• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 OP Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 22 January 2014 - 21:40

Active directory is ldap, for lack of a better was to explain it. You can't separate ldap from active directory.

Active directory is a tree hierarchy. The forest is the top level, then you can have sub domains under that to level to separate it further. This works with permissions and what not to easily give access to people without giving them the entire domain access. This also helps with putting people in certain areas. This isn't common practice though. Just about everything that you can do with child domains you can do with a single domain with less complexity....even assigning permissions to certain users to have access to certain ous. If planned out right it isn't a big deal at all.

Start small and work big.

Ok thanks man. You've been very helpful

#17 VR38DETT

VR38DETT

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:00

Microsoft iSCSI target does not support synchronous mirroring between hosts so cannot create a fault tolerant storage back end (unless clustered with generic Windows clustering services and THAT requires external shared storage making whole setup slow, expensive and complicated).

If you've manage to lose data with StarWind this means you a) did not use it in a production HA config (2+ hosts) and b) enabled write back cache which is a definite no-no on a single node setup. 

fk starwind iscsi, used it and randomly screwed up the iscsi disk image after a server restart. ....microsoft iscsi works just as well if not better,  this is not the initiator. 

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=19867

#18 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 31

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:15

The free version of solar winds software doesn't support that either (if memory serves me, I would have to go over their free offering again) the paid version wasn't exactly inexpensive either from what I remember. The free version was pretty limited from my recollection. And yes it was a single node setup, not multiple hosts...I don't believe the op has multiple hosts either as this is a test environment to learn ad with.

#19 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:20

Hello,

Just so you know, Im stuck in the same boat as you...

Im getting a microserver (hopefully this week) but before ordering, Im installing WS2012R2 in VMware...

It has been.....intresting to say the least. The wizard is pretty straight forward but at one point it asks me for a database. I thought WS2012R2 had a min SQL server but it doesnt. So now Im installing SQL Server 2012. Had some hickups but Google solved them quickly :)

Now after SQL is installed, Im making a DB for WSUS, which seems to ask me for a DB (it depends on the options you choose in the wizard for the server manager).

Its a intersting process which Im sure Ill hit more hickups (for example, it tells me that when adding roles/features it cant find some source files. This is something Im problably installing that I dont need or want)

Unlike you, I have never setup a server config in unix or win so Im more of a noob than you. If I can do it, you can too ;)

#20 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:36

fk starwind iscsi, used it and randomly screwed up the iscsi disk image after a server restart. ....microsoft iscsi works just as well if not better,  this is not the initiator. 

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=19867

Shouldn't need to download if using 2012.

#21 riahc3

riahc3

Posted 27 January 2014 - 16:01

Hello,

The most difficult thing for me is coming up with names :laugh: Honestly, its asking me for so many names for different things (my domain, my server, my SQL server, etc) that I dont know what to name them as anymore!

#22 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2014 - 16:03

How about keep it simple.
Dc01
Sql01
Exch01

#23 riahc3

riahc3

Posted 27 January 2014 - 16:07

Hello,

How about keep it simple.
Dc01
Sql01
Exch01

Yeah, Ive gone with
DC(myname) (Server name)
DCMSSQLSERVER (thats a good one :laugh:)
local.home2.com (Thats my AD forest I believe If I read it correctly)

When deploying Im thinking
DC (server name)
SQLSRV (MS SQL Server; I might not even need this)
local.home (AD forest)

Noone here understands/reads english (much less on a technical level) so...

#24 VR38DETT

VR38DETT

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2014 - 19:12

1) You're definitely confusing StarWind and SolarWinds... So what software did you run exactly? Storage provider or storage monitor?

2) StarWind VSAN (ex-Native SAN) can run hardware-less (on the same nodes where Hyper-V resides making 2-node config fully redundant, with Microsoft iSCSI or SMB 3.0 you'll need at least 3 physical nodes and 3d storage node would be unprotected being basically a single point of failure). Free version can run clustered just fine and it's great for Test & Development. See:

http://www.starwinds...-v-free-edition

So if OP has two physical hosts I think he'll be fine.

Good luck and happy clustering :)

The free version of solar winds software doesn't support that either (if memory serves me, I would have to go over their free offering again) the paid version wasn't exactly inexpensive either from what I remember. The free version was pretty limited from my recollection. And yes it was a single node setup, not multiple hosts...I don't believe the op has multiple hosts either as this is a test environment to learn ad with.

#25 VR38DETT

VR38DETT

Neowinian

Posted 27 January 2014 - 19:16

For Test & Developmen scenario there's no point to deploy limited MS iSCSI at all. For a reason: SMB 3.0 is faster (Microsoft iSCSI is not cached at server side with RAM and has issues with keeping VHDX on a tiered / cached storage spaces so basically no flash cache either, SMB 3.0 is fully cached @ the same time) and with R2 you can use shared VHDX instead of iSCSI for guest VM clusters making MS iSCSI target history :) 

Shouldn't need to download if using 2012.

#26 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 January 2014 - 19:20

The star wind iscsi software. I don't think solar winds has a iscsi software, they do have a lot of other things mainly for troubleshooting and reporting though.

#27 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 100
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 20:44

"local.home2.com (Thats my AD forest I believe If I read it correctly)"

I would not use a domain that is registered on the public net for your AD domain to be honest.

Make it something like home2.local or .lan or .whatever -- home2.com is a registered domain, and looks to be parked and has a wild card on it.. so your local.home2.com resolves on the public net to this.

budman@ubuntu:~$ dig local.home2.com +short
budman@ubuntu:~$

Points to here for authoritative dns
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
home2.com. 3438 IN NS a.ns.ultsearch.com.
home2.com. 3438 IN NS b.ns.ultsearch.com.

#28 riahc3

riahc3

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:35

Hello,

"local.home2.com (Thats my AD forest I believe If I read it correctly)"

I would not use a domain that is registered on the public net for your AD domain to be honest.

Make it something like home2.local or .lan or .whatever -- home2.com is a registered domain, and looks to be parked and has a wild card on it.. so your local.home2.com resolves on the public net to this.

budman@ubuntu:~$ dig local.home2.com +short
budman@ubuntu:~$

Points to here for authoritative dns
;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
home2.com. 3438 IN NS a.ns.ultsearch.com.
home2.com. 3438 IN NS b.ns.ultsearch.com.

Yeah, I made a mistake on that :( AD was telling me something like I had to have a subdomain and tld, seperated by a "." I mistook (I was hurrying thru the process" that I had to put a "." two times for some reason, so yeah, next will be home2.local or something.