Windows 2008 R2 upgrade?

I run Windows 2008 SP1 32-bit server at work and some new software requires Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. Is there a special upgrade price to go from 2008 or R2 or do I have to pay full price? I've Googled and can't find an answer. Also (and I think I know the answer) can I upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit or do I have to clean install? If I have to clean install what are some things I should mark down for reference on the new install as far as domain controller settings, etc.?

2008 R2 isnt for sale anymore, afaik. You'll have to buy 2012 or 2012 R2, and use the key for the downgrade rights.

and yes, you'll need to do a clean install.

btw, 2012 R2 is like $5600

ok, i lied - 2012 R2 Essentials is $500. Datacenter is $6100.

Yeah, I didn't know 2008 wasn't for sale anymore but I did find out about 2012 after I type my message. I saw it for around $500-600 with 5 CAL. There's no special upgrade pricing from a previous version though? Also, if my hardware ran 2008 it should run 2012 no problem right?

I run Windows 2008 SP1 32-bit server at work and some new software requires Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. Is there a special upgrade price to go from 2008 or R2 or do I have to pay full price? I've Googled and can't find an answer. Also (and I think I know the answer) can I upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit or do I have to clean install? If I have to clean install what are some things I should mark down for reference on the new install as far as domain controller settings, etc.?

Server 2008 is not for sale anymore, the only legit way to get it now is thru downgrade rights: buy Server 2012 (R2 or not) and downgrade to Server 2008. Also check the CALs you need.

Also what kind of requirements do you have to still run 2008? :o

As for the hardware: see the requirements for Server 2008 R2 or Server 2012 or even R2; they are quite different, so your hardware *might* not be sufficient.

Go to eBay you can get a retail license for 2008R2 for less than $200

buying stuff from ebay for a business? no thanks! :laugh:

Actually, its easier than that... go to EBAY, find a seller with the WINDOW SERVER 2008  X64 Media. Make sure it is the same edition as you have now EG: If you have DATACENTER EDITION, make sure the one you are buying is WINDOWS SERVER 2008  DATACENTER EDITION X64. Once you get the media, backup your server if needed and do a clean install, and presto. 

EDITED

This post is "As is"

ANOTHERITGUY

I'll see if there's a compatibility checker to run on my server for 2012. I'm kind of leery of buying a license on eBay.