May 2014 Desktops

If you were around in the days of WinXP, you would have seen a couple hundred desktop posts a month. Today there is very few a month.

I've been using Microsoft OS's for 20 years before that ;D  But yea.. it's not that the ability to do it has dropped off.. feels like more of the desire to do so has.  XP kinda needed it.. after that, meh.  Apparently I'm not the only one who grew out of that phase.  Nowadays it's mainly just a decent theme, a start menu replacement if that's your thing and done.  It just sounded like in your previous post that you were implying it couldn't be done, if I misread that then disregard.

I've been using Microsoft OS's for 20 years before that ;D  But yea.. it's not that the ability to do it has dropped off.. feels like more of the desire to do so has.  XP kinda needed it.. after that, meh.  Apparently I'm not the only one who grew out of that phase.  Nowadays it's mainly just a decent theme, a start menu replacement if that's your thing and done.

TBH, now that Microsoft has cleaned up and streamlined the Windows UI, I've found very little reason to alter anything. XP's UI was too clutterific, and needed the addons to clean up.

Guys, please keep this desktops thread free from this kind of chatter (though I do agree with the sentiments expressed so far).

• Like 1

Desktop mods peaked with WinXP and has been tapering off ever since

The main reason for that is that Windows XPs interface was said to be bad, no one has complained about the Windows Aero look in Vista and onwards, there was just no reason anymore to create new styles as the default ones looked great. (Throguh I think the Windows XP style also looked great, especialy Windows Media Center edition).

2HiLAdP.jpg

Start Screen

c9yj64N.jpg

Desktop Homescreen

not much has changed on my probook

Rainmeter widgets: I2 bar, omnimo, and glasses 

wallpaper: Lamborghini Aventador fixed up dmc Luxury 

Start screen wallpaper : Model: Jennifer Nguyen

Nothing too special this month. This is "vanilla" Windows 8 as there are actually some things that I don't like about Windows 8.1 and its updates.
. . . I'll be replacing this operating system in 16 days anyway.

Operating system: Windows 8.
Wallpaper: Img1 of default Earth theme.
Applications: 7-Zip, FTP Voyager, GIF Recorder, Pale Moon, VLC Media Player, and ReIconCache.

The last application deserves a special mention as it was shared with me by a friend. It corrects a bug in the Windows taskbar (in Windows 7 and later) where the icon does not automatically update itself. You can download it here.

163aecD.jpg

VsKAieq.png

Here's mine, wallpaper changes every hour, Display Fusion using Interfacelift as a source

CGzRFRB.png

Whats the name of that Twitter app? I thought it was Tweetz but its nothing comes up in the Windows Store. Wouldn't mind getting that :) 

7StnoLM.jpg

Backgrounds change every 30min (1 hour per monitor) out of a few hundred of them.

Minimum UI as I like it (hence why I'm quite fond of Windows 8)

397739333518498211449455.png

sauce for the image, not the image per se, but the drawings? that version of venom is badass and who's the guy behind hulk

sauce for the image, not the image per se, but the drawings? that version of venom is badass and who's the guy behind hulk

I'll help Damien out here :p Mike Mitchell made those portraits ;)

• Like 1