#1 SyntheticVirusZ

SyntheticVirusZ

The one The only

• 1,438 posts
  • Phone: Samsung ATIV S Neo

Posted 06 March 2014 - 16:26

Thought this was pretty cool.

http://news.msn.com/...fc-e931d9338837

The generation that once invented PacMan now runs a home for the elderly, complete with video game booths. Yet another example of Japanese video game makers moving towards an older demographic.

#2 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,793 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 06 March 2014 - 23:42

I don't think it is a big leap of reasoning to expect games to offer therapeutic benefits. It demands attention, problem solving, quick reaction times, spatial reasoning, gradual increase in difficulty, and perhaps one of the most important things, especially for seniors, is that it is social.

All of the anti-video game stigma seems to drown-out a lot of the interesting research into the positive benefits of gaming. But I suppose no moral panic or societal ill would be complete with a bogeyman to hold responsible.

#3 OP SyntheticVirusZ

SyntheticVirusZ

The one The only

• 1,438 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:11

I don't think it is a big leap of reasoning to expect games to offer therapeutic benefits. It demands attention, problem solving, quick reaction times, spatial reasoning, gradual increase in difficulty, and perhaps one of the most important things, especially for seniors, is that it is social.

All of the anti-video game stigma seems to drown-out a lot of the interesting research into the positive benefits of gaming. But I suppose no moral panic or societal ill would be complete with a bogeyman to hold responsible.

I agree.

#4 nullie

nullie

Neowinian

• 822 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:19

Video games are just a form of mind control that generally take away your time and skill development for real world tasks. As a leisure activity, when you're not going to focus on the real world, I supposed you can play them, but they aren't a substitute for other activities.

Video games are also fun for consumers because that's all they do is buy and consume things, and otherwise waste their time and lives away. 

#5 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,091 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:30

there was study about routine dosage of playing tetris could be beneficial for health.

#6 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,793 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:14

Video games are just a form of mind control that generally take away your time and skill development for real world tasks.

:\

#7 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,793 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:53

there was study about routine dosage of playing tetris could be beneficial for health.

It sure helps for when it comes moving time!

#8 OP SyntheticVirusZ

SyntheticVirusZ

The one The only

• 1,438 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 18:06

Video games are just a form of mind control that generally take away your time and skill development for real world tasks. As a leisure activity, when you're not going to focus on the real world, I supposed you can play them, but they aren't a substitute for other activities.

Video games are also fun for consumers because that's all they do is buy and consume things, and otherwise waste their time and lives away. 

...................................................................................................................

#9 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

• 10,466 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:10

Was meaning to post something about how being a gamer for thirty plus years must be good for the mind, but forgot to do it

EDIT: nullie, if you need help with getting medication for your condition let me know, i'm an expert on that too

#10 compl3x

compl3x

Space coyote

• 8,793 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 19:10

What the ###### is going on!?

#11 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• 1,563 posts
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 10 March 2014 - 19:16

^ Most things nullie posts are about mind control, but, I really wasn't expecting it in this thread  :laugh: To be fair, he is right in the sense that they can help you forget about the real-world and lifes problems for a bit. That is "mind control" in a sense right?

#12 +macoman

macoman

Neowinian

• 944 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 19:21

Remember guys that not while ago there was a study in how gaming improve the quality of your eyes.

#13 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,812 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 19:30

I think you're a form of mind control. How do you like them apples?

#14 OP SyntheticVirusZ

SyntheticVirusZ

The one The only

• 1,438 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 21:53

I think you're a form of mind control. How do you like them apples?

BOOM!

#15 RBDx3

RBDx3

Neowinian

• 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 22:13

Spelling fail.

It's "anti-aging".

Must be the effect of video games...