ps4 sony vr virtual reality gdc game developers conference

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:53

Cool idea but will ultimately fail. Generally speaking, people don't like having to wear something. Look at 3D, one of the main turnoffs was the fact you needed to wear special glasses for it to work and I'd imagine that just like 3D this VR helmet might causes headaches/eye strain for some people. Finally, let's not forget cost! I can't imagine this being very cheap either. If released as a low volume niche thing, I could see it doing well though (Y) Well that is my 2 cents anyway, take with a grain of salt.

#17 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

Posted 22 February 2014 - 17:22

I remember VR headsets in the 90's. Even 3DTV's didn't take off like they wanted to despite all the marketing. It's just not something many consumers will purchase. Maybe when some device can produce holographic scenes in your living room similar to what MS's illuma thingy does without having to wear anything AND be affordable. But these new VR devices won't take off either. Too many people get sick or eyestrain and fatigue from wearing the device for very long.

#18 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 22 February 2014 - 17:31

I remember VR headsets in the 90's. Even 3DTV's didn't take off like they wanted to despite all the marketing. It's just not something many consumers will purchase. Maybe when some device can produce holographic scenes in your living room similar to what MS's illuma thingy does without having to wear anything AND be affordable. But these new VR devices won't take off either. Too many people get sick or eyestrain and fatigue from wearing the device for very long.

VR and 3D are technologies that seem to come and go in waves. I'm not sure why they do, maybe a new tech is discovered, or a company is looking for something to create excitement again.

Every decade or so these ideas resurface and then fade away after a period of experimentation. 3D is currently on the declining side of its current reincarnation. VR is just on its way up. We will see how long it lasts or if it finds a way to stick around.

#19 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 22 February 2014 - 18:46

Would be great if Sony can do this and really push the VR concept. As amazing as OR is (and it really is, i've tried it and it's overwhelmingly good), they've already said they're not that interested in the console market. If Sony pushes this out the door then we can start to see more use of VR spreading.

Fingers crossed it's as good as OR though!

#20 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:09

I really hope somebody does it right and affordable. Given Sony's overall history with software, I am not holding my breath but hope they prove me wrong.

I don't think there are any rumours of MS working on their own VR headset?

Search for codename Fortaleza. I think it has been rumored for equally long if not longer.

#21 +Livin in a box

Livin in a box

Oh man. I shot Marvin in the face.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: HTC One

Posted 23 February 2014 - 19:21

I've tried the Oculus Rift at a gaming event, and whilst it was enjoyable, I just can't see it (for me, anyway) being more than a short term fad. I enjoy playing games whilst being able to check my phone or do other things as well, not just be confined to the game.

#22 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2014 - 19:25

I've tried the Oculus Rift at a gaming event, and whilst it was enjoyable, I just can't see it (for me, anyway) being more than a short term fad. I enjoy playing games whilst being able to check my phone or do other things as well, not just be confined to the game.

Yeah I can't envision it being more than a niche product, but we'll see soon enough it seems.

#23 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 23 February 2014 - 20:34

HeadMountedDisplay_sc005-578-80.jpg

Back on topic, what its meant to look like.

#24 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2014 - 20:46

One thing that I havent heard from people regarding VR in light of this new hype train that has developed thanks to Oculus Rift is how silly people will look waring them.

I know this was a running joke for all the various motion control options. 3D also got a little of that for anyone waring active 3d glasses which often stuck out. VR is going to have plenty of that as well since its kind of hard to avoid having something that looks pretty strange covering your eyes. Its a little less strange then using motion controlls, but not much.

What will the reaction be to the first E3 demo of a VR game? I would say a fair number of gifs will be created :laugh:

Then what ahppens when VR is combined with motion controls? Even sillier gifs :laugh:

#25 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 23 February 2014 - 21:43

One thing that I havent heard from people regarding VR in light of this new hype train that has developed thanks to Oculus Rift is how silly people will look waring them.

I know this was a running joke for all the various motion control options. 3D also got a little of that for anyone waring active 3d glasses which often stuck out. VR is going to have plenty of that as well since its kind of hard to avoid having something that looks pretty strange covering your eyes. Its a little less strange then using motion controlls, but not much.

What will the reaction be to the first E3 demo of a VR game? I would say a fair number of gifs will be created :laugh:

Then what ahppens when VR is combined with motion controls? Even sillier gifs :laugh:

I think the tech is just that impressive that people can't really care how they look. With headset you do not feel as exposed as motion controls either. 

#26 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 23 February 2014 - 22:04

Topic cleaned

VR discussion only please.

#27 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 February 2014 - 22:31

I think the tech is just that impressive that people can't really care how they look. With headset you do not feel as exposed as motion controls either.

I think that is partially true, although we have yet to see a proper onstage demo of a VR game, so we dont really know what the reaction will be.

Eventually a VR headset will be paired with motion controls, it just makes sense that that would be the next step.

#28 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 23 February 2014 - 22:34

True, its also not something you'd wear outside. No need to wear it while going to the shops doing the weekly groceries so don't think many people will care what you look like when your wearing it as the only time you'll be wearing it is when your at home playing a VR game.

Comfort wise Sony do need to make something that people would be comfortable wearing for a few hours though.

#29 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:23

Comfort wise Sony do need to make something that people would be comfortable wearing for a few hours though.

That is a tough problem to solve.

Going back to the 3d comparison, even now that glasses are light and fairly comfortable, many people just don't like wearing them.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!