Who or what is to blame for adblocking?

Adblocking  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Who or what is to blame for the use of adblocking

• Advertisers. Their unscrupulous and annoying methods led to the development of adblocking software
    • Users. People don't like to see ads, even if they know it is a source of revenue for the site they visit
    • Other. Specify

Popups,expanding ads,ads that make any noise without user interaction was the main reason I first started using an ad-blocker. (so the ad creators were the first to blame, but the sites that allow that type of ads add to the problem).

Popups,expanding ads,ads that make any noise without user interaction was the main reason I first started using an ad-blocker. (so the ad creators were the first to blame, but the sites that allow that type of ads add to the problem).

Like this?

[youtube]

[/youtube]

Advertisers.  Deception and trickery should not be rewarded.  A-holes of the Internet.

I try really hard not to block ads from sites I frequent.  They've got to pay the bills, after all.  I also don't mind static image ads.  I'm surprised every so often of new products/companies discovered via ads.

To play devil's advocate: some of the more reputable advertisers swear up and down that it really is a small group of 'rogue' advertisers who make and sell those annoying advertisements, and also deny ever having a hand in making malware.

Online advertising has been totally out of control for years.  From banners that stick the little Windows close button in their image to trick unsuspecting users to ads that mimic something on the website that a user would intentionally click on, it is absolutely criminal.  Let's say you live on Main Street, and you take the interstate home from work every day.  The way internet advertisers behave would be the equivalent of putting up a sign on the side of the interstate pointing to Main Street, when that exit would really take you into a McDonald's parking lot or something.  99% of them aren't actually trying to sell you a product, they're just trying to farm clicks and get you to put some of their malware on your computer.

It's no single entity's fault why people block adverts.

Some webmasters take it too far and cram massive adverts all over the page, have popup's and adverts that blast sound out.

A lot of malicious adverts are out there, It's impossible for ad networks like Google Adwords to police everything, for example Google some popular free software and chances are the first results will be adverts linking to malicious downloads.

Adobe Reader:

155i1s1.jpg

qo7dpl.jpg

With that in mind ad-blockers can keep the average inexperienced internet user safe on-line.

Then you get to the main reason, when you have been using the internet for years you simply just get sick of seeing adverts, especially the ones that flash and change colour all the time.

Personally i hate adverts, however I also run a website which stays on-line purely thanks to ad-revenue. With that in mind I understand both sides side of the argument. I don't show any adverts to people who actually log in to the website which is a fair compromise I think.

With that in mind ad-blockers can keep the average inexperienced internet user safe on-line.

This is probably one of the best points so far. I always install adblocking software on friends/family's computers because the bulk of the issues they have is downloading crap from ads. Remove the ads, remove the source of malware.