Why does my Windows 8.1 feel slow at times?

Norton isnt doing to bad on performance since they started using the Windows API's for AV properly.

Besides you can disable it for a while, have a few reboots and see if it improves.

Also MSE/WD is only good when you keep your OS and all the software up to date. Many viruses detected by others and not by MSE, can't harm you if you have the rest of your system well in order. Part of why MSE is rather light weight is not carrying definitions for issues that have been patched.

Use it in combination with EMET and there's very little that can harm your system.

If you want to remove the mechanical bottleneck, buy an SSD and install your OS onto it.

Even if you're on 15k SAS's in STRIPE with a dedicated controller, mechanical physics has a limit.

I checked the HDD Health and it's good to go apparently.  Maybe later on i'll buy an SSD to load the OS on and other files on another drive.  

It seems to be doing alot faster boot up wise today, get to the desktop, open chrome or outlook and it's fast again.  

lol, yeah I would think Norton is the problem. IMO Norton itself is a virus. Worst antivirus ever.

Since 1995 I've only gotten 2 minor viruses, and for one I was running Norton at the time.

Definitely haven't gotten one since Ive been using MSE/Windows Defender.

Plus for quite a few years Ive been running Malwarebytes Antmalware PRO realtime scanning..

I used Norton for 5 years and never had a virus. I currently use the Paid Bitdefender.

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-8/novdec-2013/