DigitalE

Tree Climber

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:10

Here's what I'm running currently.

CPU: i5-3570K

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

GPU: Gigabye GTX 670 Windforce

Case: Antec Three Hundred

I'm contemplating switching to a Mini-ITX setup as I'm getting tired of this giant computer taking up so much space. The two parts specifically I'm specifically looking at buying are the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard and the Corsair Obsidian 250D case. I don't plan on upgrading my CPU for another year or two at least, so is sticking with the older Z77 chipset okay or should I go with Z87 to future-proof? Any other thoughts are welcome.

#2 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:20

Hello,

Any other thoughts are welcome.

This is a thought semirelated but I think we are gonna see people looking more like your case DigitalE: Big power inside a small case and motherboard.

Mobile phones are getting bigger and bigger.
PCs are getting smaller and smaller.

Im gonna watch this thread. I cant really guide you because most Mini-ITX cases are limited as some cannot house a full graphics card (or at least two)

#3 Lord Zog

Lord Zog

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:42

I like this case cause it supports full size cards from this generation. I am looking at building a PC with this case and the Asus Maximus VI Impact board. Perfect HTPC or LAN party machine. :)

#4 ryoohki

ryoohki

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2014 - 13:10

I did the switch to a prodigy M last year. I had to swap my motherboard to a matx I bought a cheap gigabyte 85$ motherboard and it's running rock solid . I did upgrade my cpu to a i7 and my gpu to a 780 not so long ago Lolllllllllll. There's a lot of good case out there now a day

#5 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 13 February 2014 - 13:56

Either that ASUS or the Gigabyte is a good choice. I've always used Intel boards, but that's me.

#6 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 13 February 2014 - 14:04

That Obsidian Series 250D isn't actually as small as they make it to look in the pictures

#7 BrainDedd

BrainDedd

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III

Posted 13 February 2014 - 14:06

If you're a gamer ... the ASUS Maximus VI Impact?

http://www.asus.com/...IMUS_VI_IMPACT/

#8 IceBreakerG

IceBreakerG

Local Ninja! Code Ninja That Is.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 13 February 2014 - 14:18

I have an ASRock Z87E-ITX board in my new system.  It's a pretty feature packed board.

I did a video series for YouTube on the build for all of the components: http://www.youtube.c...feature=mh_lolz

#9 OP DigitalE

DigitalE

Tree Climber

Posted 13 February 2014 - 16:54

That Obsidian Series 250D isn't actually as small as they make it to look in the pictures

I know it's not radically smaller like a NUC or anything, but it's still smaller than my current case and it's so pretty. I still need to be able to fit my huge graphics card in there, anyway.

If you're a gamer ... the ASUS Maximus VI Impact?

http://www.asus.com/...IMUS_VI_IMPACT/

I was under the impression at first that 3rd gen Intel chips would work on a Z87 motherboard, but I was wrong. Not only is the Maximus almost $100 more than the P8Z77-I, I'd have to buy a new CPU as well. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much right now.

#10 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 13 February 2014 - 17:26

I've never understood the hype over the Maximus boards.  It's not like a more expensive mobo is going to boost performance or anything.

I always go with Asus and have been extremely happy with every one of them.

The Asus ITX mobo you picked out looks good to me.

#11 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 13 February 2014 - 17:35

If I understand well, you already have an i5-3570k? Then it's absolutely not worth it to replace it with a Haswell CPU, just check any benchmarks, Haswell is not a big improvement clock-for-clock and doesn't overclock as well as Ivy Bridge (which itself overclocks worse than Sandy Bridge).

That said, mini-ITX is only really starting to become popular, so there's a lot more choice in z87 motherboards than z77. Still, yours is probably a fine choice.

#12 astrokat

astrokat

Neowinian Feline

Posted 13 February 2014 - 17:46

Not to hijack your thread, but my mom is looking for me to build her a new computer.  She wants a case that can sit on top of her desk ("like at work").  Any recommendations for a SFF case for a Haswell setup?

#13 OP DigitalE

DigitalE

Tree Climber

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:19

Great, thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and ordered the Corsair 250D and Asus P8Z77-I. Next week can't come soon enough!

#14 BrainDedd

BrainDedd

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:15

I was under the impression at first that 3rd gen Intel chips would work on a Z87 motherboard, but I was wrong. Not only is the Maximus almost $100 more than the P8Z77-I, I'd have to buy a new CPU as well. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much right now.

Sorry, didn't see that part ...

#15 Decebalvs Rex

Decebalvs Rex

Transylvanian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:36

IMO , Intel offers the most solid mobos without all those jingles and colours packed up altogether.

I'm quite sad they will stop producing and probably supporting their motherboards.

@ DigitalE : I would use your thread like a snake to get myself some info !

My question is: Any cheap Intel Ivy motherboards out there in mATX form ?

I need it to run 1600 XMP Ram profile (not important)  and 2 USB 3.0 ports are enough. I don't need any features and I want it as cheap as possible. I do not SLI nor OC.

I currently own a i5 3450 cpu and a H77 Gigabyte mobo wich will die soon.

I am okay even with H61 mobos if cheap and compatible. My Ram is 8GB Kingston 1333/1600 Mhz XMP.

Thanks in advance lads!