Bookmarks - Are They Needed?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,780 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:06

So since I can remember, since I started using computers I have kept Bookmarks in my browser. I still do.

I just cleaned up my bookmarks, removing all kinds. Though, I feel like people don't use it anymore, is that true? Do we need to keep track of websites, or can we just always find what need to?

I know I use maybe 5 in total often, the others are, maybe I might need it one day bookmarks. Yet, I still don't feel like I should get rid of the rest.

What do you guys do, how do you manage bookmarks, or manage not having bookmarks?

#2 Circaflex

Circaflex

Neowinian Senior

• 4,707 posts
  • Phone: hammerhead

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:11

i bookmark my frequent websites just for ease of middle clicking them in the morning, everything else is easily available via google/bing

#3 Sammyinnit

Sammyinnit

Neowinian

• 1,167 posts
  • Phone: HTC EVO 3D/Google-Asus Nexus 7 2nd Gen Tablet

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:20

I always use bookmarks on pages of reference/interest and call them up frequently. So yeah, I'd say it's a pretty well used feature still, considering the mountains of crap the internet is flooded with these days.

#4 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

• 651 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:25

I think the idea and system of bookmarks could be improved upon...well actually it already has been improved upon by many people providing third-party browser extensions. The basic system of bookmarking that many browsers use feels dated and cumbersome to use. I think if nothing else, it would be nice to have priorities assigned to pages that I want to visit later. For example, if I opened a long news article and I decide I don't have time to read it now and I want to read it the next time I open my brower, i can assign it high priority, so next time I open my broswer a tab atuomatically opens for that article I saved.

My point is that I think bookmarks should be more interactive and dynamic, instead of just a list of saved links. I am lacking on ideas on how to make bookmarks better though.

#5 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,780 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:26

Well that is more like Pocket. Which is why I asked the question, maybe Pocket and services like this is all we need? Feels messy to me though.

I think the idea and system of bookmarks could be improved upon...well actually it already has been improved upon by many people providing third-party browser extensions. The basic system of bookmarking that many browsers use feels dated and cumbersome to use. I think if nothing else, it would be nice to have priorities assigned to pages that I want to visit later. For example, if I opened a long news article and I decide I don't have time to read it now and I want to read it the next time I open my brower, i can assign it high priority, so next time I open my broswer a tab atuomatically opens for that article I saved.

My point is bookmarks should be more interactive and dynamic, instead of just a list of saved links.

#6 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• 2,907 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:26

I still use bookmarks to organize all of my favorite sites and stuff I want to come back to later. I have a lot of sites I keep track of though.

W4adNyZ.jpg

#7 Sammyinnit

Sammyinnit

Neowinian

• 1,167 posts
  • Phone: HTC EVO 3D/Google-Asus Nexus 7 2nd Gen Tablet

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:31

My point is that I think bookmarks should be more interactive and dynamic, instead of just a list of saved links. I am lacking on ideas on how to make bookmarks better though.

I still use bookmarks to organize all of my favorite sites and stuff I want to come back to later. I have a lot of sites I keep track of though.

W4adNyZ.jpg

What's bloated, dated or cumbersome about that?

Simple and functional.

As for your opening your browser to past pages, most browsers do that now. Chrome allows you to share history and favourites across any device you use with chrome. Eg, I'm reading an article on my mobile, I get home and go to my PC and it's in my history and shared pages waiting for me.

#8 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,196 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:36

Yes, i have many many pages bookmarked and sorted in to categories.

#9 Liana

Liana

Tech Girl

• 651 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:02

What's bloated, dated or cumbersome about that?

Simple and functional.

As for your opening your browser to past pages, most browsers do that now. Chrome allows you to share history and favourites across any device you use with chrome. Eg, I'm reading an article on my mobile, I get home and go to my PC and it's in my history and shared pages waiting for me.

It's just not the way I always interact with pages that I want to revisit or be reminded about. I have a long list of outdated and broken bookmarks that I need to clean up, and often times I lose interest in pages I bookmark after a certain period of time has passed, so it would be nice if I could set them to expire or something instead of me having to go in and manually delete them. Don't get me wrong, bookmarks are functional and useful and I use them, but I want different bookmarks to behave in different ways. I want more options. In fact, I'm going to look for a Firefox extension now to make my bookmarks more functional. :)

As for that feature in Chrome, that's neat. I don't use Chrome so I wasn't aware of it.

#10 Xahid

Xahid

Anokha Neowinian

• 6,058 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 06:08

Bookmark is the most important feature for me, you can't memorise all address of the pages(interested) , which you want to visit later.

#11 Turk.

Turk.

Neowinian

• 581 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:22

I only bookmarked "Babes" from Neowin, in order to access them directly, instantly. :)
mj3dr4.jpg

#12 OP +bman

bman

Neowinian Senior

• 4,780 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 14:12

lol I guess I am not the only one.

Something about it these days though bothers me. Maybe, I am really just crazy lol

#13 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 5,064 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 29 March 2014 - 14:26

Ugh can't imagine trying to remember all the URL's I frequent.. top few sure, but I've got dozens bookmarked.. reference sites and such especially. Extra convenient as I've got Firefox syncing to all my desktops and devices, set it once and done.

It's just not the way I always interact with pages that I want to revisit or be reminded about. I have a long list of outdated and broken bookmarks that I need to clean up, and often times I lose interest in pages I bookmark after a certain period of time has passed, so it would be nice if I could set them to expire or something instead of me having to go in and manually delete them.

That's not a bad idea.. I've seen extensions to find dead ones for you and (depending on the browser) you can flag them with keywords and tags and such, but setting some sort of expiration.. that could be useful occasionally.

#14 NightScreams

NightScreams

Neowinian

• 281 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 14:32

I like Safari's "reading lists" which is kinda like a temporary bookmark. Otherwise I love bookmarks and keep them all organized within folders. Like with web forums such as here, I have a folder named "forums" and so on. 

#15 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,769 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 14:32

I've got my bookmarks toolbar in Firefox, but I probably use only 3 or 4 of those bookmarks on a regular basis. The rest of the time I either know the URL or I go to Google and search.

However, I also have Stumbleupon installed, and there are times where it will take me to something and I will think, "that's interesting but I'm not in the mood at the moment." In those cases I bookmark the page and maybe look at it later.

I'm not sure if I would notice if they were removed, but at the same time they don't have a negative impact on anything so why not just keep them?