja and The Bridge. :)

#12 lomas

lomas

Neowinian

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:37

Scribblenauts - fun game to play

#13 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Idiot Hater

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:44

I've set up a Steam account recently for the girlfriend with Septerra Core & Toki Tori, she's got little history of video games, but is really interested in various indie titles she see's me picking up.

Brief overview of her tastes:

The Sims Series

Pokemon (Gameboy)

Rayman (non-3D)

To The Moon

Brothers:  A Tale of Two Sons

Kingdom Hearts

Unsure what GPU her laptop packs, but I do know she's got an an i3 w/ 8GB of RAM running Windows 8.1

I think I can keep her covered on the platformers (I am still open to suggestions), but I am at a complete loss when it comes to RPGs / JRPGs on the PC, especially turn-based ones - basically, anything that doesn't require much in the way of reactions / timing would be good for her.

Does anyone have any suggestions worth checking out?

Go play Dota 2 with her. You wont need to find another game (for her or yourself) for years.

#14 +GreenMartian

GreenMartian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 January 2014 - 13:57

Go play Dota 2 with her. You wont need to find another game (for her or yourself) for years.

Seriously?

"basically, anything that doesn't require much in the way of reactions / timing would be good for her."

He mentioned The Sims, Kingdom Hearts, and JRPGs; and you suggest Dota? :|

#15 +fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 06 January 2014 - 14:10

My wife plays pretty much the same games I do.. CoD.. CSGO.. How about you her a variety of games and let her choose for herself.. Girls can be just as much as hardcore gamers as guys.. if not more.. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!