• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

• 3,651 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 February 2014 - 00:37

I didn't want this to be strictly in programming thread, but if it should, then move it.

as a healthcare provider, doing masters in health informatics, what database language should I fully pursue? should I seek DBA certification or other certifications?

I am not taking any DB courses, and I asked around and opinions sum to "it depends what you really want to do". So I'm anticipating that part of the clinical work I would want to deal with technical side of things, such databases, queries, transformation of medical information from one system to another (XML?), etc.

What do you guys think?

#2 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,156 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 00:58

I would say Microsoft SQL but then thinking back to when I worked with GSK, Pfizer et al, it was all Oracle.

#3 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,664 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:35

Is your end goal is to be a DBA in a medical setting (hospital) or company that provides EMR functionality? I would learn the basics - Oracle, SQL, but I would become familiar with Intersystems Cache (based on Mumps). Cache is used in EMR's like Epic, and other medical applications like Flowcast, etc.

#4 OP ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

• 3,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:54

Well, I'm not sure if I want to become a DBA, but more in the lines of medical information systems "whatever" :p be in it in clinical setting or pharma company.

#5 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• 6,664 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:31

Cool, maybe you can try getting an internship at a clinical setting and see if something sparks your interest. 

#6 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• 3,403 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:33

I would say Microsoft SQL but then thinking back to when I worked with GSK, Pfizer et al, it was all Oracle.

Not all ¬_¬

They have some software in there that only uses Microsoft SQL... I have the unfortunate pleasure of knowing more than I want to:)

#7 OP ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

• 3,651 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:42

Keep it on coming, guys, I'm listening. :D

#8 Barney T.

Barney T.

Debian Linux: I'm Loving It!

• 14,978 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 14:58

Congrats on your choice of fields. I am getting my Masters of Science in Nursing with an Informatics specialty. Been a RN for over 20 years and I am excited about getting this degree. I have about a year left till I graduate. Good luck! (Y)

#9 OP ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

• 3,651 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 14:07

Congrats on your choice of fields. I am getting my Masters of Science in Nursing with an Informatics specialty. Been a RN for over 20 years and I am excited about getting this degree. I have about a year left till I graduate. Good luck! (Y)

Thanks!

Do you learn any programming/DB in your program?