It sounds like then he did not claim that using server would directly improve graphics. For some reason, some people ran with this idea that there were serious claims that games could somehow use the server for graphics processing, both those touting it as a great feature and others that used it to bash MS, thinking they had made the claim.

?It?s also about cloud processing and AI. This is where some of the computational effort of a game can be offloaded to the dedicated CPUs on the cloud, to make your game experience even better, better graphics, better lighting, better physics.

Yep, he said it all right. He was referring to the possibility of offloading tasks, not actually handling graphics or other latency sensitive tasks via servers.

We will see what developers make of it down the road.

http://www.destructoid.com/playstation-now-really-works--268582.phtml

Review from Destructoid mentioning playing The Last of Us on a Vita, and Puppeteer on a Bravia.

That said, the Gaikai server was down the hall, not 1,000 miles away.

Yeah, its clear the service works fine as long as the connection is fine, so that's good.

Will it hold up in the real world? I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Remove backwards compatibility

Wait a while

Have people offer to pay you subs to re-instate it

Profit.

They can't remove a feature from the PS4 that was never going to be a feature of the PS4 at all. Your reasoning is nonsense.

They can't remove a feature from the PS4 that was never going to be a feature of the PS4 at all. Your reasoning is nonsense.

It was never going to be a feature of the PS4, because they were planning to offer it as a service instead, which is his entire point.

It was never going to be a feature of the PS4, because they were planning to offer it as a service instead, which is his entire point.

So my point still stands too. They did not REMOVE anything  (see the comment I quoted)

They removed it in the sense that the PS2 and PS3 did backwards compatibility, the PS4 is the first PlayStation (Other than the obvious PS1) to not feature it.

They removed it in the sense that the PS2 and PS3 did backwards compatibility, the PS4 is the first PlayStation (Other than the obvious PS1) to not feature it.

Indeed. It's more like a hardware limitation than anything else I think. I'm interested in how Microsoft is going to tackle this (if they do), given they already showed it off during a private employee demonstration.

PS3 didn't do backward compatibility after the initial FAT models but they did remake PS2 classics for the PS3 and called them the 'Collectors' edition.

IF, and that's a huge IF, streaming works, why buy a console at all?

They should just work on cranking out emulators for old games. 

Input lag

Graphics fidelity of native experience

Bandwidth limitations

RRP of a single game vs an all you can eat service (what would a pub prefer)

Not everyone has stable internet 24/7

Some people simply prefer owning something they buy (physical goods)

If I watch a youtube video in HD, no one else in my house can do anything other than basic browsing. I have a 3.5mb connection, a lot of the world has less. A streaming service is less than ideal, in fact, it sucks to put it honestly. It works okay for videos and that is because the average length of TV/movie is 30 mins to 2 hours and even at 2 hours at least Netflix can auto change quality if it's struggling. On average when I have time I play games for longer. The only reason I have excitement is

a) It's still a good technical addition to the industry which can be improved on in years to come

b) BC is always up in the air as to whether it will ever be native

As for people saying BC was removed, were you going to foot well over $399 for a larger in size PS4 with actual PS3 innards included? Or were you going to develop a software CELL emulator to sell to Sony and become a millionaire, you know, because that's easy and inexpensive.

One of the best things to the PS4 moving to x86 and more PC like development is BC on the PS5 in practice should be a cinch. It was never ever coming to the PS4 on the hardware front due to CELL.  

• Like 2

If Sony is/was able to get that many servers spread through out the world then, that's even more of a WOW...

Or this could explain the supposed partnership they have with Open Rack (Cloud Service).  Gaikai before the Sony purchase, didn't have anywhere near a robust server layout.  

If I were Sony, I would do a big announcement that this is going into Open Beta (STRESS THAT IT IS A BETA OF COURSE) , But the condition is, beta users HAVE to try and overload the servers.

Don't be like RockStar (GTA) or 2K (NBA2K) and let your pride get in the way, and the experience get hampered by this.

A question for the more technically advanced crowd.  Would this be overkill for Sony (using USA as an example): 3 Data Centers in the West Coast, 3 Data Centers in the Mid West, and 3 Data Centers in the East Coast.

This should give users an decent rout to the closest server available, and a decent ping.  This would also be very expensive for Sony as well

I think expecting a completely lag free experience is not realistic whatsoever. So if people are looking at this and thinking they will be doing competitive MP gaming on it, well they are no doubt going to be disappointed.

Now if you go into it with realistic expectations, and that is hoping for a mostly positive experience with some occasional hiccups here and there, then I think this service could no doubt be successful.

Naturally only time will tell.

Fortunately for myself my home internet connection is ready and willing for this, 75/35, so hoping to see what it is about sometime soon.

I originally said earlier in the thread I would be all over it if the price is right. Honestly I am not sure how much I would be into it, as my time is limited to game these days, so when I do game I prefer to play something new, not something I have already played. So I would check this out initially to see how it performs, but doubtful I would keep a month to month subscription. Perhaps my view will change once I am playing PS1, PS2, and PS3 games on my Vita. However right now Remote Play is working damn good on my Vita and PS4, so that is occupying me while at home.

Just a lot of unknowns here to make a true judgement call. The whole idea is an awesome one for sure though. We will see how deployment and performance goes though.

I simply can't see myself paying for a cloud-streaming gaming service on any platform for a variety of reasons. The most obvious is that I have very little free time with work, so I'm not sure how much of a value I'd be getting out of a subscription.

In terms of the service itself, however, I don't think I'd really think I'll want to play last-generation games on a new console by the time this service and other services like it launch. I'd much rather spend my limited time with new games, and in that case I'd want the full experience -- no lag issues, no artifacts, etc. On the off chance I do want to play an older game, it'd probably be more likely that the game(s) I want to play are cheaper on Steam instead of buying a monthly subscription.

That's just me, though. There are people who PlayStation Now will probably kick ass for -- Vita owners, for instance. I can't imagine many of them turning their nose up at playing a PlayStation 3 game on a handheld over WiFi.

If Sony is/was able to get that many servers spread through out the world then, that's even more of a WOW...

Or this could explain the supposed partnership they have with Open Rack (Cloud Service).  Gaikai before the Sony purchase, didn't have anywhere near a robust server layout.  

If I were Sony, I would do a big announcement that this is going into Open Beta (STRESS THAT IT IS A BETA OF COURSE) , But the condition is, beta users HAVE to try and overload the servers.

Don't be like RockStar (GTA) or 2K (NBA2K) and let your pride get in the way, and the experience get hampered by this.

A question for the more technically advanced crowd.  Would this be overkill for Sony (using USA as an example): 3 Data Centers in the West Coast, 3 Data Centers in the Mid West, and 3 Data Centers in the East Coast.

This should give users an decent rout to the closest server available, and a decent ping.  This would also be very expensive for Sony as well

According to this: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/gaikai-powered-cloud-gaming-coming-to-samsung-smart-tvs/

Samsung bought dedicated bandwidth from 24 Gaikai Data centers (Doesn't say how many Gaikai have in total) in the US back in 2012, so having nine data centers isn't overkill. 

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/11/gaikai-will-be-fee-free-utilize-300-data-centers-in-the-us/

According to this Gaikai has 300 data centers in the US and over 900 peering ISP servers, I'm guessing it would have a lot more now considering this was before Sony bought them and now can include the Open Rack cloud servers, Sony servers and more ISP Peering servers cause of the Sony backing.

- This service was originally designed to stream gaming to PC's (So you could trial a game in a browser window before you bought it from a store like steam, etc) and stream gaming to TV's. It had a few big contracts and the Samsung contract was started a month before Sony acquired them so they were fairly well setup even before Sony bought them.

The OnLive streaming service had 5 data centers to give you an idea of the differences between the two.

According to this: http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/05/gaikai-powered-cloud-gaming-coming-to-samsung-smart-tvs/

Samsung bought dedicated bandwidth from 24 Gaikai Data centers (Doesn't say how many Gaikai have in total) in the US back in 2012, so having nine data centers isn't overkill. 

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/11/gaikai-will-be-fee-free-utilize-300-data-centers-in-the-us/

According to this Gaikai has 300 data centers in the US and over 900 peering ISP servers, I'm guessing it would have a lot more now considering this was before Sony bought them and now can include the Open Rack cloud servers, Sony servers and more ISP Peering servers cause of the Sony backing.

- This service was originally designed to stream gaming to PC's (So you could trial a game in a browser window before you bought it from a store like steam, etc) and stream gaming to TV's. It had a few big contracts and the Samsung contract was started a month before Sony acquired them so they were fairly well setup even before Sony bought them.

The OnLive streaming service had 5 data centers to give you an idea of the differences between the two.

300 data centers in US sounds impossible even Amazon/Google/Microsoft doesn't have that many. They are likely just leasing capacity.

Thanks for the info.  And I sure, Sony has since flushed this out even more...  Sony has always been a mastermind when it comes to hardware.  It appears to are catching on very quickly when it comes to being a Services provider as well (must come from the PC games experience)

GotBored, on 08 Jan 2014 - 08:32, said:snapback.png

According to this: http://www.engadget....sung-smart-tvs/

http://www.joystiq.c...ters-in-the-us/

300 data centers in US sounds impossible even Amazon/Google/Microsoft doesn't have that many. They are likely just leasing capacity.

Could GotBored have meant that Gaikai is present in 300 Data Centers. But not necessarily owning all 300 Data Centers?  Possibly renting rack space in at least half of them.

I think expecting a completely lag free experience is not realistic whatsoever. So if people are looking at this and thinking they will be doing competitive MP gaming on it, well they are no doubt going to be disappointed.

Sony annouced that   PS Now will prvide everything you get native for  PS3 games  that means trophie support and online Multi player  experience  and you still will be able to play a  MP game with  players  who are playing the same game but native

Sony promises players will have unfettered access to the features they would otherwise find on a PS3, including Trophy support, cloud saves, and even online multiplayer. Most impressively, Sony says that PlayStation Now players will be able to participate in online matches regardless of whether they're playing natively on a console or streaming over the internet.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/08/ces-playstation-now-hands-on-impressions

Sony annouced that   PS Now will prvide everything you get native for  PS3 games  that means trophie support and online Multi player  experience  and you still will be able to play a  MP game with  players  who are playing the same game but native

Sony promises players will have unfettered access to the features they would otherwise find on a PS3, including Trophy support, cloud saves, and even online multiplayer. Most impressively, Sony says that PlayStation Now players will be able to participate in online matches regardless of whether they're playing natively on a console or streaming over the internet.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/08/ces-playstation-now-hands-on-impressions

I think what DL meant was not that it would be impossible, but if you choose to do it, you're going to get owned.

I think what DL meant was not that it would be impossible, but if you choose to do it, you're going to get owned.

well depends opn how well the service works tho because if ti works as well as sony have siad even tho they had servers  near by to demo all this  if it does worek as well as we hope then it be  just like  playing native

When it comes to MP, especially FPS titles, you will get owned, end of.

But to be fair anyone who actually cares about their scores wouldn't play through this anyway.

I think for this to work sony will have to have servers in most countries otherwise I think the latency will get to much. People may love the idea of playing the previous games but if its lagging a lot it becomes unplayable. Maybe sony has improved gaikais infrastructure but to handle the traffic they'll have to release it slowly so I can imagine a US release first then releasing slowly to Europe and japan, unfortunately I think Australia may be the last cus there quite away across the pond so they'll definitely have to have servers in australia