Ok, and? How does that have any barings on the sale numbers?

Hell, the PS4 launched with a bundle in the US (Remember the whole issue with Watch_Dogs?), it has nothing to do with how weak or strong the console is, and everything to do with making said bundle a more attractive option when you're choosing whether to buy a plain console or one that comes with a game.

Again it has nothing to do with it being a bundle, it is the free game, so when compared to the PS4 you are only paying a little more for the console plus one game as opposed to $100. 

Ha ha well some in here were still wanting Microsoft to include DRM and all the other anti consumer features in the console and were claiming the reversal had more to do with "Internet cry babies" than initial sales indicators so even if PS4 continues its 2:1 lead im sure it will be down to Microsoft not releasing the Xbox One in Zimbabwe :rolleyes: . 

I have to admit I am one of them! give me DRM over having to change disks and I am happy :)

I thought Zimbabwe was MS's strongest market!?! What are they thinking!

• Like 1

Hello,

I havent read the thread but this is talking about the Xbox TV box.

No real gaming AAA title capabilities

No controllers (a remote control to change channels, if that. Might just make it work with your smartphone thru Wi-Fi)

No Kinect

1 USB port

Ethernet and (maybe) Wi-Fi

Way less memory and a way less powerful processor (maybe even based on ARM)

No HDMI input

Anyway. I notice many have failed to address the issue with Kinect being irrelevant. It brings nothing to gaming so why should consumers pay for it? I havent seen a compelling argument from anyone. I dont think anyone knows why we need it.

• Like 2

Ha ha well some in here were still wanting Microsoft to include DRM and all the other anti consumer features in the console and were claiming the reversal had more to do with "Internet cry babies" than initial sales indicators so even if PS4 continues its 2:1 lead im sure it will be down to Microsoft not releasing the Xbox One in Zimbabwe :rolleyes: . 

Those DRM you're talking about where actually there to give us as consumers more options and freedom. but hey let's not those little facts get in the way of your revisionist history. anyway, they will come back for the digital purchases for xbox one owners, and that is a good thing. 

Anyway. I notice many have failed to address the issue with Kinect being irrelevant. It brings nothing to gaming so why should consumers pay for it? I havent seen a compelling argument from anyone. I dont think anyone knows why we need it.

I would accept its potentially not "worth" the cost it potentially brings, but I use Kinect a lot for voice commands.

I think the commands need a bit of work, things like the party chat where I would snap the chat and perhaps invite someone would take complete focus so I would have to stop playing whatever it is. If you could play and issue voice commands to a second app that would be great.

Whether that is worth the suggested $100 price tag it's believed is questionable, but I bought Kinect 1.0 and I probably would have bought it with this release had it of been an option.

If you didn't read the article, then don't post.

"stopped reading at..." might as well just come out and say you're thread crapping and save me time cleaning up the mess.

• Like 1

I've always felt kinect was not needed.  What's it used for?   Voice Commands, Skype, and Automatic Sign In?  All of which I can gladly do without.. and saving 100$? Sure.   

• Like 2

If you don't want it then you don't get it I suppose, you wait for the price to drop or for more games to come out and use it to buy in. The question of it's usefulness is up to ones individual taste. Some use it a lit for voice commands, others don't. This comes into account when you go to buy it or not.

With more games to use it that'd be great but for now its still viewed as part of the XB1 experience.

well if pachter says so, then MS is more behind the kinect than ever and this will never happen :)

Pretty much what i was thinking. Kinda hard to progress with an article after seeing the name "pachter".

• Like 1

AS with all innovations we lived just fine without it so of course we dont NEED it.  After a long time those things became a need because we got so used to it.  So do you think we shouldnt bring anything new to the table just because right now we dont need it?  Sounds like a pretty crappy future.  I myself have got addicted to the voice commands and auto logins when it sees me and i finally started making good use of gestures to navigate and really only grab my controller when i throw a game in.  Super convenient and I love it but do i NEED it? No.  I sure as hell want it though and at this point i would miss it pretty bad.

Would I have bought it without kinect for 100 dollars less? No. Eventually yes but i would have waited a year for games i actually am into.   I have a ps4 but it was a present and its collecting dust for the last few months till infamous is out.

Many also called gaming consoles irrelevant due to rise of tablets/phones until PS4/XboxOne sales brought them back into reality. Your post hits pretty much all questions such as why do we need consoles when we can just Airplay iPad games and etc.

• Like 1

For the same reason we've been hearing for 4 years now: because of its "potential." Never mind the fact that despite it being forced on consumers, gamers and developers alike still have very little interest in utilizing it.

• Like 1

For the same reason we've been hearing for 4 years now: because of its "potential." Never mind the fact that despite it being forced on consumers, gamers and developers alike still have very little interest in utilizing it.

I absolutely love peeking round walls and looking out of vehicles in BF4 using Kinect. 

No way I see this happening.  They will not fragment the market again (hard drive/no hard drive).  Releasing an xbox without kinect all but dooms anymore development (aside from first party games and stupid dance games) (Sony's Move is a perfect example, if its not in peoples homes, no one is going to develop for it).

• Like 1

Yeah, most people hate the thing. MS has to seriously consider ditching it.

I sense sarcasm.   However yea.. they should consider an Xbox SKU that's 100$ cheaper and doesn't include kinect.  

• Like 1

I sense sarcasm.   However yea.. they should consider an Xbox SKU that's 100$ cheaper and doesn't include kinect.

No sarcasm at all. I am fully aware that I'm in the minority of users that find value in the thing.

The clear majority don't want it and don't like it. How many threads across forums, blogs, posts to reddit, etc, etc, does it take to make that clear? I've seen it in this forum and in many other places.

• Like 2

No sarcasm at all. I am fully aware that I'm in the minority of users that find value in the thing.

The clear majority don't want it and don't like it. How many threads across forums, blogs, posts to reddit, etc, etc, does it take to make that clear? I've seen it in this forum and in many other places.

I think the biggest issue is that it's not a necessity.. but ends up adding extra cost. 

I think the biggest issue is that it's not a necessity.. but ends up adding extra cost.

Yep, they can either cut the price and eat the losses while still bundling Kinect, or they can ditch Kinect and drop the price as much as possible to see if that will spur more demand.

That is of course if MS is currently worried about the sales numbers.

MS wanted to make Kinect just another feature of the console, something that just added to the experience. Instead, its become a huge point of argument online and a clear reason why the majority online are not interested in an X1.

Yep, they can either cut the price and eat the losses while still bundling Kinect, or they can ditch Kinect and drop the price as much as possible to see if that will spur more demand.

That is of course if MS is currently worried about the sales numbers.

MS wanted to make Kinect just another feature of the console, something that just added to the experience. Instead, its become a huge point of argument online and a clear reason why the majority online are not interested in an X1.

Yea, it definitely becomes a balancing act.  Are people not buying the One because of the Kinect? Price? Games? It's a matter of trying to figure out what the problem (if there is one) is.

Yea, it definitely becomes a balancing act.  Are people not buying the One because of the Kinect? Price? Games? It's a matter of trying to figure out what the problem (if there is one) is.

Plus there is the whole thing about the X1 only being out in 13 regions at the moment, that can't be helping.

To many people, things have already been decided.

I doubt it would be selling so well if most people hated it. Actions speak louder than words, and its been a very successful launch.

I doubt it would be selling so well if most people hated it. Actions speak louder than words, and its been a very successful launch.

When I say hated, I was referring to Kinect, not the X1 itself. The general mood of the online community is one of complete disinterest in Kinect. Of course, there are no scientific numbers to remove any doubt, but the mood gets projected as if it is the definitive belief, so you have to accept that.

The X1 has sold great compared to last gen, its just that the ps4 has sold even greater, which makes it seem like the X1 is selling poorly. That's why I said before that we can argue about how much Kinect is worth and how much it may or may not be holding the X1 back, but we dont have all the info to make the decision.

MS is the only ones that can look at the sales figures and try to determine what needs to be done, if anything. They may look at the numbers and not be worried at all, thinking that once more games come out and they are out in more territories, sales will be steady. Maybe they are ok with the ps4 outselling them as long as the X1 is still selling ahead of last gen considering the higher price.

Or maybe they are not and they decide to lower the price just as they launch the console in more regions.