Color laser printer recommendation for student (options posted)

Ok, here is actual brother brand for 70$

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/brother-toner-cartridge-for-select-brother-printers/8486242.p?id=1218877696770&skuId=8486242&srccode=cii_6579419&cpncode=26-37273525&ref=16&loc=01#tab=overview

Lets add tax call it 77 /2500 is still only 0.0308 for black

Here is color ones

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/brother-toner-cartridge-cyan-laser-2200-page-1-each/248239101.html?srccode=cii_6579419

At 71.24 with free shipping = 213.72 / 2200 (what is listed as on these vs 2500) = 0.0971454545454545 seems still a lot cheaper to me ;)

As to being in stock - if you go to the website and say buy online, there is a #### load of stores to choose from all showing in stock.. I don't think its going to be an issue finding ink ;)  Even thought to be honest I prob won't need it for a while.. And even the cart its comes with are 1k each

What's in the Box

• HL-3170CDW
  • 1 Set of Starter Toner Cartridges (BK/C/M/Y) (1,000 pages each. Approximate toner cartridge yield in accordance with ISO/IEC 19798 [letter/A4])

So that will prob last me couple of years, if not longer - might be more cost effective to just buy a new printer when this ink runs out ( 200 / 1000 = 0.2 per print - paper ) ;)  Its a home printer, I print out say hard copies of my taxes, cardstock crafts for my granddaughter, etc.. 1000 pages is a long time for normal household printing..  And I don't have to worry about them drying out if I don't print anything for a month or so.  This is why laser makes way more sense to me - whatever brand you go with.

post-14624-0-29975800-1392640016.png

I would go with the Xerox WorkCentre 6505.  It is a bit more up front, but it has non OEM cartridges from LD Products for $18 each.  You will pay more up front, but in the short term (if you print like my wife) you will be saving a ton of money.

Hi friends,

Wishing you a happy new year. My niece is in the UK and needs a simple Color laser printer for her academic course. She is in graphic design and requires to print in color often. I am helping her identify a printer.

I identified a couple of options for her via Amazon and am sharing them here (in no order of preference), they are all in the 100-120 GBP price range.

I am open to alternate suggestions instead of these

1) Samsung CLP 365

2) HP CP 1025

3) Brother HL 3150 CDW

4) Brother HL 3140 CW

She is looking for a machine that is easy to setup and use, as she is not that technology proficient. A newer model is preferred to one that is being phased out.

I appreciate your recommendations!

desidude

would avoid lexmark at all costs. Used to be good brand, now make nothing but junk. I work with printers in my job, and I would recommedn HP 2025. Its not the best printer, but it does the job, and cartridges have a lot of pages. Some only offer 300 pages per cartridge and when each cartridge costs over ?60, you will start regreting it. And if shes a student surely her uni should have printers there. Wouldnt that be more cost effective?

I would prob go with just the Phaser 6010 vs that MFP that is freaking HUGE!!  Ink is very cheap for it as well - I show the LG compt carts for about 18 yup at what looks like a 1k page yield so dirt freaking cheap to print..  Its a bit slow on the print.. But shoot that might of been something I could of gotten - I see it online for same sort of price point 200$  And size is a smaller for sure..  Next time I will check out xerox options for sure!

So that 6010 is nice size, but sucks some power in the mode it most sits in and that's power save

Operating : 180 W

Standby : 31 W

Power save: 9 W

that 6505 power save mode is pretty high

Operating : 425 W

Standby : 65 W

Power save: 18.4 W

One of the features that I liked about the 3170 was the less than 1 watt in power save.

Power Consumption - Deep Sleep/Ready/Printing <1W/75W/660W

So its not using anything, and can have a page printed in a like 15 seconds.