Sony?s Gone ?Back to the Drawing Board? to Make Driveclub ?Great?

??we?d be doing everyone a disservice if we shipped it before it was ready.?

by Colin Moriarty
March 10, 2014

The energy surrounding the upcoming PlayStation 4-exclusive racing game Driveclub has largely gone from excitement to skepticism. Driveclub was one of the first PlayStation 4 games revealed, and comes from Sony-owned Evolution Studio, a developer that not only understands the racing genre (it made its name on the MotorStorm franchise), but a developer that undoubtedly had very early access to PlayStation 4.

Revealed as a launch title, Driveclub was unceremoniously delayed on the eve of PS4?s western release, creating questions as to what?s going on with it. We got a chance to speak to Sony?s Scott Rohde ? one of the men in charge of Sony?s family of first party studios ? about the status of its phantom racing game.

?What I will say is that it all comes back to that fundamental principle, and that?s that we want to build great games,? Rohde said. ?And we really don?t want to release a game before it?s ready. And sometimes, this happens in the normal course of business, where we think we?re on track to deliver what we think is going to be a great game, and when we get closer, we realize that we?d be doing everyone a disservice if we shipped it before it was ready.?

?So, I think that at PlayStation, perhaps more than at other places, we?re willing to kinda eat that [cost],? Rohde continued, ?and go back to the drawing board and make sure the game is great before we ship it. And that?s what?s going on right now with that game.?

When asked about when it?ll launch, Rohde said, ?We?re not announcing any specifics on that yet.? When pressed on if it would still come out sometime in 2014, Rohde refused to say, though Sony PR stepped in to say that we?d get more details soon.

While we wait for more on Driveclub, why not read our most recent preview, and take a look at some videos and screenshots.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/10/sonyas-gone-aback-to-the-drawing-boarda-to-make-driveclub-agreata

• Like 1

Not sure how I feel about this, and whether or not the IGN title is as accurate as it sounds. I still think it's Q2/3 2014 and might be retooled for virtual reality of some sorts.

Well this sucks. This is the game (and Killzone) I bought the PS4 for this year. It's looking like 2015 at the earliest if they are going back to the drawing board. They are leaving us pretty thin for 2014. :(

• Like 2

Hey, they can take all the time they want!    Just as I am doing with buying PS4... taking time.

I do not care when it is released, I just care that amazing quality games are available.

Better late then never*

(*with exemptions like the "Duke Nukem Forever" debacle)

Not sure how I feel about this, and whether or not the IGN title is as accurate as it sounds. I still think it's Q2/3 2014 and might be retooled for virtual reality of some sorts.

I sure hope they aren't delaying it just use it as content for a VR headset.

That usually doesn't go over too well.

Not really interested in wearing something on my head. I just want to drive cars.

I've got maybe 2 more months to finish Forza 5 so hopefully another driving game can hold my interest after that.

• Like 1

Guess I am the only one that sees this as neither good or bad news.

I like what I have seen, although it has not been much, especially recently (in the last month or so).

With that said, I was not of the mindset I need to play the game ASAP.

So while I am looking forward to playing it, I am not clamoring for it, so a delay does not affect me one way or the other.

As such I say take all the time you need to get it to a kick ass state.

If they have in fact delayed it just to implement VR, well I kind of like the sound of that as well as I am no doubt also in the (what I believe to be the) minority of people who are extremely interested of what could potentially come out of the likes of Oculus Rift and Sony's implementation.

So get it right. I am all for that.

Not really interested in wearing something on my head. I just want to drive cars.

It wouldn't be mandatory you know lol.

Guess I am the only one that sees this as neither good or bad news.

I like what I have seen, although it has not been much, especially recently (in the last month or so).

With that said, I was not of the mindset I need to play the game ASAP.

So while I am looking forward to playing it, I am not clamoring for it, so a delay does not affect me one way or the other.

As such I say take all the time you need to get it to a kick ass state.

If they have in fact delayed it just to implement VR, well I kind of like the sound of that as well as I am no doubt also in the (what I believe to be the) minority of people who are extremely interested of what could potentially come out of the likes of Oculus Rift and Sony's implementation.

So get it right. I am all for that.

Im with you on this. 

Id much rather studios take the time they need and release a game that is polished and complete than release a game 12 months/6 months early that is incomplete, bug ridden and requires half a dozen day one patches. 

Delaying to implement VR is kinda lame thou, and could of easy be done via a patch.

Just FYI speculating about the delay due to VR is simply my opinion/some other nobodies opinions. There isn't even a shred of evidence to suggest it has been delayed for VR.

To expand on my original post, I believe the delay will more so be about reaching mid gen levels of content and polish, as opposed to release window. Sure 1080/60 is probably high on that list, but I'm thinking amount of tracks/cars/game modes, etc as well. Look how anaemic Forza 5 is to 4, it actually cut content as opposed to adding to 4's foundations. Nor did night racing/weather make it in when those requests were made after 4. Sometimes a delay is just better for the overall product.

Just FYI speculating about the delay due to VR is simply my opinion/some other nobodies opinions. There isn't even a shred of evidence to suggest it has been delayed for VR.

To expand on my original post, I believe the delay will more so be about reaching mid gen levels of content and polish, as opposed to release window. Sure 1080/60 is probably high on that list, but I'm thinking amount of tracks/cars/game modes, etc as well. Look how anaemic Forza 5 is to 4, it actually cut content as opposed to adding to 4's foundations. Nor did night racing/weather make it in when those requests were made after 4. Sometimes a delay is just better for the overall product.

Heaven help them if they don't hit 1080p/60

I agree.

As much as I love forza 5, I do wish it had more content.  

Hopefully, turn10 ups the ante with forza 6 and finally introduces night racing and weather effects.  And obviously, more content.  

Heaven help them if they don't hit 1080p/60

Well racing games are supposedly easier to hit that target since you can skimp on the environment outside of the tracks, as all the people are focusing on are the car and track. And if you're not a terrible driver you should be passing it too quickly to get a decent look anyways  :rofl:

Well racing games are supposedly easier to hit that target since you can skimp on the environment outside of the tracks, as all the people are focusing on are the car and track. And if you're not a terrible driver you should be passing it too quickly to get a decent look anyways  :rofl:

One thing Drive Club has going for it is it's scenery and environments - It's the one defense people had with the 1080/30. Will be interesting to see when its re-revealed if they've downgraded the scenery to hit 60FPS, if they go for 60.

Shame, was looking forward to the game, mainly because of the intricate detailing. Guess GT7 will make an appearance later in the year instead? ....

One thing Drive Club has going for it is it's scenery and environments - It's the one defense people had with the 1080/30. Will be interesting to see when its re-revealed if they've downgraded the scenery to hit 60FPS, if they go for 60.

You can still have impressive scenery in race games, however it can be lower res because you're never going to get near most of it to be able to tell. No sense making buildings/trees in the distance that you can never reach high-res.

You can still have impressive scenery in race games, however it can be lower res because you're never going to get near most of it to be able to tell. No sense making buildings/trees in the distance that you can never reach high-res.

Sure, but the 60FPS racers of last gen and even this gen don't particularly have impressive scenery. It's the biggest complaint (cardboard trees/flat surfaces/cardboard spectators).

I agree.

As much as I love forza 5, I do wish it had more content.  

Hopefully, turn10 ups the ante with forza 6 and finally introduces night racing and weather effects.  And obviously, more content.  

I think they're going to really deliver with Forza 6. Forza Horizon 2 should also be great in its own way. As for Drive Club, that was the game I was waiting for before investing in a PS4. I doubt Gran Turismo 7 will be out until 2017.

Sure, but the 60FPS racers of last gen and even this gen don't particularly have impressive scenery. It's the biggest complaint (cardboard trees/flat surfaces/cardboard spectators).

I dont think I've ever liked Spectators in any racing game, they always seem to use 2D sprites that look out of place, or static crude 3d Models. But I personally thought lots of the scenery in Gran Turismo 5 and Forza Motorsport 3/4 looked impressive.

I dont play these games, but I have seen those same complaints. My question is, do people notice the issue while playing the game, or is it only while viewing screenshots or pausing a replay?

I see people say you don't see any of this stuff while in motion, so if that is the case, its not surprising that developers would spend less performance capitol on that. Why aim to impress people in screenshots?

I dont play these games, but I have seen those same complaints. My question is, do people notice the issue while playing the game, or is it only while viewing screenshots or pausing a replay?

I see people say you don't see any of this stuff while in motion, so if that is the case, its not surprising that developers would spend less performance capitol on that. Why aim to impress people in screenshots?

You do notice it from time to time, not to mention taking screenshots of your in-game races is huge for some - See any regular GTPlanet photo competition. It breaks immersion having a highly detailed premium car with a cardboard tree and spectators in the background.

It's not an unreasonable request to expect the next iteration of consoles to improve on the scenery considering the level of details we can see cars output in GT5/6.

I'm getting very scared at all these next-gen games that have to go back to the drawing board, or are delayed to make fun and/or playable over the long run: Titan, Drive Club, Watch Dogs, etc etc.

It tells me that not only were the companies thinking they could pass the same old crap with a shiny coat, but other devs are making them step up and change their game.

Good times, I guess, but it hurts that folks were getting so sloppy.

In simulators you don't race fast enough to not notice low res environment except maybe the straights. What I want to see is some proper A.I. Too many games just repeat the same cars leading and and being last with the leader driving near perfect without fail. It just feels like I'm racing pre programmed robots, which I am of course and they always make the last AI driver so slow and crash prone that it doesn't even simulate a monkey driving a car.

I don't watch much actual racing cause it's often rather boring like Nascar..uuggghhh but I'd also like to see a game like GT use a point standings system as apposed to the 1st through 3rd place thing. In most racing games If you don't make 3rd you fail which gets old imo, why not drivers standings and also the qualifying system that determines grid order and the 6 slowest are eliminated (providing proper A.I. could be done)

Almost every racer has the 1-3rd place for just 1 race determining whether or not you win or lose, gets old quick imo.

Also, the G27 wheel and the wheel stand pro is awesome. I hope it works on PS4.