games with gold xbox live xbl xbox one xbox 360 microsoft

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 13 May 2014 - 15:08

We’re pleased to bring Games with Gold to Xbox Live Gold members on Xbox One in June. Members will have subscription-based access to free games ranging from top hits to breaking indie stars. The program will launch on Xbox One with “Max: The Curse of Brotherhood” and “Halo: Spartan Assault.” A single Gold membership will get you access to the free games for both Xbox One and Xbox 360.

This is buried in the Kinectless SKU news.

http://news.xbox.com...ng-more-choices

And you don't get to keep the games according to the fine print. :/

Xbox One:

• Halo: Spartan Assault
  • Max: The Curse of Brotherhood

Xbox 360:

• Dark Souls
  • Charlie Murder
  • Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition

-----

Xbox Games with Gold: May 2014

#2 MightyJordan

MightyJordan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 5 32GB

Posted 13 May 2014 - 15:15

Nice to see them branch it out to Xbox One so soon. Anyone here played Halo: Spartan Assault? I took a brief look at it when it was first released on Windows Phone but never got around to trying it out.

EDIT: Ahh, I misread; I thought Halo: Spartan Assault was the 360 game. So even better, it's two Xbox One games and two Xbox 360 games each month; I thought they were doing one of each. :p The 360 games for next month are Dark Souls and Charlie Murder. Ooh, and a bonus game! Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition. My brother's definitely gonna want to play me on that now especially since he gave me his old arcade stick. Can't dodge it for much longer! :laugh:

#3 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 13 May 2014 - 15:29

A small sacrifice which enables better games in the end (Y) They can't continue with the selection they have now in the face of PS+. Keeping them is worthless when they're so old / already so popular you own them.

Glad I held off on Max and Halo though. They had terrible prices to begin with. Very happy Munky today :D Feel like we should merge every debate we've had into one super topic to close the deal :laugh:

#4 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 13 May 2014 - 16:25

They're also going to be doing the weekly deals for gold members it says, so I'm guessing gold members on Xbox One will get nice sales for things after June 9th.

Really, all these, in my mind, big announcements and you'd think they'd wait for E3 to do it, guess they have other plans.  Phil already making his mark I'd say.

#5 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 May 2014 - 16:36

I think, given what happened last year, they want E3 to be about games and games only.

Looks like MS is in full speed recovery mode as I though GwG wasn't due on XB1 until Nov time. I haven't checked the market place much but there isn't many titles to give away for free each month.

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 16:45

I think, given what happened last year, they want E3 to be about games and games only.

Looks like MS is in full speed recovery mode as I though GwG wasn't due on XB1 until Nov time. I haven't checked the market place much but there isn't many titles to give away for free each month.

There could be a number of games out of the ID@Xbox program that hit in June and later that they can tap into maybe, but I agree that there isn't much right now.

#7 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 17:38

I haven't ditched my XBL sub since I beta tested the service but for a couple weeks when I was waiting for a paycheck during college, so I don't forsee that being an issue :p

As I said in the other thread I'm excited about this as there are a handful of early release games I haven't bothered to pick up yet so I'll likely cash in big between this and the deals program.

#8 Kvally

Kvally

Neowin Veteran

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 13 May 2014 - 17:47

Yippy skippy...game rentals like PSN+. We get to keep the games on Xbox 360, but rent them on the Xbox One. So confusing.

#9 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 17:53

Yippy skippy...game rentals like PSN+. We get to keep the games on Xbox 360, but rent them on the Xbox One. So confusing.

Not sure how it's renting if you're playing them for free. Being able to continue playing them is a legitimate benefit of having a gold account.

#10 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 13 May 2014 - 17:53

If MS wants to offer new and time relevant content, even have release day content being free, they pretty much have to. I don't think it's that great if the future simply holds games you played 3 years ago.

For anyone that has dissed the PS+ method just wait till you start getting new games for free the day they are released, or content that's within <12 months old. Don't think you'll be singing the same song then.

#11 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 13 May 2014 - 17:54

*Insert obligatory "who doesn't have Gold" comment here* :p If you've subbed for 11 years, are you going to stop now?

This is good news. Better games and more of them (Y) For all we know they will make the games permanent again once the game library expands.

#12 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 May 2014 - 18:56

I think it's fine for me in a sense since I personally don't replay lots of games I get, so "renting" is fine as well.

#13 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 13 May 2014 - 19:05

If MS wants to offer new and time relevant content, even have release day content being free, they pretty much have to. I don't think it's that great if the future simply holds games you played 3 years ago.

For anyone that has dissed the PS+ method just wait till you start getting new games for free the day they are released, or content that's within <12 months old. Don't think you'll be singing the same song then.

Totally agree. The fact of the matter is it will lead to much better games being available.

#14 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 13 May 2014 - 22:36

finally!

#15 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 13 May 2014 - 22:48

That's a bit unfair. Some people like the thought of actually owning the games in some form.

I like that idea myself, I just don't fall into the camp that is against Sony's method (I own their console and pay for ps+ quite happily after all :laugh:)

*Insert obligatory "who doesn't have Gold" comment here* :p If you've subbed for 11 years, are you going to stop now?

This is good news. Better games and more of them (Y) For all we know they will make the games permanent again once the game library expands.

This is another situation where in a perfect world, I think everyone would prefer ability to keep the games regardless of your subscription, but then reality sets in.

I'm not shocked at all that it came to this. You can't expect MS or Sony to just give us free games that were released recently without some way of making it profitable for them in the long run. Tying them to a subscription is probably the only way a system like this could last.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!