I need more storage space

Hey all;

I've really been out of the loop on the technology front, truth be told I got bored of it. I used to keep up to speed with what was going on, I'd be on the forums blah blah, but I got to a point where I was tired of reading the same old rubbish from people with 'opinions'. 

Anyway, this has caused me to fall behind on what's the best option.

I've currently got 3TB spread across 2 internal motor driven hard drives and 2 external USB motor driven hard drives, one of which is USB 3, but my mobo isn't compatible or something or another so there's no real benefit.

I've thought about going down the file server route, and something with hot swappable drives but thinking about it, it's really more of a cost thing, I don't want to spend a fortune on new gear.

What's the best way I could go to increase my overall capacity and maybe have some kind of redundancy plan, should a drive fail? Aim at this point would be 5TB

Cheers

i would really suggest you do it right and pony up some money for a proper product. cutting corners in the storage arena will only lead to headache.

at this point, i'd say get (2) 4TB drives and do a RAID1 in a Synology 2-bay NAS.

if you need more space, then get a 4-bay NAS.

• Like 3

HP Microserver N54L - I believe cash back is still on in the UK so you can set it up as a 4-bay NAS for around ?100. You can put a free OS on (such as FreeNAS) or go for a more fully featured one such as WS 2012R2 Essentials.

Put 2 x 3TB drives and that gives you 6TB storage, with two free bays for future expansion or redundancy.

i would really suggest you do it right and pony up some money for a proper product. cutting corners in the storage arena will only lead to headache.

at this point, i'd say get (2) 4TB drives and do a RAID1 in a Synology 2-bay NAS.

if you need more space, then get a 4-bay NAS.

Doesn't look a bad way to go. Do these work the same way as you'd map a network drive to your windows OS?

Easiest would be to buy a PCI-Express USB3 adapter - then some external drives with USB3

That would be easiest but not smartest or fastest.

OR

1 NAS with some 4TB drives in RAID 5, or 10
Or cloud storage if you have a fast connection.

I had unlimited storage through JustCloud - was storing 400GB on there but cancelled my account because restoring was just dumping to an arbitrary folder, not truly restoring per se.

Never buy anything that says HP on it... unless its a printer... never.

Easiest would be to buy a PCI-Express USB3 adapter - then some external drives with USB3

That would be easiest but not smartest or fastest.

OR

1 NAS with some 4TB drives in RAID 5, or 10

Or cloud storage if you have a fast connection.

I had unlimited storage through JustCloud - was storing 400GB on there but cancelled my account because restoring was just dumping to an arbitrary folder, not truly restoring per se.

I'm not a fan of the idea of storing data on external hardware/someone elses hardware/sensitive data. I've got gigabit ethernet through the house which is much more reliable.

Hmm... I've heard amazing things about the HP microserver.

Same here. They're pretty popular over here in the UK because of how cheap they are. They usually sell for around ?200, and you get ?100 cash back.

I had an N40L before I upgraded to the N54L - the only reason I upgraded was because it was a net cost of around ?15 to do so! The fact you put put whatever OS you want on it makes it all the more better. From Windows, to FreeNAS, to ESXi you can get it to do just about anything - and there are a lot of free options for storage too.

Same here. They're pretty popular over here in the UK because of how cheap they are. They usually sell for around ?200, and you get ?100 cash back.

I had an N40L before I upgraded to the N54L - the only reason I upgraded was because it was a net cost of around ?15 to do so! The fact you put put whatever OS you want on it makes it all the more better. From Windows, to FreeNAS, to ESXi you can get it to do just about anything - and there are a lot of free options for storage too.

Would one of these HP HS's allow me to have 4 drives in raid10 config? - I've never really taken much up about RAID controllers, I still think in IDE. LOL

Hmm... I've heard amazing things about the HP microserver.

A lot of people aren't happy with their policy to only issue firmware updates to people who have an active warranty...

Raid 1 it will not Raid 10

i love my N54L

If I added a raid controller capable of raid 10?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone use their home server for DNS and DHCP services?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone use their home server for DNS and DHCP services?

Yep. Just installed pfSense on my Microserver G8 as a VM in ESXi. Works great.

yeeep. WS2012 DHCP/DNS. Why do you ask? (curiosity aside)

yeeep. WS2012 DHCP/DNS. Why do you ask? (curiosity aside)

I've been looking at various videos on the net of sever setups and alot opt for the use of server side DNS and DHCP over router based, as they are alot more advanced and customisable, but I wondered if within the home environment if it was really that much of a benefit.

I've been looking at various videos on the net of sever setups and alot opt for the use of server side DNS and DHCP over router based, as they are alot more advanced and customisable, but I wondered if within the home environment if it was really that much of a benefit.

Depends on your needs. I run AD at home so DNS becomes a requirement. But having access to a full DNS server allows me to have a separate record for servers behind my firewall without having to do NAT loop back and other hacks.

Depends on your needs. I run AD at home so DNS becomes a requirement. But having access to a full DNS server allows me to have a separate record for servers behind my firewall without having to do NAT loop back and other hacks.

AD @ home ?   Why ?  just to mess with it or what ?

I run a Zenworks Configuration Management 11sp3 environment at home, with PXE imaging, so trying to set up DNSMasq on DD-WRT turned out to be a nightmare, as such I've elected to handle my own addressing/host records. I can micromanage my little heart out.

It does help considerably when you're working with multiple subnets as well, as routing with the tools in WS2012 is considerably easier than in DDWRT.

I use DNS just purely for easiness of not remembering IP addresses

ssh root@alex

or

ssh root@lucy

or 

ssh root@server 

:)

I've thought about going down the file server route, and something with hot swappable drives but thinking about it, it's really more of a cost thing, I don't want to spend a fortune on new gear.

HP P400's Cost as little as 20$ online and have 512MB of battery backed cache... And can do RAID 6 with up to 8 HDDs

djcESoC.jpg

SAS > SATA cables are similarly inexpensive

You'd pay thousands for a solution like this from synoligy or qnap... No brainer;

If you need more than 8 drives you can team a HP P800 with one or more MSA60 sas expanders and get 12-64 bays. They go for 100$ online but are noisy...