It just occurred to me this morning and I hadn't read anything about it.  Is Cortana an extension of what they've done with Kinect or will Cortana influence and improve voice recognition on the Xbox One in the future?

Everyone guesses that it will be integrated one day into windows and xbox. the problem is the integration in the system behaviour and task. I guess that is not easily done. Also cortana needs a lot of work in voice recognition and general understanding of "the question".

Siri is so much further with this

Siri is so much further with this

Every single article I've read says that Cortana blows Siri out of the water and is still new and will get better.  Supposedly Siri will be getting an upgrade with iOS 8, but as things stand now Siri is in last place with Cortana and Google Now battling for first.

I think Cortana will be defiantly xbox part in the near future :) And how cool it would be to speak natural language with xbox than it is now :) 

Every single article I've read says that Cortana blows Siri out of the water and is still new and will get better.  Supposedly Siri will be getting an upgrade with iOS 8, but as things stand now Siri is in last place with Cortana and Google Now battling for first.

A quick Google Search shows me that while Cortana is off to a very good start, it is not blowing away any of the competition just yet. I think a whole lot depends on where you are getting your information.

CNET

The verdict (for now)
Cortana may not be the game-changer that Microsoft hopes it to be -- at least not at this stage -- but the voice assistant more than holds it own against it chief rivals Siri and Google Now. Microsoft is on the right track in letting developers connect it with third-party apps, but also needs to fix certain glaring holes, like Cortana's ability to recognize spoken punctuation.

Quibbles aside, Cortana is off to a strong start; now it's up to Microsoft to develop a range of truly innovative features that will push Cortana beyond Apple and Google's reach.

PC World

This isn't the final word on the subject; all three services will continue to evolve, and improve. And all three have unique talents, providing intriguing directions for differentiation. For now, Google Now sets the bar for what a digital assistant should be, and based on our tests, it's still the superior service. Microsoft?s Cortana makes a valiant effort, but it needs to shore up some of its weaknesses, such as Facebook and Twitter integration. And quite frankly, if Apple built in some predictive capabilities into Siri, Siri could retake the lead.

Gizmodo

Of course Cortana has a few of her own special tricks Google Now and Siri can't pull off, but all three cyber-assistants are mostly neck-and-neck. Now it's just a race to see who can take control of the rest of your life first.

Yep that would be amazing, I'm so fed up of Xbox, redeem a code... Xbox claim a code... Xbox let me use this damn code!!! because I never remember "use a code".

A quick Google Search shows me that while Cortana is off to a very good start, it is not blowing away any of the competition just yet. I think a whole lot depends on where you are getting your information.

CNET

PC World

Gizmodo

Well, I didn't say competition, I meant Siri specifically.  Cotana is much closer to Google Now than Siri.  I had seen 2 of those 3 articles and it seemed to me that for a service just released (especially one that "learns" as it matures) it's got a great start vs Google Now.

Well, I didn't say competition, I meant Siri specifically.  Cotana is much closer to Google Now than Siri.  I had seen 2 of those 3 articles and it seemed to me that for a service just released (especially one that "learns" as it matures) it's got a great start vs Google Now.

I have been using siri and google now. I cant see where cortana would be anywhere close to them. At this stage at least it is not. starting with the understanding of what I am actually saying compared to siri and the facts that google now presents you by analysing your behaviour etc.

I have been using siri and google now. I cant see where cortana would be anywhere close to them. At this stage at least it is not. starting with the understanding of what I am actually saying compared to siri and the facts that google now presents you by analysing your behaviour etc.

Look at the articles Dirty Larry posted and quoted.  They all say that Cortana holds her own against both Google and Siri.

Edit: This is getting off-topic though.  Let's concentrate on Cortana and Xbox One.

Cortana is coming to the Xbox One as it is an advanced tool for Bing search and will expand upon its functionality in the Xbox One as well working in tandem with Kinect.

With the Xbox One hardware being able to scale upwards and very likely being used in the next iteration, so work done now will also apply to that one, it's very much a certainty that this will come.

Don't expect it this year though, it will be next year at the earliest.

Cortana will definitely come to the Xbox.

I'm pretty sure this was mentioned during BUILD.

Its the perfect place to bring Cortana. You have a console where everyone has access to pretty darn good mic hardware. Voice commands are already nice, but have plenty of room to improve and expand. Cortana is the natural next step. Think of being able to speak to the X1 with a normal voice, not being restricted to certain phrases that have been hard coded into the X1 voice commands. It won't be as rigid and should be able to adapt to variations in our voice (things like accent, cadence, etc). It can improve just by interacting with you, vs having to get an update every time.

What has to happen is that they have to 'teach' Cortana how to interact with the X1, which could take some time.

In my experience, out of the three, Siri currently comes in last. A major reason behind that is they are relying on other services, namely Bing and WolframAlpha and can only do so much with things they have no control over. Also, Siri's natural language understanding is quite lacking compared to the competition because where Google and Microsoft have been working and refining this technology for years, Apple just bought it without any prior research in the field. Siri just understands a bunch of predefined syntaxes, most of the time just opening up search: "Okay, here is what I have found." On the other hand, it's amazing to see how Cortana interprets speech in real time, word by word. Even if it detects a word wrong, it consults Bing to match and replace it with the most probable word. These are the traits of a truly advanced voice assistant, and it's only in beta right now.