44 replies to this topic

#1 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,642 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:57

Hello,

Funny case happened to me today: A family member said he was gonna build his own PC with parts he bought. Thats all fine (I guess, no idea what parts he bought) but then I actually laugh because he tells me he wants to pirate Windows and I just laughed :laugh: How can you build you own PC, piece by piece, and not even go thru the effort of looking how to pirate a piece of software?

I highly recommended him NOT to build his own PC because he is gonna have problems looking for drivers and termal paste if he doesnt even know how to do Windows! He said he knows how, completely ignoring my advice.

I also told him that basically if he is building a gaming rig, Windows 7 Home Premium is avaliable for 81.65€ ; Its not worth it since almost all of your components have costed you that much or more. Don't know if he is gonna listen to me or not.

Anyways thats about it :) Sorry if I bored any of you.

#2 +Heartripper

Heartripper

Neowinian

• 1,140 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:04

It's like those who spend hundreds of bucks for a smartphone and then pirate 0.99$ apps  :laugh:

#3 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,352 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:06

I disagree. I know many people that know all about hardware, but they also live on the right side of the law. As such they have never had a need to know how to pirate material, and they tend to ask friends in a similar field to them before going online and reading through a tutorial.

#4 OP +riahc3

riahc3

• 7,642 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:49

Hello,

I disagree. I know many people that know all about hardware, but they also live on the right side of the law. As such they have never had a need to know how to pirate material, and they tend to ask friends in a similar field to them before going online and reading through a tutorial.

Its not about living on the right side of the law Nick; If you know about hardware and how to connect everything (which included real manuals) I think you can look up a tutorial about this subject.

Obviously, you dont know this indivdual like I do so obviously there are parts missing: Trust me, this guy doesnt know how to mount his own PC, first one he makes. Sorry I did not state that.

It's like those who spend hundreds of bucks for a smartphone and then pirate 0.99$ apps  :laugh:

That in a sense is even worst.

#5 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

• 2,867 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 13:16

> Windows 7 Home Premium is avaliable for 81.65€ ; Its not worth it since almost all of your components have costed you that much or more.

I don't even know what that means.  What is "worth it" because of what he paid for his components?

Anyway...tell him to man up and just buy it.

And did you know how to put everything together the first time you built yours?  Let him learn.

#6 Jarrichvdv

Jarrichvdv

Not all who wander are lost

• 1,013 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8 GDR3

Posted 12 February 2014 - 13:21

He should just buy the damn thing. He also did not steal his components; and the OS is simply a part of a computer build.

#7 xWhiplash

xWhiplash

Neowinian Senior

• 1,589 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 13:21

Hello,
Its not about living on the right side of the law Nick; If you know about hardware and how to connect everything (which included real manuals) I think you can look up a tutorial about this subject.

Obviously, you dont know this indivdual like I do so obviously there are parts missing: Trust me, this guy doesnt know how to mount his own PC, first one he makes. Sorry I did not state that.
That in a sense is even worst.

Um, I know how to build computers, I have built three in fact.  However, I do not know how to pirate Windows or any software since I always purchase my software.  You are right, I CAN look it up and find out, but I am not going to.

#8 OP +riahc3

riahc3

• 7,642 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 13:40

Hello,

> Windows 7 Home Premium is avaliable for 81.65€ ; Its not worth it since almost all of your components have costed you that much or more.

I don't even know what that means.  What is "worth it" because of what he paid for his components?

All his other components (PSU, RAM, Processor, Case, etc) have problably cost him 80€ or more. Thats why its not worth it.

Um, I know how to build computers, I have built three in fact.  However, I do not know how to pirate Windows or any software since I always purchase my software.  You are right, I CAN look it up and find out, but I am not going to.

But the difference is that you can and want to pirate it (this is a example). This person wants to but just cant look up the information because he cant built his PC either.

And did you know how to put everything together the first time you built yours? Let him learn.

I never built my first one. Saw someone do it and afterwards Ive built looking thru the internet and asking Neowin (hell, even today I have to ask Neowin for advice if I was building because some time ago I had a problem with a I/O backplate). Never had a problem because I searched and asked.

#9 Daedroth

Daedroth

Neowinian

• 1,095 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 13:50

When I built my first computer, I didn't know how to pirate Windows. I simply ran off the trial version of Windows XP. Why not let him learn?

#10 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 33,995 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 14:01

I build computers on an almost weekly basis.  If it came to installing and running a pirated version of Windows 8 in any reliable manner, I would be lost!

What's your point?

#11 Jarrichvdv

Jarrichvdv

Not all who wander are lost

• 1,013 posts
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8 GDR3

Posted 12 February 2014 - 14:02

But the difference is that you can and want to pirate it (this is a example). This person wants to but just cant look up the information because he cant built his PC either.

Pretty sure xWhiplash does not want to pirate it, at least that's how I understood his comment.

#12 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,668 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 12 February 2014 - 14:06

I could build a PC blindfolded, but I wouldn't even know where to start pirating Windows.

#13 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• 6,163 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 February 2014 - 14:06

Hello,
All his other components (PSU, RAM, Processor, Case, etc) have problably cost him 80€ or more. Thats why its not worth it.

I never built my first one. Saw someone do it and afterwards Ive built looking thru the internet and asking Neowin (hell, even today I have to ask Neowin for advice if I was building because some time ago I had a problem with a I/O backplate). Never had a problem because I searched and asked.

I'm confused. Are you saying he shouldn't legally acquire Windows simply because he spent money on hardware? If that is the case, why didn't he just steal everything?

Also, you have to start somewhere. I can put a computer together in my sleep I am sure. But that doesn't mean I didn't start somewhere. I started literally by taking apart the computers I purchased since the resources on the web now to help people didn't exist when I learned in 1997... Never discourage someone from learning. His mistakes will lead him down a path of self exploration and learning. Our greatest lessons are learned in those moments.

#14 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• 2,657 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 14:11

Then teach him; nobody borns knowing all the stuff and he wants to build his own PC so why not? I would advice him to run SteamOS if the games he wants to play are supported (or another Linux variation for gaming / productivity), but a Windows license can be expensive if it's Retail; a digital download or a Get Genuine Kit (GGK) not so much, depends the retailer.

Also i know a lot of good devs that don't know how to get a "free" Windows license.

#15 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,923 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 12 February 2014 - 14:13

I could build a PC blindfolded, but I wouldn't even know where to start pirating Windows.

I assume Google.  :rofl: