Stream movies from home PC to remote PC?

Question

Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

Plex didn't work and I couldn't get VLC sorted.

Any other options you guys can suggest?

12 answers to this question

Xbmc

What setups did you use for VLC and Plex? VLC should always work with UDP streaming out of your network, you shouldn't get any problems.

What setups did you use for VLC and Plex? VLC should always work with UDP streaming out of your network, you shouldn't get any problems.

Can't remember with VLC and myPlex kept saying "There was a problem connecting your server", even though my home PC has DMZ.

Can't remember with VLC and myPlex kept saying "There was a problem connecting your server", even though my home PC has DMZ.

Can you ping the PC on your WAN IP? If not, there's something up with the DMZ.

Can you ping the PC on your WAN IP? If not, there's something up with the DMZ.

No idea.

How do I do that?

Isn't WAN "Wireless Area Network"? Both systems are connected via. LAN cable to their respective routers.

Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.

Plex didn't work and I couldn't get VLC sorted.

Any other options you guys can suggest?

What is the issue with Plex?

if all fails, you can login to plex and use the html webpage to browse and play from there...

No idea.

How do I do that?

Isn't WAN "Wireless Area Network"? Both systems are connected via. LAN cable to their respective routers.

On the PC with the server, do a simple "Whats My IP" in google and from the client, try and ping it. If this works, your connectivity is fine. If not, there's something up with the DMZ which is causing VLC/Plex to fail.

No idea.

How do I do that?

No, that's WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network). WAN is Wide Area Network, aka the connection from your router to your ISP.

Did you set up the DMZ on the router?

No, that's WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network). WAN is Wide Area Network, aka the connection from your router to your ISP.

Did you set up the DMZ on the router?

Yes, DMZ is set up on the home router for my home PC.

On the PC with the server, do a simple "Whats My IP" in google and from the client, try and ping it. If this works, your connectivity is fine. If not, there's something up with the DMZ which is causing VLC/Plex to fail.

Request times out.

Request times out.

Seems like the DMZ isn't working right. When you set it up with your PC's IP, did you assign your PC a static IP and then used that in your DMZ? If it is dynamic, your IP lease may of expired and been given a new IP from DHCP.