#1 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,969 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:28

Doom "Mod" Makes The Game Look Very 21st Century

komjlnofrfztcogjdzxl.gif

It might be stretching the definition a little, but this Doom II mod is one of the most technically impressive things I've seen in a long time.

For reference, this is what Doom II looked like upon release.

While this is what the upcoming Total Chaos - Overgrowth looks like.

Yeah. Wow.

Some of the more contemporary additions being made include 16x motion blur and bloom lighting, while smart use of a filter glosses over some of the areas the engine can't be dragged kicking and screaming into the modern era.

Note that this isn't a straight mod, though. The code from a 1994 PC game simply couldn't handle all that extra, new stuff. Instead, it's an all-new game being that'll run on GZDoom and Zandronum, two projects that take the original Doom source code and bolt on stuff like the ability to add things such as lighting effects.

Total Chaos - Overgrowth is intended as a no-guns game set in a post-apocalyptic future. Inspired by STALKER the idea is to explore a wasteland and "use their wit and the hazards they find in the environment to defend themselves".

Total Chaos - Overgrowth [Site]

Source: Kotaku

#2 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,147 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:30

Watched video.
This has nothing to do with Doom.

EDIT: Ah the engine, they used modified Doom engine. Still not impressive.

#3 Veiva

Veiva

Neowinian

• 1,065 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:49

Watched video.
This has nothing to do with Doom.

EDIT: Ah the engine, they used modified Doom engine. Still not impressive.

You really don't know the limits of these 'modified' DOOM engines, do you? I guess not, since you don't find this impressive. Do you think Kirby on the NES is 'not impressive,' either?

This mod is pretty amazing considering the limits of the DOOM engines used, especially Zandronum.

#4 Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

• 999 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:57

Looks very impressive.  I like the 'no-guns' approach too.

#5 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• 1,147 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:57

You really don't know the limits of these 'modified' DOOM engines, do you? I guess not, since you don't find this impressive. Do you think Kirby on the NES is 'not impressive,' either?

This mod is pretty amazing considering the limits of the DOOM engines used, especially Zandronum.

Key question is why?

There are plenty of engines out there without silly limitations of old school shooters.

Heck even starting with the Quake engine makes you less limited (Forest ‘LordHavoc’ Hale Dark Places Engine and Classic Nexuiz).

#6 devn00b

devn00b

Bong On

• 481 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:16

Key question is why?

There are plenty of engines out there without silly limitations of old school shooters.

Heck even starting with the Quake engine makes you less limited (Forest ‘LordHavoc’ Hale Dark Places Engine and Classic Nexuiz).

Why not? Some times the easy way isn't the best way. Perhaps they wanted a challenge?

#7 madd-hatter

madd-hatter

Crazy Hat Salesman

• 1,421 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 16:59

The video was surprisingly good. I'll have to look into it further.

#8 Ned

Ned

• 1,058 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 17:07

Saying a game looks 21 century isn't saying much at all really.  Yeah, that looks like it came out in 2004.  I would not have thought it was the Doom II engine (or a mod of one).

#9 Nerd Rage

Nerd Rage

RAGE!

• 903 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 17:08

It looks ok, but I kind of agree with Alexander on this.  I'm sure there is a mechanic that could outfit a '67 Volkswagen Beetle with a modern hybrid engine, which would be impressive.  But the question is, why?  Sure, it would be a challenge, but what is the benefit. 

Their game concept and art style seems cool, but in a modern engine that idea could turn from "wow, that's neat that they were able to do that" into "that is revolutionary".  Seems like they are limiting themselves quite a bit.

#10 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

• 6,737 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 15:45

And like most modern games the bloom as way over done. So I guess they've got a decent start.

#11 OP Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,969 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 May 2014 - 18:39

It looks ok, but I kind of agree with Alexander on this.  I'm sure there is a mechanic that could outfit a '67 Volkswagen Beetle with a modern hybrid engine, which would be impressive.  But the question is, why?  Sure, it would be a challenge, but what is the benefit. 

Their game concept and art style seems cool, but in a modern engine that idea could turn from "wow, that's neat that they were able to do that" into "that is revolutionary".  Seems like they are limiting themselves quite a bit.

Nahhh... better to drop a Chevy V8 in it!

th?id=HN.608022646049279131&pid=1.7

#12 simplezz

simplezz

Neowinian Senior

• 2,840 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:01

That's quite an upgrade compared to the original (Y)

#13 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,370 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:12

Key question is why?

Someone in the demoscene took an FPGA, created his own CPU, APU and blitter engine for it, JUST to make a (very awesome) intro on it.

Why? Because he could, because it's fun and something extraordinary that people enjoy working on and really sticks out.

Where's the fun in just getting the most modern free engine and having to do nothing, you'd have the whole project completed in a matter of hours and you wouldn't have a clue how any of the underlying parts work.

#14 Forjo

Forjo

Neowinian

• 419 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:19

Just as an aside, do you guys deliberately embed these videos without the fullscreen control, or is yet another thing Youtube does to irritate me?

-Forjo

#15 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,390 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 23 May 2014 - 19:24

The video is not 1080p/60fps.