Windows 8 reset or fresh install.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 10 February 2014 - 15:03

Hmm... I could have sworn the ISO I have I used on a customers machine and it just activated. They didn't have pro either. But I also know i used it to install Pro. Are you sure all versions are in the same iso?

I don't know if the iso contains more than 1 version.

I will create a partition on my tablet C: drive and try to install from the 8.1 pro iso, which I have from my desktop upgrade.

This is the iso gotten from Microsoft using the "download with product key" procedure.

I guess this is the only way to know for sure.

#17 Tews

Tews

Professional Lurker

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 February 2014 - 15:05

http://howto.cnet.co...indows-8.1-iso/

#18 jasondefaoite

jasondefaoite

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 February 2014 - 15:27

I just did this yesterday for a friend of mine. Downloaded the generic x64 8.1 iso from MSDN. Formatted the HDD of his laptop, and reinstalled from the iso. It should work with the iso you can download from Microsoft yourself. But there is a trick to it (for both retail and MSDN media)

At the beginning of the setup you'll be asked for a cdkey. You cannot use the windows 8.0 OEM key here. It won't work. You need to use a generic 8.1 key (there are two floating around ... one for 8.1 Core, and one for 8.1 Professional). This allows you to install the OS, however it won't activate. You should use the key which matches your OS. If you have 8.0 Pro, use the pro key. Else use core.

Once installed, you can then go into control panel, activate, and put in your OEM key. It'll work then, and activates no problem.

#19 pratnala

pratnala

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5 with Lollipop

Posted 10 February 2014 - 15:33

Hmm... I could have sworn the ISO I have I used on a customers machine and it just activated. They didn't have pro either. But I also know i used it to install Pro. Are you sure all versions are in the same iso?

Both Core and Pro come in the same ISO

#20 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 18:40

I just did this yesterday for a friend of mine. Downloaded the generic x64 8.1 iso from MSDN. Formatted the HDD of his laptop, and reinstalled from the iso. It should work with the iso you can download from Microsoft yourself. But there is a trick to it (for both retail and MSDN media)

At the beginning of the setup you'll be asked for a cdkey. You cannot use the windows 8.0 OEM key here. It won't work. You need to use a generic 8.1 key (there are two floating around ... one for 8.1 Core, and one for 8.1 Professional). This allows you to install the OS, however it won't activate. You should use the key which matches your OS. If you have 8.0 Pro, use the pro key. Else use core.

Once installed, you can then go into control panel, activate, and put in your OEM key. It'll work then, and activates no problem.

I don't have access to MSDN.    I'll try it that way though. 

#21 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2014 - 18:54

I don't have access to MSDN.    I'll try it that way though. 

It worked for me.

As Pratnala said above, apparently the 8.1 ISO does have both versions.

The generic install keys are easily available via web search:

Core: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
    Professional: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

I used the core key above, and it installed fine.

I did not have to activate. My key is embedded in the UEFI BIOS, so apparently Windows just read this and activated by itself.

One caveat, though:

If you use the upgrade ISO from Microsoft, do not format your drive before installing.

Do it from the install procedure.

If you have an MSDN or full install ISO, then you can format before installing.

#22 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:06

It worked for me.

As Pratnala said above, apparently the 8.1 ISO does have both versions.

The generic install keys are easily available via web search:

Core: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
    Professional: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB

I used the core key above, and it installed fine.

I did not have to activate. My key is embedded in the UEFI BIOS, so apparently Windows just read this and activated by itself.

One caveat, though:

If you use the upgrade ISO from Microsoft, do not format your drive before installing.

Do it from the install procedure.

If you have an MSDN or full install ISO, then you can format before installing.

So you did NOT have to go into the control panel then click activate and enter your key, correct?

Is there a way to get the full install iso directly from microsoft?

Once I would truly format then reinstall is that key still in the bios or is it gone?

#23 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:16

So you did NOT have to go into the control panel then click activate and enter your key, correct?

Is there a way to get the full install iso directly from microsoft?

Once I would truly format then reinstall is that key still in the bios or is it gone?

When I went to control panel to activate it it said "Windows is activated".

This will not happen until you have Internet access in the new install.

If your key is not on a sticker on the case of your computer, it is in the BIOS.

This remains there, no matter what you do. It cannot be removed.

The only way I know of to get a full install ISO from Microsoft is via Technet/MSDN, which, like you, I do not have access to.

The ISO I used was the one I had from my desktop computer upgrade, which i downloaded using the same procedure you first tried.

It worked for me because I had purchased the Windows 8.1 Pro $40 upgrade offered a while ago.

If you know someone with a retail 8.1 pro installed, you can try using their system to download the ISO

Otherwise PM me, and I will provide some info.

#24 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:31

if you're having trouble getting the iso to download directly from MS you can also get the technet/msdn copies from any torrent site such as thepiratebay. and yes it is completely legal to get the install media that way

#25 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:32

When I went to control panel to activate it it said "Windows is activated".

This will not happen until you have Internet access in the new install.

If your key is not on a sticker on the case of your computer, it is in the BIOS.

This remains there, no matter what you do. It cannot be removed.

The only way I know of to get a full install ISO from Microsoft is via Technet/MSDN, which, like you, I do not have access to.

The ISO I used was the one I had from my desktop computer upgrade, which i downloaded using the same procedure you first tried.

It worked for me because I had purchased the Windows 8.1 Pro $40 upgrade offered a while ago.

If you know someone with a retail 8.1 pro installed, you can try using their system to download the ISO

Otherwise PM me, and I will provide some info.

I'll PM you, everyone I know uses 7.  

if you're having trouble getting the iso to download directly from MS you can also get the technet/msdn copies from any torrent site such as thepiratebay. and yes it is completely legal to get the install media that way

I thought about that, but how safe is it?

#26 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:41

I thought about that, but how safe is it?

just as safe as getting it directly from technet in the case of thepiratebay. you can always check the comments to verify it's a legit file as well. thepiratebay generally has a pretty good community so you'll know if a file is legit or not

#27 OP Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:44

just as safe as getting it directly from technet in the case of thepiratebay. you can always check the comments to verify it's a legit file as well. thepiratebay generally has a pretty good community so you'll know if a file is legit or not

Thanks. 

#28 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 10 February 2014 - 19:56

In the past (and it's been a while) when I didn't have media I'd just go and uninstall all the extra stuff.  Are there programs that don't appear in there now?

#29 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

Posted 10 February 2014 - 20:06

In the past (and it's been a while) when I didn't have media I'd just go and uninstall all the extra stuff.  Are there programs that don't appear in there now?

This is what I did, too.

But if you have to reset/reinstall, it's the same old crapola all over again.

#30 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 20:11

ISO files contain both the Core and Pro versions. Normally you wouldn't see the dialog that let's you choose which version to install because the setup reads the key from your UEFI/BIOS and selects that accordingly.

There's a third version many laptops and computers have that is called Core Single Language and it won't activate with the regular Core version. If that's the case, the ISO for the Core Single Language media can be found on torrent sites like TPB.

You can always uninstall things you don't want, update eveything and make a disk image to use when needed.

If you don't want to do that, going for a fresh install using ISO files is the better workaround.

This is what I did, too.

But if you have to reset/reinstall, it's the same old crapola all over again.