Linux flo - Development Thread

Hey Neowinians, 

So as I posted in the thread "Fusion OS - What Happened", I have been thinking about working on a new Linux project but taking a less ambitious stance to it compared to last time. Fusion OS had good goals and I think a lot of what you see will reflect that, however, this project does not aim to become an entire OS. This project is a series of applications that I (and the community) feel need attention. My ultimate goal is to be able to replace most system apps with ones from this project, providing a consistent (in both function and design) user experience for the user. So how am I going to do this?

1. One big problem with Fusion OS was web presence, the website was either not up, incomplete or was not utilized. So how will this be fixed this time around? The way I have come up with to solve this is to make sure all the websites are created and in a state where they can be used before I even start the development phase of the project. A big problem last time was we had a semi-working bug tracker/ticketing system that was not utilized and also we had a project manager that no one on the team used because it was never completed. So, to solve this the website will be done first. (and it is almost completed) Below is an image of the homepage currently.

Website_Preview.png

2. We will have a working forum to serve as a place to share ideas, create community, report bugs and to provide support for the project. I think this is imperative for a successful project. Without community, we have nothing. There is no project without users. Below is an image of the forum as it sits right now, I am taking plenty of time to theme it to match the main site and also anyone can login with Google, Twitter or Facebook accounts for convenience. ALSO both the forums and the main website are themed using Bootstrap, so they are 100% fluid.

Community_Preview.png

3. The applications. My first goal for this project is to narrow it down to a couple apps that need attention, I stated before I was going to start with the Settings application, a web browser, and a file browser. This can change but I am going to come up with the concepts and take feedback before coding starts. This will be very much a project of see what works and then improve on it even more. Below is a concept of the settings application.

Flo_Settings.png

4. The last thing I have to share at the moment is that you may have noticed the button on the top-left corner of the title bar. I want to consilidate all of the file, edit, view, etc. menus into one button on the top. Think the FireFox button or the File button on MS Ribbon. I also want to change the names, why still are we calling these menus, File, Edit, View, Options. Just because its not broken doesn't mean it doesn't need fixed. My proposal would be to name them something a bit more descriptive of what is contained within the sub-menus. Attached below is an idea of what I mean and also a Note app :)

Flo_Menu.png

Finally, things to note:

- This is an attempt to create a consistent, coherent, and modern interpretation of Linux. (I know there will be comparisions to MS Modern (Metro) and the Flat trend)

- The name is Linux flo (pronounced 'flow') simply because the interface should flow from one instance to the next without interruption.

- Currently I am using the "Ubuntu Light" font but this is subject to change if something better comes along.

- If anyone is interested in helping with this project or with the websites PLEASE let me know!!

- COMMENT any suggestions or ideas you want to see in this project, I want feedback! :)

PS: An icon set will be essential to this project, the icons you see above are made from a combination of my work and the open source icon framework called IonIcons.

Thanks for reading and please look out for more,

Keith (RKWJ25)

• Like 2

I do like the idea ! I also like how you are inspired in some way by Windows 8 and OSX. The melting of both is quite nice. Still think that it would need a lot of polish. I don't think that you should use as much different colours for icons as it really look a bit toyish.... But that is a personal taste. I think that Linux as yet to see a really coherent UI that flow into the whole experience. (Don't tell me Ubuntu does, because it does not) :P

Anyway, cool project !

Hope to see it evolve ! :)

I do like the idea ! I also like how you are inspired in some way by Windows 8 and OSX. The melting of both is quite nice. Still think that it would need a lot of polish. I don't think that you should use as much different colours for icons as it really look a bit toyish.... But that is a personal taste. I think that Linux as yet to see a really coherent UI that flow into the whole experience. (Don't tell me Ubuntu does, because it does not) :p

Anyway, cool project !

Hope to see it evolve ! :)

Tone down the colors -- noted! :)  Will keep this in mind and see what others think as well.

The sad truth is that there are WAY too many Linux distros out there. This will just be another one lost in the sea.

The best thing you could do is add contribution to the ReactOS project. Even though it started in 1998 and has stalled several times, I think if a finished polished product is released, it could potentially dominate.

Good luck!

The sad truth is that there are WAY too many Linux distros out there. This will just be another one lost in the sea.The best thing you could do is add contribution to the ReactOS project. Even though it started in 1998 and has stalled several times, I think if a finished polished product is released, it could potentially dominate.Good luck!

Thanks! The goal of this project is for the apps and icons and all to work with multiple distros, this is not an operating system. It is a project that could work across many distros.

Quick update, I am going to post the updated version of the settings app and a shot of the file browser as well early tomorrow. The websites are about 85% complete and I am hoping to be mostly done with them by tomorrow evening and share the links here for feedback. The main thing i am still working on at the moment is a support/bug tracking platform for the project's website. Is there any feedback or constructive criticism anyone can offer from the original post before I post up an update tomorrow?

[uPDATE]

So, the website is still not quite done but is almost complete!! The homepage, forums, bug tracker, QnA are all completed. The only thing left to do is add content to pages such as Support/Contact, Download, About and Blog. I will doing this over the next few days and then the site will be ready to go! So not too much longer. I do apologize I have been fighting bronchitis and a sinus infection for the past week  :s

I will post a couple of new ideas below: These are the shots for the browser, file browser and and updated settings app. Let me know some feedback, are the colors OK for the settings or does it still need tweaking?

Flo_SettingsCopy.png

File_Browser.png

Webbrowser-1.png

Thanks guys!

looks good, are you forking old apps?

also what distro are you working on?

looks good, are you forking old apps?

also what distro are you working on?

Thanks Haggis! I will be working on Ubunutu. Yes, I am going to fork some Gnome system apps, like settings for the settings app and also the file browser, but possibly and older version. I am thinking right now that I will use chromium as the base for the web browser but I haven't fully decided on that. If anyone wants to weigh in that would be great!

I am currently working on an idea for the DE, this would be very far down the road but I wanted to throw something together quickly. My question is, should I try to have a balance between flat and gradients or should it be completely flat? I will attach two versions below. The second thing I want to point out with these it they are by no means final or done, just an idea. Also, yes they are similar to Windows but not the same. I strongly believe one task/menu bar is the way to go and windows has the best implementation of this so that is the inspiration. I will merge Linux elements from Gnome into it but you can only change a taskbar so much. There needs to be some degree of familiarity. 

Desktop-Flat.png

Desktop-Gradient.png

The Go button will serve as the app launcher and will not be as clunky, or over-crowded as the gnome shell one, it will simply display your applications as simply as possible. And the account picture on the right is called the "Me Menu" and will display notification, functions(wireless, volume, etc.), and power options.

I'm sorry, but I don't quite get what this is about. Is it a new Linux distro or just a skin/theme/icon pack/etc.? If it's not a distro, then I would strongly recommend you to get in touch with the guys that are working on Elementary OS. This is, by far (in my opinion, of course), the best Linux distro to date, and they're working hard on Isis, so they might just use you. :) If what you're talking about IS a new distro, then good luck, I will be one of the first to try it. :)

I'm sorry, but I don't quite get what this is about. Is it a new Linux distro or just a skin/theme/icon pack/etc.? If it's not a distro, then I would strongly recommend you to get in touch with the guys that are working on Elementary OS. This is, by far (in my opinion, of course), the best Linux distro to date, and they're working hard on Isis, so they might just use you. :) If what you're talking about IS a new distro, then good luck, I will be one of the first to try it. :)

It is not exactly a distro, it is a set of packages, similar to Gnome. It will not be a full DE replacement though. The above was just an idea for the future. Linux flo will replace system apps such as gnome-settings, the web browser, the file browser to make it consistent, work together and one unified UI. There will also be a theme because it will need extensive work to make the drop down menus work with the window manager and the theme. 

The first one I will be working on is the settings app. Also I think elementary is a great project! I just don't think our visions for the UI are headed in the same direction :)

Quoting for emphasis

Quoting for emphasis

No one can understand what the project is? We will work through apps we choose one by one simplifying them, the key is to make Linux easy and understandable by most people. So, we will be forking the apps we choose which right now are the Settings app, Web browser, and File Browser. We user our own design guidelines to make all of the applications consistent. Also a theme will be essential to this project, so there will be new icons and a window theme.

I know, I am going to contact the hosting company because I have been having numerous problems. It's impossible to get the site done if they can't keep it up. I'll post here what I find out.

Regarding your last question, I think the purely flat theme looks better than the mixed flat-plus-gradient.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Guys~

I am so sorry for the lack of updates and what not over the past two months. I should have made a post explaining what was going on. Unfortunately my great grandmother passed away last month... I had to make some trips home and take off work, so as you can understand that set me back quite a bit. Around the same time I was taking finals and was just so overwhelmed with all that was going on. 

Moving forward, now I am free for the next two months and I plan to put my energy towards this project. I am going to be finishing all the web related items this week. I have been thinking long and hard about what the primary focus and goal should be for this project. I think when I take it down to its simplest point its easy: make Linux beautiful.

We all want to use a system that is elegant, and easy to look at and unfortunately I think most would agree that Linux is lacking good options in this area. I think will be done is to start this project as a set of design guidelines, icons and a theme. This should also be distro-agnostic. (i.e. not just for Ubuntu) This design language will bring Linux up to speed with modern computing user experiences. We will trending toward the flat look with color blending, token icons, and focus on typography as well. One thing is we are not going to be "a copy of Metro" just because it is a flat design. I want to merge the best elements from existing UX designs and then incorporate more as the community suggests (majority rules  :)).

SO, I think the starting point is icons, unless anyone else would have a better idea~ My thought is to use the great set of open source ion Icons (which is mainly for mobile) and adapt them into a square or tile based icon set similar to the icons within the mock-ups I have shown previously. Whatever icons need to be created that aren't included in the set I will add to make the icon set as expansive as possible. Phew, I know that was kind of long but thanks for sticking through to the end. I hope I can support from the Neowin community as I move forward with this project. 

Let's make Linux BEAUTIFUL.  :D

- RKWJ25