Windows tablets not bad!

You mean to say Office RT actually runs in a built-in x86 emulator? Or that x86 Office would run unmodified in Windows RT because of an in-built x86 emulator if only it were signed appropriately? :huh:

The first RT devices ran office in a built in emulator, I think 2013 is more or less compiled for ARM, not sure about that. at any rate RT does have an inaccessible built in x86 emulator, and supposedly a very good one at that. 

The first RT devices ran office in a built in emulator, I think 2013 is more or less compiled for ARM, not sure about that. at any rate RT does have an inaccessible built in x86 emulator, and supposedly a very good one at that.

Surface RT was the first RT device and came with Office 2013 RT. Can you provide links to sources that prove Office 2013 RT is an x86 version running in a built-in emulator? In fact, can you provide links to sources that prove Windows RT has an built-in x86 emulator? This is the first I'm hearing of it and would like to know more.

Microsoft recompiled the Office source to produce the version that runs natively on RT's ARM CPU just like they did for all the desktop apps like calc.exe and notepad.exe.  There's no "x86 emulator".

Tell that to the other guy. I know at least one third party x86 emulator for Windows RT exists, but a built-in x86 emulator? I'm not the one making this claim which does seem absurd to me. That's why I asked for proof above.

Ah, the age of question of "But can it run crysis?".  :D

Well, here's your answer: Crysis 3 running on Surface Pro 2

Check out the other videos on that channel too.

Can it run Crysis 3? yes. Can it run Crysis 3 well? No. That's a big difference.

If you look at the video, it's running at a non-native low resolution (1024 x 768), all the graphic settings are lowest, and nearly all the effects are turned off completely. Then there's the poor frame rate. I'm sure I could get an ageing PC to run Crysis 3 too with those settings.

And Crysis 1 ? Crysis 3. The former being much more demanding.

Honestly, I haven't really found anything I needed to run on my Surface 2. I mostly for entertainment purposes, but MS Office comes in handy when I have to do some work on it. The apps that are available and the (full) IE, does what I need.

Can it run Crysis 3? yes. Can it run Crysis 3 well? No. That's a big difference.

If you look at the video, it's running at a non-native low resolution (1024 x 768), all the graphic settings are lowest, and nearly all the effects are turned off completely. Then there's the poor frame rate. I'm sure I could get an ageing PC to run Crysis 3 too with those settings.

And Crysis 1 ? Crysis 3. The former being much more demanding.

So you're saying that a 2007 game is more demanding than a 2013 game...Alright then. :)

Well, using your own absurd logic, from the same channel, Crysis 1 on Surface Pro 1, yes the older one. It's actually much more playable than Crysis 3 on Surface Pro 2. And hello, need I remind you we're talking about a tablet here, not a full fledged gaming PC? Even the idea of the game running on any other tablet other than the Surface is laughable. The question here is not if it can run Crysis well but simply can it run it. And since Crysis is wrongly assumed as the Chuck Norris of all games, if it can handle this beast, it can handle anything. That's the point.

HawkMan, x86 isn't emulated at all on Windows RT. Office and the desktop were specifically ported over to run on the architecture. However, not everything was. Windows RT is missing a lot of the old Windows components.

So you're saying that a 2007 game is more demanding than a 2013 game...Alright then. :)

Well, using your own absurd logic, from the same channel, Crysis 1 on Surface Pro 1, yes the older one. It's actually much more playable than Crysis 3 on Surface Pro 2.

That video does seem to show that. However, without seeing the settings used, I can't honestly say. I'll assume for arguments sake it's correct.

And hello, need I remind you we're talking about a tablet here, not a full fledged gaming PC?

The hardware in the Pro 1/2 is no different than a laptop really. And laptops can run Crysis too. It may have a tablet form factor, but it doesn't have the weight, battery life, or heat comparable to the likes of an iPad or an Android tablet.

It's just a very expensive laptop which doubles as a heavy, hot, and short battery life tablet.

Even the

idea of the game running on any other tablet other than the Surface is laughable.

And by any other tablet you're referring to ARM based tablets, which are lighter, quieter, cooler, less power hungry, last longer on a charge, and are significantly cheaper? You're comparing Apples to Oranges. Like I said, the pro is nothing more than a glorified laptop.

The question here is not if it can run Crysis well but simply can it run it. And since Crysis is wrongly assumed as the Chuck Norris of all games, if it can handle this beast, it can handle anything. That's the point.

I can run many games on old devices at 1-10 fps, but that doesn't mean they're usable or work well. When someone says "But does it run Crysis", there's an implicit assumption that it means at usable frame rates (consistent 30+, ideally more), along with reasonable graphical settings (native resolution, medium textures, and some particle / destruction effects). Without those things I don't deem a game playable, runable perhaps.