Photo

Thinking of getting a 360. Best deals and what should I know?

xbox 360 microsoft fable gears of war halo

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 bithush

bithush

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2014 - 15:34

So I am thinking of finally picking up a 360 to play some of the exclusives I missed out on being a PS3 gamer.

Just wondering what some of the best deals around at the moment are (in the UK)?

Also is there any "extras" I should know to get the best experience?

For games I plan on getting the obvious ones such as Halo, Fable, Gears of War and Forza as well as some FPS games as I never really enjoyed any on the PS3 (for some reason the controller layout being symmetrical feels off to me whereas the 360 controller is quite nice). Obviously CoD and BF are the two big ones but which is the "best" out of all of the available ones? Modern Warfare, Ghosts, Black Ops, etc?

#2 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 April 2014 - 15:47

Obviously CoD and BF are the two big ones but which is the "best" out of all of the available ones? Modern Warfare, Ghosts, Black Ops, etc?

other die hards may disagree,but I think ghosts is the best. its just a more refined game,in my opinion.(talking multiplayer here,dont care much for the campaign).

#3 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 11 April 2014 - 15:50

There are some things to think about.

Do not get the 4GB model (this will be a headache if you plan on installing games to the HDD)

Buy the 250GB model

Do/Don't you want Kinect

Buy a model that comes with the 2free games.  This won't change the price of the system

Mass Effect Trilogy

Halo Series

New Tomb Raider

GTA V

Gears of War Series (not Judgment though)

Alan Wake

Geometry Wars (trust me on this one)

Castle Crashers

Edit: If you want more JRPG's.  Theres: Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey (both great games)

#4 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 April 2014 - 15:56

Do not get the 4GB model (this will be a headache if you plan on installing games to the HDD)

also,some games require a real xbox360 hard drive(no internal memory or usb) before being able to play,such as bf4 and titanfall.

#5 Thief000

Thief000

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:07

I seriously don't understand why MS still pushes that low 4GB model at retail. Sure it's cheaper than one with a hard drive, but the 4GB is an add-on module on the motherboard and 32GB flash chips (the current limit for USB drives on Xbox 360) are very cheap these days and could be put on the very same module and thus add a lot more base capacity and also allow installations for some games.

Is it that they want people that want more out of their box to buy a hard drive? (rhetorical)

Same thing with the hard drives still being only 320GB at maximum. I can fill up 2.5 hard drives of that size with my current games collection and FATx can go much larger than that.

Original Xbox backwards compatibility also requires a hard drive (a no cheap knock off without the BC partition either).

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:10

For games I plan on getting the obvious ones such as Halo, Fable, Gears of War and Forza as well as some FPS games as I never really enjoyed any on the PS3 (for some reason the controller layout being symmetrical feels off to me whereas the 360 controller is quite nice). Obviously CoD and BF are the two big ones but which is the "best" out of all of the available ones? Modern Warfare, Ghosts, Black Ops, etc?

Mass Effect

Boarderlands

Fallout

Syrim

Assassins Creed

Tomb Raider

Far Cry

#7 OP bithush

bithush

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:47

Thanks for the replies so far! Will be getting the 250GB model for sure. The latest model is the E yes? It replaced the S model last year if I am correct? Am I right in assuming that the RROD is no longer an issue with these newer model consoles?

As for accessories I would be getting a play and charge kit (the one that comes with the slightly different controller) and a years Xbox Live Gold.

For games my list so far is ... Halo games, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, The Orange Box, CoD Ghosts, Black Ops 1 and 2, Borderlands 1 and 2, Fable games, Gears of War games, Forza 4 and Horizons, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect trilogy, Assassins Creed games, Battlefield 4, GTA 5, Dead Space trilogy and Bioshock trilogy.

#8 OP bithush

bithush

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2014 - 16:51

This is the controller with play and charge kit I mentioned. How is the twist d-pad? I used a 360 controller when it first came out and the d-pad was pretty awful so would be nice if they fixed that! http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZYJO6Q/

Are there any other accessories that are worthwhile getting?

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 11 April 2014 - 17:16

This is the controller with play and charge kit I mentioned. How is the twist d-pad? I used a 360 controller when it first came out and the d-pad was pretty awful so would be nice if they fixed that! http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZYJO6Q/

Are there any other accessories that are worthwhile getting?

The twist dpad is nice but doesn't fix everything wrong with it. From the games you've listed it won't really be a disadvantage or benefit either way, it's only noticable with fighting games. The ones you've listed use the dpad mostly for item switching so quick presses only :)

#10 Defiantly

Defiantly

In Capsa Vino Veritas!

• Phone: IPhone 5S

Posted 11 April 2014 - 17:24

Get the 360.  It's a great platform and will be for quite some time.

Also, get yourself a Gamefly subscription.  That way you can try/play as many games as you want.

#11 OP bithush

bithush

Neowinian

Posted 11 April 2014 - 17:52

The twist dpad is nice but doesn't fix everything wrong with it. From the games you've listed it won't really be a disadvantage or benefit either way, it's only noticable with fighting games. The ones you've listed use the dpad mostly for item switching so quick presses only :)

Yeah it won't really be an issue for me, at least not at the moment.

Get the 360.  It's a great platform and will be for quite some time.

Also, get yourself a Gamefly subscription.  That way you can try/play as many games as you want.

Yeah I actually had a 360 at launch but it RROD within a week, got a replacement and that RROD after a few weeks too so I got my third replacement and stuck it on eBay before I even opened the box and bought a PS3 instead. Turned out quite good as I feel the PS3 had better exclusives in the end. So now I want my 360 fix that I never got!

#12 Defiantly

Defiantly

In Capsa Vino Veritas!

• Phone: IPhone 5S

Posted 11 April 2014 - 18:55

Yeah it won't really be an issue for me, at least not at the moment.

Yeah I actually had a 360 at launch but it RROD within a week, got a replacement and that RROD after a few weeks too so I got my third replacement and stuck it on eBay before I even opened the box and bought a PS3 instead. Turned out quite good as I feel the PS3 had better exclusives in the end. So now I want my 360 fix that I never got!

Good time to re-enter the xbox franshise then!  RRODS are really a thing of the past.  Just make sure to buy new.  The newest models are smaller and dead quiet.  Love mine.

#13 Dale-Kurt Murray

Dale-Kurt Murray

Neowinian

• Phone: Apple iPhone 5

Posted 12 April 2014 - 13:55

Happy to know that I'm not the only person who thinks this is a good time to get an Xbox 360. I had this debate with myself for many weeks before purchasing the Xbox 360 S, for awhile the Xbox 360 E was on my wishlist. With the lack of an optical audio port, one less USB port, a cheaper optical drive and casing with no savings passed on to the consumer I decided against it. You can read more about my decision to purchase the Xbox 360 here

I bought a Xbox 360 S bundle with Fable III and Halo Reach for $249.99 on eBay

My Xbox 360 Game List:

• Battlefield 4 (I own this)
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (I own this)
  • Gears of War 3 (I own this)
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Forza 4
  • Watch Dogs (Not Yet Released)
  • Titanfall
  • Skyrim (I own this)
  • Oblivion
  • Grant Theft Auto V
  • Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
  • Fifa 2014
  • NBA 2014
  • Mirrors Edge
  • Mass Effect Trilogy
  • Borderlands
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order (Not Yet Released) 
  • Diablo III
  • Orangebox
  • Halo 4
  • Dishonored (I own this)

#14 Dale-Kurt Murray

Dale-Kurt Murray

Neowinian

• Phone: Apple iPhone 5

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:00

Thanks for the replies so far! Will be getting the 250GB model for sure. The latest model is the E yes? It replaced the S model last year if I am correct? Am I right in assuming that the RROD is no longer an issue with these newer model consoles?

As for accessories I would be getting a play and charge kit (the one that comes with the slightly different controller) and a years Xbox Live Gold.

For games my list so far is ... Halo games, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, The Orange Box, CoD Ghosts, Black Ops 1 and 2, Borderlands 1 and 2, Fable games, Gears of War games, Forza 4 and Horizons, Tomb Raider, Mass Effect trilogy, Assassins Creed games, Battlefield 4, GTA 5, Dead Space trilogy and Bioshock trilogy.

I recommend getting the Xbox 360 Slim or commonly known as the 'S'. The latest release of the Xbox 360 is the 'E' which has removed and replaced a few components without any savings to the consumer. Find an inexpensive Xbox 360 S bundle on eBay for around $249.99, I purchased one a couple weeks ago. The power supply unit was bad and the eBay seller send a replacement the next day.

#15 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 April 2014 - 14:03

Make sure you get the latest model.