Dealing with massive projects under distributed version control (Git, Mercurial, etc...)

Question

Hi,

I have plenty of experience with SVN and also Git has quickly become my latest favorite. I really like how git stores all its references under a single .git directory. But the major downside is when I am working with an extremely large project. There are some opensource projects on Github that are up to 5 GB or even more in total file size.

Is switching to SVN the only option? Or Git already has something in place to deal with this massive project size issue?

2 answers to this question

Have you considered TFS? MS have codeplex for opensource projects or Visual Studio online for close source.

You don't need to use Visual Studio with these either and they have a mac client for checking in your code.

You could run git-gc or go through the local copy of a repository via a script to remove large files throughout the revision history. The thing is, this is most likely an issue with the developer usage of git itself: people are probability committing binaries and intermediate files when they shouldn't be.