Twitch chooses Google over Microsoft amid multiple buyout offers

Not sure what's up with your internet conenction, I can stram live youtube events at 1080 and with no buffer or delay 90% of the time, can't say the same for Twitch sadly 

Not sure why you're asking about my internet connection when you're the one having problems, I can watch Twitch streams on Source quality fine.

My issue is with Google's policy of regression or flip-flopping with basic features on YouTube such as player size and resolution. Not to mention the G+ rubbish.

I would prefer that they don't ruin Twitch with their grubby mitts.

Normal SOP will be to say "oh we're not going to change anything." Then a year or 2 down the road they'll start to crack down on everything.

More like 2 weeks, based on the recent purchases.

Terrible news. I wonder how this is going to affect our favorite streamers.

Also twitch is part of justin.tv so how is that going to work? Justin.tv selling the brand or what? I didn't see that mentioned anywhere.

With Google's tendency to outright ignore some platforms, I really hope they don't gain control of Twitch. The guys there seem much more eager to be everywhere.

On the scale of bad news this is up there with Facebook buying Oculus :no:

It is bad :(

There's another part to this rumour saying MS were trying to get involved - I guess the only reason this isn't as bad as that is keeping Twitch multiplatform.

It is bad :(

There's another part to this rumour saying MS were trying to get involved - I guess the only reason this isn't as bad as that is keeping Twitch multiplatform.

Exactly.

If we know anything about MS, its that they are perfectly happy to support all platforms with their services, even competitors. Google has proven quite the opposite. So if I had the choice, MS all the way.

It wouldn't shock me if MS got into the bidding in the first place because Google was interested. MS is keenly aware of how Google does business and they might have wanted to protect themselves.

Exactly.

If we know anything about MS, its that they are perfectly happy to support all platforms with their services, even competitors. Google has proven quite the opposite. So if I had the choice, MS all the way.

It wouldn't shock me if MS got into the bidding in the first place because Google was interested. MS is keenly aware of how Google does business and they might have wanted to protect themselves.

I see it the other way? Why would MS want a Twitch app on the PS platform when they could turn it into their own exclusive service? Google on the other hand would want to monetize it to the largest audience possible.

Youtube for example has had support on both platforms. Either way, it still sucks that Google will be in charge. Would be better for Twitch to stay an independent company. Google own too much of the internet already lol.

I see it the other way? Why would MS want a Twitch app on the PS platform when they could turn it into their own exclusive service? Google on the other hand would want to monetize it to the largest audience possible.

Youtube for example has had support on both platforms. Either way, it still sucks that Google will be in charge. Would be better for Twitch to stay an independent company. Google own too much of the internet already lol.

Have you not been following MS' software moves lately?

Why would MS want an Office app on iOS or Android? Why would they want an XBL app on iOS or Android? MS could keep all of that exclusive for a competitive edge, but they don't. The reason they don't is because they see more value in having their services on as many devices as possible, even competitors.

I would wager that if MS acquired the service, they would be happy to keep it going on the ps4. If it means more users on MS services, they would be fine with that. As long as Sony is ok with that, I doubt you would see a change.

Google on the other hand, has not been so eager to support all platforms with their services. Heck even the consoles didn't get the same treatment. Google didn't rush out to get a youtube app done for the ps4. I know it sounds crazy since your right that it makes perfect sense for Google to want to be everywhere, but that is not the case currently.

I can see the future...

"Please sign in with your Google+ account!"

"We see you signed in with a Twitch account. Would you like to link this to your Google+ account?"

"Congratulations, you now have 7 Twitch / Google+ accounts!!"

• Like 3

"Please sign in with your google+ID and click accept to show your real name to continue using this service"

"You can not stream Age of Conan since it shows naked female breasts"

On the scale of bad news this is up there with Facebook buying Oculus :no:

Nah unlike that, this is actually bad news. And unlike that, this will actually effect the service negatively. Not just infuse money and skill. More forced migration to g+ so they can pretend it's massively popular.

We can only hope that this acquisition, if true, will not be as bad as we are making it out to be. In any case my plans to start streaming this summer will stay the course but I've added a contingency plan to alternate the stream schedule between Twitch and HitBox. 

So they chose the one most likely to completely vaporize their service into atoms and pick and chose what they want into their own service.

So they chose the one most likely to completely vaporize their service into atoms and pick and chose what they want into their own service.

What, because Microsoft have no history of buying companies and closing them down to try and favour their own services?

I've never really got the Google hate, I think Youtube is a pretty good service and Twitch would complement it nicely.

Ive seen more companies survive unscarred and to just keep doing what they do at MS than Google.

For better or worse, skype for example should have had some heavy MS oversight to fix their software.

As for twitch complementing YouTube.

Fast forward a few your and they're both YouTube, fast forward a year or less and you have to sign into twitch with your G+ account and use your real name. And any game that isn't safe for kids won't be allowed to stream

Not sure what's up with your internet conenction, I can stram live youtube events at 1080 and with no buffer or delay 90% of the time, can't say the same for Twitch sadly 

More like 95+% of the time.

From what i heard some isp in USA throttle the connection when accessing youtube. That might be why some folks here have so much problem with it.

I'm with Bell Sympatico. Crappy connection and speed. So far i watched three 1080p movies on youtube (one free and two i paid for) and i did not buffer one single time. I watch many Trailers and music videos in 1080p and i rarely if ever buffer.

WOW, was I totally confused. I had no idea what TWITCH Even was. I didn't read much of the articles. All I saw was "Streaming Video games" .. I thought it was like Onlive. But now I find out it's just for watching people play video games. Oh this country is going to crap.

Ive seen more companies survive unscarred and to just keep doing what they do at MS than Google.

For better or worse, skype for example should have had some heavy MS oversight to fix their software.

As for twitch complementing YouTube.

Fast forward a few your and they're both YouTube, fast forward a year or less and you have to sign into twitch with your G+ account and use your real name. And any game that isn't safe for kids won't be allowed to stream

Again, I don't understand why G+ gets such bad press the vast majority of people who use Social Media have a facebook account with their real name, whats the difference? I know not everyone has FB etc I'm just saying, FB is acceptable... where is the difference? Maybe Its just me but I don't understand the issue (other than if you want to talk security) in terms of having one account to manage all. 

I don't get your last point about games that aren't safe for streaming, why would google restrict that? There is plenty adult content on YT?

WOW, was I totally confused. I had no idea what TWITCH Even was. I didn't read much of the articles. All I saw was "Streaming Video games" .. I thought it was like Onlive. But now I find out it's just for watching people play video games. Oh this country is going to crap.

The is what Twitch officially is.

Unofficially Twitch is a web site to watch hawt girls with big boobs play video games. Anyway this is what 90% of wow channels are ...