Network computers not showing up.

Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 86
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 30 March 2014 - 00:48

"The fact that the command and also the app returns an error 53 is kind of weird."

How is it weird??  They are doing the exact same thing - one is just easier for users to use... What's the saying -- doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results in the very definition of insanity..  So thinking you would get different results from the tool would be insane ;)

I have given you the documents to troubleshoot your issue, unless you let me Team Viewer in and take a look I don't know how else to help you.. Yes error 53 is broken!  Your list is not going to work if your getting error 53 ;)

C:\>net view                                                                     
Server Name            Remark                                                    

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------  
\\I5-W7                                                                          
\\STORAGE                                                                        
\\UBUNTU               ubuntu server (Samba, Ubuntu)                             
\\W81                                                                            
The command completed successfully.                                              

#32 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:47

BudMan are you available to TV in tomorrow?

#33 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:44   Best Answer

sure -- home all day.. Just PM me, happy to take a look

#34 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:14

You rock man. I'll msg you around noon EST and see when is good for you.

#35 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 April 2014 - 22:34

Seems he got it working without me having to TV in -- think it finally just clicked what the master browser stuff was ;)  Maybe the screen shot I sent him in PM showing my network and the announcements via wireshark.  Make sure you update the thread with how your now working.

I would think a lanscan showing your devices and which one is master browser would be good close to the thread..  Glad you got it sorted!!  And hopefully learned a bit in the process, even if it has been drawn out to much longer than it should of been.

#36 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 06 April 2014 - 23:21

Budman was a real help. He told me to take a look at Wireshark. It revealed that one of my OpenElec HTPC's was stealing master browser. I set the samba.conf's on both computers to say NO to anything having to do with master browser. This is what I have now:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Pat>C:\Windows\lanscan.exe

LANscanner v1.54 - ScottiesTech.Info

Scanning LAN...

Scanning workgroup: WORKGROUP...

DISKSTATION       192.168.1.10     00-11-32-0e-76-98  WORKGROUP  MASTER
OPENELEC          192.168.1.23     00-01-2e-3b-e4-af  WORKGROUP
OPENELECLR        192.168.1.3      38-60-77-61-76-09  WORKGROUP
PAT-PC            192.168.1.16     f4-6d-04-45-d5-da  WORKGROUP

Press any key to exit...
C:\Users\Pat>

#37 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:39

Just wanted to update the thread that I haven't had a single lockup on my 2 OpenElec machines since BudMan introduced me to master browser and I found out how to disable it in OE. I'm able to browse my network like normal and the network is rock solid stable. Thanks BudMan!!

#38 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 April 2014 - 12:59

Great to hear your long way to get to resources is responsive ;)  It feels good when things work - but you do understand browsing the network has nothing to do with accessing your shares and such..

It would be much more efficient to just map to your share be it a folder or drive letter, or just put a shortcut on your desktop.  Or for that matter run \\nameofcomputer ;)

But sure when you don't have boxes having elections all the time - I am the master browser, no I am your master browser, etc.  Then it does work smoother ;)

#39 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 16 June 2014 - 18:20

Hey BudMan, this problem has come up again. I have my NAS set as MB. I was having audio issues on my living room htpc so I had to install Windows and now last night I put OpenElec back on that machine and set all the master browser options to no (just like my other HTPC). It doesn't show up in explorer but I can access it by IP address. When I run Lanscan, it takes long time to run and then lists all the computers except the one in question and shows the NAS as MB as it should. Why would this machine not be showing up?

#40 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 June 2014 - 19:36

which machine is not showing up.. The OPenElec?? What workgroup is it in, what is the samba config on it?

#41 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

Posted 16 June 2014 - 19:59

All the machines are on the same workgroup. Yes, the 2nd OpenElec, The network config is static IP. I just copied the samba entries over from my other OpenElec box that does show up. It has things like master browser=no, local browser, etc.

#42 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 June 2014 - 20:04

Well give it a few minutes.. Network browsing is not instant to show up in the browse list. If after say 45 minutes its not listed, then sniff -- do you see its announcements, etc.