A new build of the April update preview has rolled out. Here's what fixed compared to the 1st April update preview build:
We have started to deploy the latest 1404 build (xb_rel_1404.140319-2200). Consoles that are in standby mode will be able to install the update starting at 6:00PM PDT on 3/21. Consoles that have not received the update in standby mode by 1:00AM PDT on 3/23 will be prompted to install the update when they connect to Xbox Live. This update will be larger than most (over 1GB). We expect that future updates for the 1404 update will be closer in size to previous updates (~600mb or smaller).
The following changes are contained within this build:
- Several fixes and tweaks to the user interface.
- Initial fixes to address audio crackling sound encountered when Dolby Digital is enabled (additional fixes are pending and will be deployed with a later build).
- A fix to address issues where game resume could fail when a console comes out of standby, causing the game to restart rather than resume from its previous state.
- Initial fixes for Blu-ray issues where the drive may not be responsive, requiring full system power down to resolve (pressing and holding the power button on the console for 5 seconds).
- Underlying OS changes required to enable planned 1404 features.
- *NEW FEATURE* Silent system update installation: Initial OS changes are present that enable consoles to take a system update overnight when in standby, and the console will now complete the installation, then boot back into standby. This feature will bypass the green installation progress bar currently seen when starting a console that needs to finish installing an update started in standby. This feature will already work with some consoles in this update!
- An issue has been identified in the current 1404 build (xb_rel_1404.140313-2200) where some consoles with wired connections aren’t taking system, app, or game updates when in standby. Consoles connected via wireless are not affected. To test the silent update with a wired connection, you can work around this issue by connecting wirelessly when putting your console in standby overnight.
- When performing the new silent system update, the following issues may be encountered:
- The Blu-ray drive may spin up during silent startup.
- The Kinect sensor may light up during silent boot.
- During shutdown from standby to install the update, the power light will flash showing that it is shutting down.
- Work is still being done to fix all Blu-ray drive issues that were introduced in 1404. There are still some instances where the Blu-ray drive may not wake up from an idle state, resulting in errors that a disc is not present. These issues should be resolved by ejecting and re-inserting the disc to wake up the drive.
- When turning off your console with the “Xbox, turn off” command, Kinect does not respond to a command of “yes” or “no”, requiring the controller or remote be used to select “yes” to turn the console off.
Reported Update Issue
We have received some reports of participants encountering an issue with installing this update. The issue being reported is that some consoles get stuck in a loop trying to install the update, or some are hanging at a black screen during the update. This issue has occurred with consoles that are configured with optical audio enabled, and is caused by an invalid audio setting being configured during the update process. If you encounter this issue, please follow the steps below as a workaround. The developers are investigating a fix for this issue occurring during system updates.
1. Unplug the network cable or disable the wireless network and start up your console.
2. If the update screen is not displaying, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable until update screen appears.
3. At update screen, select Cancel. (Cancel only appears when network is disconnected.)
4. Go to Settings > Display & Sound.
5. Switch HDMI Audio and Optical Audio to Stereo Uncompressed.
6. Plug the network cable back in, or re-enable your wireless network, and connect your console to the network.
7. The update screen should now appear and update should proceed successfully.