site outage

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,402 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 00:10

I've just found it rather interesting that seeing as how most people on Neowin are relatively competent with a computer, that even though the site is "down", we're all still browsing and posting like nothing is going on.  The forums have slowed down noticeably sure, but I just think it's neat that a lot of people were smart enough to figure out how to work around a DNS issue.

So how does this get counted when you guys run your figures at the end of the year?  Does it contribute to "downtime" since going to www.neowin.net doesn't work out of the gate, or does it not get counted since your server is still functioning and people can access it?

Just bored while a YouTube video uploads and figured I'd shoot the breeze.

#2 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 03 February 2014 - 00:12

I've just found it rather interesting that seeing as how most people on Neowin are relatively competent with a computer, that even though the site is "down", we're all still browsing and posting like nothing is going on.  The forums have slowed down noticeably sure, but I just think it's neat that a lot of people were smart enough to figure out how to work around a DNS issue.

So how does this get counted when you guys run your figures at the end of the year?  Does it contribute to "downtime" since going to www.neowin.net doesn't work out of the gate, or does it not get counted since your server is still functioning and people can access it?

I think it just goes to show how boring/addicted to neowin we are.   The main site url/address goes down.. instead of using it as a break.. we just find one that works and carry on.

Also, saw this video on youtube, and lol'd hard.

#3 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,416 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 00:57

I didn't know it was a DNS error until I did a Google search and found the post on Twitter about it.

Redirection in place and working "normally" for now.

#4 panacea

panacea

technical cannibal

• 6,052 posts
  • Phone: htc one

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:24

Used the HOSTS edit, to login properly, after discovering about neow.in,   in one the bried moments neowin.net was working.

#5 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,149 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:28

It's still going to hurt the site. There are likely many who try to access neowin.net, then give up when the site doesn't load.

#6 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,528 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 07:00

speak for yourself, It's taken me 2 hours just to figure out how to log in, and post (for some reason it keeps logging me back out) :p

#7 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,347 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 13:07

Hi, I'm Nick and I'm an addict. Yesterday I tried accessing Neowin.net and when it didn't work I thought, "oh...guess I'll try again in a few hours." This morning it all became too much, and doing a quick Google of Neowin brought up Ghacks article which told me about neow.in.

It's good to be back. :laugh:

#8 +Kyle K.

Kyle K.

aka Kyle

• 866 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 13:16

I'm suprised we switched to neow.in instead of the newly aquired .com. The first thing I did when I couldn't access .net was try .com and then I checked the facebook. 

#9 Eric

Eric

Neowinian Senior

• 12,670 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 14:15

I'm suprised we switched to neow.in instead of the newly aquired .com. The first thing I did when I couldn't access .net was try .com and then I checked the facebook. 

neowin.com is under the same registration and also currently tagged with ns*.badwhoisshutdown.com :/

#10 +beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• 1,357 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 03 February 2014 - 14:28

I didn't know it was a DNS error until I did a Google search and found the post on Twitter about it.

Redirection in place and working "normally" for now.

Same. Wasn't loading using .net, so I checked Twitter to see what was up.

#11 Bertch

Bertch

Neowinian

• 382 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 14:28

Hi, I'm Nick and I'm an addict. Yesterday I tried accessing Neowin.net and when it didn't work I thought, "oh...guess I'll try again in a few hours." This morning it all became too much, and doing a quick Google of Neowin brought up Ghacks article which told me about neow.in.

It's good to be back. :laugh:

Same for me, I figured it was the weekend I could use a break.  Also already had plans to go snowboarding so it worked out nicely.

#12 DaveLegg

DaveLegg

Coderator at heart

• 7,655 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 15:21

neowin.com is under the same registration and also currently tagged with ns*.badwhoisshutdown.com :/

No it's not :p

#13 +LimeMaster

LimeMaster

LippyZillaD Council ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• 8,556 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 03 February 2014 - 15:23

You can also use the Neogamr domain, which is what I've been using to access it. :p

#14 Hussam Al-tayeb

Hussam Al-tayeb

Neowinian

• 118 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire HD

Posted 03 February 2014 - 16:51

First time it didn't open for me, I thought this is weird. is it possible they forgot to renew the domain or something so I did a whois check and the domain is there till 2017. So I googled neowin down and i found the twitter page then I just edited /etc/hosts and I was browsing news again. It didn't take much time ;)

#15 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

• 3,925 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 17:06

Well I went to the Facebook page and followed the link to the new forum