Photo

Best hosted Email/exchange platform for a small business?

Answered Go to the full post email exchange google apps

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 jordanspringer

jordanspringer

Springster

Posted 07 February 2014 - 17:56

So, you are telling me $3750 for exchange services PER YEAR for 25 employees is somehow better that what was being offered in Small Business Server 2011 Standard (75 users) which is $739.99 on Amazon right now? You could easily put this on server hardware for <$3000. Let's say it even costs you another $3000 to an IT consultant to setup. In 5 years time you are going to pay MS $18750 for exchange services, your server will only have cost you ~$7000. You can't argue paying for support would cost more with your own server, because you still need an IT consultant for other issues and even to possibly maintain a small file server (not to mention paying one for the initial setup or migration to hosted exchange services) if you have hosted exchange services. I doubt it would cost $11000 more in IT consulting services and office desktop applications for 25 users.

Office 365 is all about a steady stream of revenue for Microsoft, not about giving small businesses what they need and saving them money.

If all you need are Exchange services, then its only $1200 per year for 25 employees. Small businesses would rather pay this than having full time IT staff. They also won't have to pay for any support on their servers or have to worry about downtime as much. When the next version of Exchange server comes out, you'll automatically be upgraded. Over a 5 year span, you're paying $6000. Compare that to 5 years of Exchange licensing (25cals), server hardware and support, backups etc. Most small businesses under 25 employees don't have their own IT staff anyways, so this is a reasonable option.

#32 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

Posted 07 February 2014 - 17:58

So, you are telling me $3750 for exchange services PER YEAR for 25 employees is somehow better that what was being offered in Small Business Server 2011 Standard (75 users) which is $739.99 on Amazon right now? You could easily put this on server hardware for <$3000. Let's say it even costs you another $3000 to an IT consultant to setup. In 5 years time you are going to pay MS $18750 for exchange services, your server will only have cost you ~$7000. You can't argue paying for support would cost more with your own server, because you still need an IT consultant for other issues and even to possibly maintain a small file server (not to mention paying one for the initial setup or migration to hosted exchange services) if you have hosted exchange services. I doubt it would cost $11000 more in IT consulting services and office desktop applications for 25 users.

Office 365 is all about a steady stream of revenue for Microsoft, not about giving small businesses what they need and saving them money.

For 25 users office 365 without full office is 1500 a year .

#33 goatsniffer

goatsniffer

Supercalifragilisticexpialidosh

Posted 07 February 2014 - 18:10

For 25 users office 365 without full office is 1500 a year .

OK, I agree. You should use Office 365 if you can do all you need to do for work inside of a browser.

#34 jordanspringer

jordanspringer

Springster

Posted 07 February 2014 - 18:29

OK, I agree. You should use Office 365 if you can do all you need to do for work inside of a browser.

It's actually as low as $1200/year/25users. If the company has existing MS Office Software (2007+) It will work with their O365 Exchange Online plan. If they need to purchase Office software for 25 users, that gets expensive any way you look at it.

#35 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:37

WTF this has gone on some wild tangent!

Office 365, exchange only (no lync/sharepoint etc) is £2.60 per user per month, with full outlook and mobile sync, it IS FULL EXCHANGE 2013. That's £780 per year for 25 users.

Also you missing the whole having to purchase a SAN SSL cert every year if hosted on site (or deal with trust issues on mobiles and outlook clients unless they are domain members or have your own CA cert installed, a pain in the ass). That's going to set you back nearly £200 a year.

Then the internet connection, all that SMTP traffic hitting you ADSL connection with absolutely zero control over what gets to your gateway until your local server either accepts or denies it.

Then the power used up, and the additional costs of support.

There is a very good reason SBS was dropped, a lot of people bought it and thought it was plug and play, that they could just run it like they do a desktop OS (in terms of simplicity not actually use it as a desktop) and a lot of people simply got into a right big mess, it was a product that said 'this is simple' when its the absolute opposite of simple.

Simple is leaving your exchange system to be managed by the people that make it, leave it hosted on a redundant platform that is not going to lose your stuff and is going to be absolutely more reliable than your office setup, its having upgrades as they are released and not have to worry about downtime, its having the latest version all the time and not having to swallow huge costs to do so.

#36 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 February 2014 - 20:47

Also, I do provide IT support services and what I said above hurts my bottom line, but its still true and I cant cling onto a dying format forever, I have to change with the times. There is no way I can honestly say to a small client that they are best of with onsite exchange unless they absolutely 100% need ot for a specific reason (privacy, parent company policy etc.).

The real TCO calculations simply do not support advising them of this, and they also benefit from a better internet connection (this is arguable, but Ive seen plenty of customers connections get swamped as people are sending them attachments of 20MB+ to multiple internal recipients - the point is you have no control over what hits your exchange box, sure you can deny it but its already choking your pipe).

Having such a busy endpoint based in the cloud makes sense in multiple ways, having exchange sitting in a little office eon the end of an ADSL connection doesn't make sense in so many ways.

#37 OP Kushan

Kushan

Sold his soul for some megahurtz

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:50

If all you need are Exchange services, then its only $1200 per year for 25 employees. Small businesses would rather pay this than having full time IT staff. They also won't have to pay for any support on their servers or have to worry about downtime as much. When the next version of Exchange server comes out, you'll automatically be upgraded. Over a 5 year span, you're paying $6000. Compare that to 5 years of Exchange licensing (25cals), server hardware and support, backups etc. Most small businesses under 25 employees don't have their own IT staff anyways, so this is a reasonable option.

This is exactly the position my company is in. We've got around 20 employees, nobody is a full time IT guy and while it might be cheaper in terms of licensing and hardware costs to buy exchange, it's not going to be as fault-free. We're happy to pay per-user-per-month if it means less support issues and a more stable platform.

If the company was to expand further, then it'd be different but right now Office 365 looks to be ideal for us. I'll also look at Exchange online, that might just be plenty of us as well.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!