• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 +ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:45

I always been a windows guy, from 3.1 to 8.1, it seems that the quality of the pc laptops now have declined, even my T440p's "clickpad" not very smooth to use. I hate it when pc makers try to mimic apple and turns to be sub-par product. I'm really thinking of selling my T440p and getting a Macbook Pro or Air. This would be a huge jump for me....i think. :p

Specially that I have a colleague who has a MBP and easily switches to windows to use MS Project and VIsio via expose i think. I find this neat and productive. 

What do you guys think? Is it just a transit urge/phase I'm feeling?

#2 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:51

I've run OSX with Windows in a VM for years and couldn't be a happier, gets you the best of both platforms.

#3 Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:11

I can't say for Macs, but I have been using Linux for the past 1.5 years. Been a learning curve, but once you get settled, it's really not that hard. My Acer Aspire 5750 has been going good with Debian XFCE.

I'd highly consider looking at System76.

#4 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:14

This may be just a phase, but if the desire to switch is very strong give it try.  This is a major decision so give it some serious thought.  Remember if you decide you're not happy with this important decision you can always switch back.  If you realize that you are attracted to both it's okay, it's much more acceptable today.  Remember to be safe and good luck!

And Happy Birthday!

#5 elenarie

elenarie

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Lumia 920 Yellow

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:16

You should absolutely switch, to an ASUS G750 laptop.

#6 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:41

I always been a windows guy, from 3.1 to 8.1, it seems that the quality of the pc laptops now have declined, even my T440p's "clickpad" not very smooth to use. I hate it when pc makers try to mimic apple and turns to be sub-par product. I'm really thinking of selling my T440p and getting a Macbook Pro or Air. This would be a huge jump for me....i think. :p

Specially that I have a colleague who has a MBP and easily switches to windows to use MS Project and VIsio via expose i think. I find this neat and productive. 

Nooooooooooooo !!!!   STOP !!!!!!!!!!     A ThinkPad to a mac ?!?!  Say it isnt so !!

Seriously though-

Actually, I hate the fact they switched to the chicklet style KB & that mousepad is crap -   I have been a huge fan of ThinkPads since my T42 - in fact its the only laptop I have ever owned (now is a X1 Carbon)   but I still dont like Windows 8.1 that much so I have often thought about getting an MBP & running Parallels or BootCamp w/ Windows 7.

I would feel like the biggest hypocrite though because I cant count how many times I have said "macs are for people who are too stupid to own a pc" - now I am considering getting one :/

#7 OP +ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:45

Nooooooooooooo !!!!   STOP !!!!!!!!!!     A ThinkPad to a mac ?!?!  Say it isnt so !!

Seriously though-

Actually, I hate the fact they switched to the chicklet style KB & that mousepad is crap -   I have been a huge fan of ThinkPads since my T42 - in fact its the only laptop I have ever owned (now is a X1 Carbon)   but I still dont like Windows 8.1 that much so I have often thought about getting an MBP & running Parallels or BootCamp w/ Windows 7.

I would feel like the biggest hypocrite though because I cant count how many times I have said "macs are for people who are too stupid to own a pc" - now I am considering getting one :/

PC hardware is declining. I still have a really good T420. Probably people with a mac are smarter if they use it right. For example, can run windows and .exe's whenever they need it. :p

#8 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:51

PC hardware is declining. I still have a really good T420. Probably people with a mac are smarter if they use it right. For example, can run windows and .exe's whenever they need it. :p

I agree with you, of course that saying was always about how dumbed-down OSX is.  A mbp with 8-16GB of RAM and you could swap back and forth all day long between OSes -  Heck,  I wish the engineering, quality, and genius that go into apple products would happen on the PC side.

Nobody makes a laptop on par with a mbp.

Actually I think the next big jump there is on features/tech on the mbp I will buy one - probably sell my Carbon too.

Everyone on the PC side wants to make things as cheap as possible, the world is flooded with absolute crap-quality laptops (Acer, HP, Compaq, etc)  the ones who are willing to pay 2x for a ThinkPad arent enough to cause a shift.

#9 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:00

Yeah I know what you mean... I have the T530 and it is OK, but they really collapsed it with the T540. The ThinkPad line appears to be at its end (and that counts the T530 in it too as I have a T520 as well and the keyboard is night and day...). The new TouchPad without any TrackPoint physical buttons at all is a real shame...

If you can get a decent value for your machine I wouldn't say it is a bad thing to try...

I agree with you, of course that saying was always about how dumbed-down OSX is.  A mbp with 8-16GB of RAM and you could swap back and forth all day long between OSes -  Heck,  I wish the engineering, quality, and genius that go into apple products would happen on the PC side.

Actually I think the next big jump there is on features/tech on the mbp I will buy one - probably sell my Carbon too.

I think we won't see any substantial investments in the PC market for a while sadly. I think MS basically entering the market isn't going to spur innovation at OEMs. Instead it is going to force them into divesting from the industry. If Microsoft was genuine about intending to foster innovation they should have offered reference designs to the OEMs... But I won't derail the topic.

#10 OP +ultimate99

ultimate99

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:15

How much should I charge for it in CAD, it's 5 months old. 

#11 blerk

blerk

Banned User

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:57

Depends if you want to use OSX or Windows really, and what you want to use it for. If you want to run OSX and use Office:Mac - you'll regret that decision, Office:Mac is a poor imitation of Office for Windows, and it doesn't integrate nicely with Mavericks. If you really want to run a Windows VM using that fusion mode or whatever that Parallels has - well it's clunky but acceptable, but I tend to boot straight into Windows. 

Photoshop, programs like that are fine on OSX.  Slightly different but no big difference.

Also, the MBP Retina >> the Air. The price differential and the loss of some minor battery life is well worth the better screen. 

Comparing my 13" Retina to other peoples X1 Carbons, I don't see any real reason you'd regret buying either. Build quality is good on both, screen is nice on both, and both have good battery life and performance. Price is about the same too.

If I was buying right now, I'd probably get the X1 but that's simply because I'm much faster at doing work on Windows than OSX - OSX is a little clunky in my opinion when it comes to window management, and I'm better with the Windows keyboard shortcuts. I am also one of those (apparently strange) people who don't really think that the touchpads on macs is all it is cracked up to be. Pinch-to-zoom is about the only thing I like on it over a typical Windows PC. 

#12 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:17

How much should I charge for it in CAD, it's 5 months old. 

it depends heavily on its specs, including warranty type and length.

I'd value it in the $1K USD area.

#13 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:32

Heck,  I wish the engineering, quality, and genius that go into apple products would happen on the PC side.

There are companies doing it.  The correct answer to that was, nobody makes a laptop on par with a mbp that is inexpensive.  

Thinkpad to MBP, we are moving to an entirely different price arena.

#14 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:38

Happy birthday OP.

No question about it, if you support Communism you should definitely switch. If however you love freedom and democracy you stick with Windows

Spoiler

#15 T3X4S

T3X4S

Neowinian

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:57

There are companies doing it.  The correct answer to that was, nobody makes a laptop on par with a mbp that is inexpensive.  

Thinkpad to MBP, we are moving to an entirely different price arena.

OK - not sure what you are saying - but I am talking about ANY price range of laptop - who is making a PC laptop on par with an MBP ?

"ThinkPad to MBP we are moving to an entirely different price arena" --

Are you trying to say ThinkPads and MBP are not in the same price range ?  Because they are in the same exact price range.
and it is the only price range I am care about.

(When I say ThinkPad I am talking about the T-series and the W-series, and my X1 Carbon) 

I am curious as to who you think is on the same level as a MBP in terms of innovation, quality, and engineering -

I am a lifelong ThinkPad customer, but they are bland workhorses - business laptops for people who dont care about Beats by Dre, or neat colors.