Photo

BOOTMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart (Windows 7)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ady199

ady199

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:01

A mate of mine has just given me his Windows 7 laptop to look at - when he starts it up, it displays the following error message:-

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I've tried the following to try and repair it:-

Booted the laptop from Windows 7 DVD and went into Setup and clicked on 'Repair your computer'

System Recovery Options couldn't find an operating system so I click on 'Use recovery tools that can help fix problems....................'

I then clicked on Startup Repair - this ran but said 'Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically' When I clicked on 'View problem details' it showed the following (including other text)

Problem Signature 07: MissingBootManager

OS Version 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

I then tried 'Command Prompt' and then tried the following commands:-  (Rebooted after each option)

bootrec.exe  /fixmbr

bootrec.exe  /fixboot

bootrec.exe  /RebuildBcd

None of these commands worked and I'm now pulling out my hair....I can't re-install windows because my idiot mate has saved all of his data on drive c!

HELP!!!!

#2 rmorris003

rmorris003

Neowinian

• Phone: HTC One M7

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:09

If you want to reinstall just download linux and boot into a live cd then backup the data.

#3 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:10

Did you also try bootsect /nt60 c: ?

#4 OP ady199

ady199

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:16

If you want to reinstall just download linux and boot into a live cd then backup the data.

I will try this and will report back

#5 OP ady199

ady199

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:16

Did you also try bootsect /nt60 c: ?

Yep and no joy :-(

#6 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:17

Did you try this:

1. bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup, press ENTER
2. ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old, press ENTER
3. bootrec /rebuildbcd, press ENTER

--

http://social.techne...=w7itproinstall

If you try what Javik and I posted and no dice then I doubt there is much else you can do other than the Linux backup and re-install solution. This could be signs that there is something else at play besides just a corrupt boot loader (e.g. bad disk). 

#7 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 07 January 2014 - 18:17

You can use the official help from the Microsoft: https://support.micr...b/2622803/en-us

Or you can use the MBRfix on Hiren Tools to fix the Boot manager.

#8 OP ady199

ady199

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2014 - 19:14

Thanks guys - I booted up a live version of Ubuntu to see if I could recover the data but the Windows Partition doesn't show, So I can only presume that this partition has become corrupted

#9 Riggers

Riggers

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 07 January 2014 - 19:31

Tried removing the BCD store before rebuild?

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Reboot.

Allthough sounds like you say, could be beyond help...

Good luck

#10 OP ady199

ady199

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2014 - 19:43

Tried removing the BCD store before rebuild?

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Reboot.

Allthough sounds like you say, could be beyond help...

Good luck

Thanks but when I go into the recovery options and command prompt and look on the c:\ partition all that's there is a directory called Temp

#11 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 07 January 2014 - 19:45

Can you remove the drive, and connect it to a Windows desktop machine? You're looking at a complete re-install of the OS, but you should be able to backup the data that way as a last resort.

#12 Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1 Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

Posted 07 January 2014 - 19:52

Thanks but when I go into the recovery options and command prompt and look on the c:\ partition all that's there is a directory called Temp

You just probably need to mount the partition. The easy method is to click on Files in the Unity dash, then look for your partition to be listed on the left side when Nautilus loads up. Just click the partition and it's mounted and you should be good to go! Alternately if it's not listed, there's a process you can use to find and mount the partition manually. All you need to do is open a terminal in Ubuntu and type in the following in...

sudo fdisk -l

It should list all partitions. If you see your partition listed then use the following command to mount it...

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdaX /~/Windows

Change the /dev/sdaX field to exactly match your partition listed under boot device from the command above. If successful, your Windows partition *should* be mounted under the Home directory.

#13 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 07 January 2014 - 19:53

If it was me I would start by scanning the hard drive with Spinrite for bad sectors before I even start troubleshooting it.

I actually have a laptop hard drive scanning with spinrite at this moment. It would just instantly reboot when it tried to boot windows. So far it's coming up clean.

#14 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 07 January 2014 - 20:08

If it was me I would start by scanning the hard drive with Spinrite for bad sectors before I even start troubleshooting it.

I actually have a laptop hard drive scanning with spinrite at this moment. It would just instantly reboot when it tried to boot windows. So far it's coming up clean.

He probably doesn't have spinrite and you can lose data by causing sector reallocation if you use the wrong tools.

#15 OP ady199

ady199

Neowinian

Posted 07 January 2014 - 20:17

You just probably need to mount the partition. The easy method is to click on Files in the Unity dash, then look for your partition to be listed on the left side when Nautilus loads up. Just click the partition and it's mounted and you should be good to go! Alternately if it's not listed, there's a process you can use to find and mount the partition manually. All you need to do is open a terminal in Ubuntu and type in the following in...

sudo fdisk -l

It should list all partitions. If you see your partition listed then use the following command to mount it...

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdaX /~/Windows

Change the /dev/sdaX field to exactly match your partition listed under boot device from the command above. If successful, your Windows partition *should* be mounted under the Home directory.

Thanks for the info but how do I open a terminal in Ubuntu?