20 posts in this topic

Posted

I've just found it rather interesting that seeing as how most people on Neowin are relatively competent with a computer, that even though the site is "down", we're all still browsing and posting like nothing is going on.  The forums have slowed down noticeably sure, but I just think it's neat that a lot of people were smart enough to figure out how to work around a DNS issue.

So how does this get counted when you guys run your figures at the end of the year?  Does it contribute to "downtime" since going to www.neowin.net doesn't work out of the gate, or does it not get counted since your server is still functioning and people can access it?

Just bored while a YouTube video uploads and figured I'd shoot the breeze.

Posted

I've just found it rather interesting that seeing as how most people on Neowin are relatively competent with a computer, that even though the site is "down", we're all still browsing and posting like nothing is going on.  The forums have slowed down noticeably sure, but I just think it's neat that a lot of people were smart enough to figure out how to work around a DNS issue.

So how does this get counted when you guys run your figures at the end of the year?  Does it contribute to "downtime" since going to www.neowin.net doesn't work out of the gate, or does it not get counted since your server is still functioning and people can access it?

I think it just goes to show how boring/addicted to neowin we are.   The main site url/address goes down.. instead of using it as a break.. we just find one that works and carry on.

Also, saw this video on youtube, and lol'd hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBJU9ndpH1Q

2 people like this

Posted

I didn't know it was a DNS error until I did a Google search and found the post on Twitter about it.

Redirection in place and working "normally" for now.

Posted

Used the HOSTS edit, to login properly, after discovering about neow.in,   in one the bried moments neowin.net was working.

Posted

It's still going to hurt the site. There are likely many who try to access neowin.net, then give up when the site doesn't load.
1 person likes this

Posted

speak for yourself, It's taken me 2 hours just to figure out how to log in, and post (for some reason it keeps logging me back out) :p

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi, I'm Nick and I'm an addict. Yesterday I tried accessing Neowin.net and when it didn't work I thought, "oh...guess I'll try again in a few hours." This morning it all became too much, and doing a quick Google of Neowin brought up Ghacks article which told me about neow.in.

It's good to be back. :laugh:
2 people like this

Posted

I'm suprised we switched to neow.in instead of the newly aquired .com. The first thing I did when I couldn't access .net was try .com and then I checked the facebook. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm suprised we switched to neow.in instead of the newly aquired .com. The first thing I did when I couldn't access .net was try .com and then I checked the facebook. 

neowin.com is under the same registration and also currently tagged with ns*.badwhoisshutdown.com :/

1 person likes this

Posted

I didn't know it was a DNS error until I did a Google search and found the post on Twitter about it.

Redirection in place and working "normally" for now.

Same. Wasn't loading using .net, so I checked Twitter to see what was up.

Posted

Hi, I'm Nick and I'm an addict. Yesterday I tried accessing Neowin.net and when it didn't work I thought, "oh...guess I'll try again in a few hours." This morning it all became too much, and doing a quick Google of Neowin brought up Ghacks article which told me about neow.in.

It's good to be back. :laugh:

Same for me, I figured it was the weekend I could use a break.  Also already had plans to go snowboarding so it worked out nicely.

Posted

neowin.com is under the same registration and also currently tagged with ns*.badwhoisshutdown.com :/

No it's not :P

Posted

You can also use the Neogamr domain, which is what I've been using to access it. :p

1 person likes this

Posted

First time it didn't open for me, I thought this is weird. is it possible they forgot to renew the domain or something so I did a whois check and the domain is there till 2017. So I googled neowin down and i found the twitter page then I just edited /etc/hosts and I was browsing news again. It didn't take much time ;)

Posted

Well I went to the Facebook page and followed the link to the new forum

Posted

Finally got in on IE and even after finding the Tweet it still took hours but Firefox is telling me the address is invalid on sign in and thats after the certificatte issue it flags up......Oh well another day on the internets

Posted

You can also use the Neogamr domain, which is what I've been using to access it. :p

Thank you. This one worked much better for me and now I can access the forum.

Posted

I too found the neow.in link from twitter.. took me a while to find the actual twitter feed though.

Posted

Well I went to the Facebook page and followed the link to the new forum

It's not a new forum, its the exact same forum!

1 person likes this

Posted

It's not a new forum, its the exact same forum!

Are you the same DaveLegg?

This is so confusing.

1 person likes this