NPD - Xbox One #1 in US in December

xbox one npd

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2014 - 00:21

December NPD Group figures released today revealed Xbox One was the number one selling console in the market in the U.S., selling 908,000 units in December. Additionally, Xbox 360 continued to see strong momentum with 643,000 units sold in December, putting it in the number three spot overall, and lead for last generation hardware. Together, Xbox One and Xbox 360 held 46 percent of the hardware market share in the U.S. and showed a 10 percent year over year growth from December 2012.

“We’re grateful for the excitement and support of our fans – many purchasing their next Xbox console and many joining the Xbox family for the first time,” said Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president of marketing, strategy and business for Xbox. “Our journey is just starting, with more innovation, games and entertainment coming in 2014 and far beyond.”

December 2013 NPD highlights include:

•Total combined retail spend on the Xbox platform (Xbox One and Xbox 360) in December reached $1.39 billion, 50 percent of the combined software, hardware and accessories spend in the U.S. (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).
•During the month of December, Xbox One held six of the top 10 spots on the new generation console game title list: “Battlefield 4,” “Forza Motorsport 5,” “Dead Rising 3,” “Ryse: Son of Rome,” “Madden NFL 25” and “Call of Duty: Ghosts” (Source: NPD Group, December 2013).

Fans continue to show their excitement for new generation Xbox One games, with U.S. consumers purchasing an average of 2.9 games* per console since launch.

As Mehdi mentioned last week in a thank you letter to fans, 2013 was an incredible year for gamers, entertainment fans, our industry and Xbox. You can read his full letter here.

For more information on Xbox One and Xbox 360, please visit Xbox Wire for the latest news.

*retail and digital (internal Microsoft data)

http://news.xbox.com...ne-december-npd

#2 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 17 January 2014 - 00:24

Xbox One has a great lineup of games already. I'm not surprised people are buying them.

It should only get better from here.

#3 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 January 2014 - 00:26

surprise surprise. just as I predicted.

#4 Brendeth

Brendeth

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 January 2014 - 00:39

Xbox owns the US market, I don't see that changing anytime soon and I would never want it to either. Congrats to MS for a nice rollout of the Xbox One and the continued success of the 360!

#5 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:51

Good numbers for them.

I would say there is a chance they keep up a good pace of sales thanks to the games coming out over the course of this year.

The question is when/if the higher price starts to make an impact and if we see console sales drop off significantly after the initial sales boom we are seeing.

The X1 still has many regions to launch in, so who knows what will happen there.

#6 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:01

America #$*()%#% Yeah! :D (Even through they are made in China!)

#7 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:12

Good numbers for them.

I would say there is a chance they keep up a good pace of sales thanks to the games coming out over the course of this year.

The question is when/if the higher price starts to make an impact and if we see console sales drop off significantly after the initial sales boom we are seeing.

The X1 still has many regions to launch in, so who knows what will happen there.

I admit, if I didn't have to pay $500 for a One I wouldn't have (the price you pay for early entry :D).  With that being said,  I think Microsoft starting out in the 'Black' for this, gives them a LOT of wiggle room down the road.  If they are making $0 - $12 per unit sold, and this can hold up for the first 12-16 months, I believe Microsoft could drop $50 off the One and it not really hurt them.  Part and manufacturing should take a decent drop in price considering these aren't "custom chips" and all.

And anyone buying a One, I'm gonna guess here, is definitely buying Xbox Live as well.. So that can still offset being to far in the red as well

A Xbox One, at least one game, and a Live pass, is just about all profit (I think)

#8 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:15

America #$*()%#% Yeah! :D (Even through they are made in China!)

The One was made in China?.... :|

My 360, I think it says made in Mexico... :huh:

#9 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:16

The One was made in China?.... :|

My 360, I think it says made in Mexico... :huh:

I'm just guessing.

#10 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:21

I'm just guessing.

If it is, thank goodness I grabbed that 3yr Square Trade warranty on my One... :laugh:

#11 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:11

They're going strong in the 13 markets they've released in but they'll have to expand to more markets soon to keep up on a global scale.  I expect a small drop overall for everyone on January but with the XB1 still in the top spot in the US.  They should expand to more markets in February though, at least the original 8 they cut back on for the launch IMO. And if they really want to make a splash with titanfall in March then a small price cut would be big, $50 for example, doesn't sound like much but it'd be something to boost sales again if they start to drop much.

#12 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 January 2014 - 17:36

They're going strong in the 13 markets they've released in but they'll have to expand to more markets soon to keep up on a global scale.  I expect a small drop overall for everyone on January but with the XB1 still in the top spot in the US.  They should expand to more markets in February though, at least the original 8 they cut back on for the launch IMO. And if they really want to make a splash with titanfall in March then a small price cut would be big, $50 for example, doesn't sound like much but it'd be something to boost sales again if they start to drop much.

If they don't want an official price drop, they could bundle Titanfall with the console for 'free', making the console $50 cheaper in the process.

I am very interested to see when MS launches in other territories. I agree that I think they need to roll out as soon as possible. They need to give an update on this at least.

#13 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:56

If they don't want an official price drop, they could bundle Titanfall with the console for 'free', making the console $50 cheaper in the process.

I am very interested to see when MS launches in other territories. I agree that I think they need to roll out as soon as possible. They need to give an update on this at least.

I expect a titanfall bundle for sure at least but I think that by march they could drop the price by $50 to make it an even better deal and give them another sales spike.  I'm also surprised they haven't released in more markets this month.  I'd be shocked if they don't expand in Feb for sure and they'll have to, even with strong sales the difference in markets on the global level will mean Sony will keep it's overall lead. 

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 17 January 2014 - 20:00

Does anyone know how it works if I buy a european Xbox One from Norway. I know the games are multiplatform and such. But according to some comments I've seen, they claim I won't be able to buy games online or addons online with a Norwegian credit card and/or account with a European box. 

some say you can just pretend the card isn't Norwegian by setting the card location as a random adress somewhere else, but does that mean I'll have to use use a new XBL account with a new location to... If so I'll jut skip "importing" and wait for official launch, whenever that is. 

#15 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 January 2014 - 20:08

Does anyone know how it works if I buy a european Xbox One from Norway. I know the games are multiplatform and such. But according to some comments I've seen, they claim I won't be able to buy games online or addons online with a Norwegian credit card and/or account with a European box. 

some say you can just pretend the card isn't Norwegian by setting the card location as a random adress somewhere else, but does that mean I'll have to use use a new XBL account with a new location to... If so I'll jut skip "importing" and wait for official launch, whenever that is. 

If the account location doesn't match the credit cards location then you can't buy stuff with that card, that's how it's been with the 360. It shouldn't have anything to do with where the xb1 was bought but the account you use itself. 

What they could mean is that you can't buy anything with a account/credit card that's located in a country that hasn't officially launched the Xbox One yet.