• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 April 2014 - 17:48

Makes sense to download a patched install vs install from the disc then download the patch. Which do you think would take longer?

With the patches already there overwriting the old data, no need to waste time and power installing it only to overwrite it later once the patch is downloaded. Yes they prolly could skip the patched section from the disc but that would take an updated installer which would come from online in any case.

#17 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:17

hmm.. seems stupid to me to ignore the disk with the majority of the data and download the whole thing.  I am not going to unplug my ethernet everytime I need to install a game.  oh well.

Yeah as Roger said they are trying to do the right thing and give us the most up to date version of the files(s) available, rather then use the original verison, then slow us down by looking for inevitable updates. The intention is good, the result may be problematic. As Roger also said, it would require a much smarter algorithm and therefore more processing power and bandwidth to create a really intelligent installer that would know which files to get from the disc and which to get online. Since their intention is to eventually go all live anyway, i would not expect too much investment in disc installers. As long as we can keep playing in the event of internet outage, i'm fine. Not in a rush to play any game, can always go make dinner or take a nap or something while it downloads, which doesn't seem to take very long. On both PS4 and X1 downloads are literally supercharged compared to PS3/360.

#18 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:25

I'm not sure it really does cut down on bandwidth, not unless patches have reached 40 GB :laugh:

It'd make more sense to install from disc and then download a patch (1 GB for BF4 etc). Dead Rising 3's patch was so large because it included the DLC whether you owned it or not to maintain compatibility in co-op. Not a regular occurrence and I doubt we'll see many devs repeat it.

#19 neoadorable

neoadorable

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:56

Even Forza 5 just had a 1.6GB update for Long Beach, which is substantial. But certainly not in the dozens of GB range, not yet. Not for a while!

Guess it's all part of the push for online-only, unless patched in later firmware i suppose that's how it will keep working - if you want to install from the disc only, then the console will need to be fully offline.